U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 05:51 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,857,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Maybe because I'm a woman I don't get this, but my DH sure is happier since he retired so what this article describes clearly is not a universal experience. I guess we are in the 40% who are truly happy retired. We had a vision of retiring, finally having time to work on our house, selling it, moving to our dream location, and having all the time in the world to pursue our favorite recreational activities and travel. We are finally there and loving our lives. We each have hobbies and are very much self-entertainers. We don't require constant challenges to be happy, although it sometimes seems life keeps throwing them at us!?!. We also know that only boring people get bored. If you are bored, get up and do something. If you have no hobbies, maybe it's just because you didn't have the time to pursue them. Now that you do, get out there and try them to see if you like it. It doesn't have to be expensive. It could be learning to fish, or cook, painting, photography, working on small motors, woodworking, learning a new musical instrument, gardening, cake decorating, hiking, or bird watching, you name it. If you don't like to do it alone then join a club to find a buddy. If you don't like the club, quit it. You decide. Most colleges have a program for seniors to be able to audit classes. All the joy of new knowledge without the bother of being graded or judged. Right now we can't travel because we have two elderly dogs that need us here, so we are putting that off for a year or two and eagerly anticipating it. I can't see a day when I will be totally bored, because the power to fix that is within my own hands. I view the day I retired like a woman who just got out of prison, life was a little sweeter, colors were brighter, the chains were removed and I walked away a free woman at last, hallelujah!!

Shadow I think the next installment will answer what you might not see now. I believe that he gave us a hint and it said that the wife is the answer. Now if I am to guess it should not be about a wife but at having someone there with you in that transition. Retiring alone has got to be very difficult but of course I do not have that experience. But let's see what he says hopefully soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 06:04 AM

29,815 posts, read 34,907,142 times
GolfingDuo, depending on where you live and worked you may know lots of people with 30 plus year careers and the same employer. I had over 35 and the wife over 37 and we know many other similars. The DC region for obvious reasons probably has a higher percentage per capita. I have no doubt that knowing so many with well paying jobs, long in place careers and very often pensions and 401/403 plans along with high home equity has skewed my perception of retirement. Depending on locale retirement can often be a boiler plate plan to be followed and many young people are following the plans of those before them. Many others aren't but that is for another forum.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:06 AM

71,825 posts, read 71,919,037 times
25 years with my first emloyer ,16 years with 2nd who actually took over first.. reminds me ,one more week of full time and part time as of july 1

Old 06-21-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
25 years with my first emloyer ,16 years with 2nd who actually took over first.. reminds me ,one more week of full time and part time as of july 1
Congrats and may you and Marilyn live happily for ever after or at least a very long time.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:15 AM

4,121 posts, read 4,709,249 times
As someone being "retired" next week (asked to retire after 38 years, and we mutually worked it out), I've given great thought to this subject. One area of particular concern is my spousal relationship. My wife retired years ago, and has developed her own life, hobbies, friends and daily routine. Neither of us want to screw that up. My life revolved to some extent around work, although not entirely.

What has really helped is a book: A Couple's Guide to Happy Retirement: For Better or for Worse . . . But Not for Lunch. Does a great job of exploring/explaining post-retirement life. It talks about the phases of retirement. Just like the infamous "five stages of grief", there are very definable stages of retirement.

Highly recommend this book. It's a fairly quick read, and did a good job of making me aware of much of what I will face, before I face it. IOW, I won't have to learn it all the hard way.

PS: Not a financial book at all. 100% on life after retirement. There are a million books on retirement & money, this ain't one of them.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,001,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
As someone being "retired" next week (asked to retire after 38 years, and we mutually worked it out), I've given great thought to this subject. One area of particular concern is my spousal relationship. My wife retired years ago, and has developed her own life, hobbies, friends and daily routine. Neither of us want to screw that up. My life revolved to some extent around work, although not entirely.

What has really helped is a book: A Couple's Guide to Happy Retirement: For Better or for Worse . . . But Not for Lunch. Does a great job of exploring/explaining post-retirement life. It talks about the phases of retirement. Just like the infamous "five stages of grief", there are very definable stages of retirement.

Highly recommend this book. It's a fairly quick read, and did a good job of making me aware of much of what I will face, before I face it. IOW, I won't have to learn it all the hard way.

PS: Not a financial book at all. 100% on life after retirement. There are a million books on retirement & money, this ain't one of them.
Excellent post, thank you! And although the thread mistakenly uses the word financial (according to the article), you've managed to address the topic of the article. And it looks like a very good book for many retirees.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Excellent post, thank you! And although the thread mistakenly uses the word financial (according to the article), you've managed to address the topic of the article. And it looks like a very good book for many retirees.
If you go to the Berkshire Management link homepage you can link to other blog post by the OP article author. The combined blogs gives a good picture of his blog retirement picture and the parts to the whole.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
If you go to the Berkshire Money Management link homepage you van link to other blog post by the OP article author. The combined blogs gives a good picture of his blog retirement picture and the parts to the whole of retirement planning . His follow up blog on the topic talks about the role of part time work to ease possible transition issues.

Last edited by TuborgP; 06-21-2014 at 08:20 AM..

Old 06-21-2014, 09:35 AM
JRR

3,686 posts, read 2,233,446 times
I retired on April 2, and so far I am emphatically in the happy 40%. Alarm goes off at 7 AM; then walking in the park; back for breakfast then with a cup of coffee ready for the stock market open at 9:30. While keeping an eye on the market, do some yard work, work on cleaning up the house for eventual sale and maybe take a nap or watch Netflix or pull out the Nook and read some (whatever strikes my fancy) .

Versus up at 6:30, working all day at a job that had become boring, for a department that did not really appreciate employees and with other people who did not want to be there. They trying to do yard work and other things around the house on the weekends.

I guess I was one of those unlucky people who had a job that was not challenging/fulfilling for the last few years. On the plus side, my identity as a person was not all wrapped up in my employment. So for me, it is no contest; very happy in retirement. My wife joined me two weeks ago and so far, she feels the same way.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:48 AM

5,808 posts, read 4,857,183 times
golfingduo, I'm looking forward to showing you how easy the transition can be if you move to a place with the infrastructure in place to never allow you to be bored, if that is your desire. Some of the neighbors here tell me they have never been so busy in their lives and wake up everyday feeling blessed to live where we do. I enjoy being not quite that busy, but enjoying the ability to wake up with options to be as busy or as lazy as I want to be. I hope you guys do make it here next year to check it out. No matter what your interests, there are plenty of opportunities to engage here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement