U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:26 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,847,776 times

Advertisements

http://www.manchesterjournal.com/business/ci_25991625/planning-retirement

Quote:

Over the next decade roughly 75 million Americans will retire. While most of us are well-aware of the need to plan, save and invest for that momentous moment, very few of us are actually prepared for the non-financial challenges of retirement itself.
Wow what a bold statement. I am sure some of you wonder why did I say that. Well it is true for the vast majority of us. Those of us thinking of retirement are in for a shock. Nirvana of walking the beach hand in hand or golfing or even minding the grands might seem wonderful but after an action packed career settling in for that slow pace will be replaced rather quickly. It affects men more then women since we men generally define ourselves and selfworth based on careers and the money we made. It is even harder for those that are retired because of sickness or other type of job loss where it comes sudden.

So what do we do to make that transition guys? I think it will even be harder on the single men out there. I and the rest of us married men who were successful in thier careers enough to come to a retirement have someone that we can lean on to help in that transition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 09:45 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,892,675 times
Pretty scary!!
I for one could never sit home and do nothing all day, have no interest in golf, fishing maybe.

Would like to travel some but I guess that can get old too.

One thing we have agreed on is after retirement no more pets as we want a more mobile lifestyle, so when I am home animal shelters and rescues are always looking for a helping hand and that's where I'll be.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:47 AM

55,667 posts, read 74,628,627 times
yes that did happen to me sort of like forest gump got scared so bad ran till i had more than i needed.
but let me tell you what happens when you become rich.
when you have slain the dragon
the village does not in fact turn out to cheer
and the beautiful princess does not in fact fall in love with you

Old 06-20-2014, 09:55 AM

2,433 posts, read 1,668,181 times
So when is his next column? I want to read the continuation.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:00 AM

4,481 posts, read 4,743,979 times
No doubt the next article to come, whenever, will be about women not having enough. It seems to rotate and regurgitate at some point.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:01 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,847,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post

I believe he is weekly but I will keep an eye out for it and ammend it here when it does come out.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:09 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,892,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Me as well

Old 06-20-2014, 10:45 AM

2,778 posts, read 1,427,217 times
I think people will probably need to come together more and help each other out. Really, how much do you need to enjoy your retirement? You don't need all of the luxuries that they boomers have-- they probably won't make you happy.

You don't have to do nothing, you just have to get creative... you can downsize everything or heck, just sell your house or buy an RV and live in it.

It's only a problem if you want a 'standard' retirement. Plus, if the problem is widespread enough, markets will open up to cater to that demographic...

Old 06-20-2014, 11:32 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,740,386 times
Golfingduo, your thread title is misleading, even though it's a quote of the first half of a sentence from the linked article. The article is not about saving "enough" money to retire; in fact it's not about finances at all. Nothing wrong with that, of course. My point is that I almost didn't click on your thread at all, thinking it was another how-to-save-enough article. But I'm glad I clicked on it and read the article, as it's a subject that interests me. The second half of your thread title sentence goes on to say something like, "because money and happiness are not related" (or something like that). The implication is that no matter how much money one saves, the money does not solve the "problem" of retirement.

This article and its true subject matter is related to two other recent threads here in the Retirement Forum, the one about retirees sitting in malls day after day and one other one along those same lines entitled "Are you sitting at home waiting to die?"

I am already on record in those and other threads as agreeing with the writer of your article, namely that walking on the beach probably is not going to be enough to keep us engaged and vital beyond the first couple of months. I also agree that what to actually DO in retirement is more likely to be a problem for men than for women.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:40 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
Yep; its just another article that money and time can not buy happiness. It tends tho to imply that those numbers where in fact happier when working. Its just one point of view from person who obviously its true of. Many having no self worth or little other than work is not something new really. A writer and a CEO are hardly most people tho;IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement