U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 09:57 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,307,947 times

Advertisements

I can't view the website clearly. Since I don't have a smartphone I guess I won't be using it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 10:40 AM

2,980 posts, read 2,707,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
A lot of Uber users are unaware that pricing by the company is also not regulated and can be jacked up without warning at busy times. The company uses an algorithm to raise and lower the price based on customer demand. At extremely popular usage times, such as in bad weather or on holidays when many people go out drinking and need a ride home, rates can be as many as seven times the normal price.
Uber kept new drivers off the road to encourage surge pricing and increase fares | The Verge

Some of the latest Uber-related news stories are coming from women complaining about harassment from Uber drivers.
Uber

Here's a news report about an Uber driver arrested for allegedly kidnapping a drunk woman he picked up in LA and took to a motel instead of home:
Off-Duty Uber Driver Allegedly Kidnaps ‘Bar-Hopping’ Woman | KTLA 5

While Uber maintains is "surge pricing" is a boon to its drivers, others maintain that the drivers aren't getting the extra money and are starting to get disgruntled. Just what you want ... a driver who is unhappy with his unregulated employer.
Uber surge pricing: The company should give the extra money to the driver.

Coordinated blockades all over Europe — including London, Madrid and Berlin — stopped traffic in those cities in a protest of Uber by taxi drivers earlier this month. Taxi companies complain that their drivers are subject to serious, expensive requirements and regulations that Uber currently is ignoring. Taxi drivers say this lack of regulation is placing the public at great risk. It doe seem to me that the personal information a driver can glean from a passenger due to the way Uber drivers are contacted does, indeed, put passengers in greater physical jeopardy than they would be using a regulated, licensed cab.
Anti-Uber Protests Shut Down Euro Cities - The Daily Beast

Thanks for bringing some honesty and reality to this thread. The surge pricing article doesn't even begin to describe Uber's surge pricing, probably because it is written by the hipster "journalists" in NYC who don't want to say anything bad about Uber. When the surge pricing kicked in recently during a spring storm in NYC, people were charged $150 to $175 to go just a few blocks, and complaints and criticism made it to the national news. Uber justifies the surge pricing by saying that it is no different than airline fare pricing, based on the laws of supply and demand, and that all transportation companies charge more at times of peak demand.

Uber is nothing more than a bunch of techies who wrote an app and are using it to compete with taxicab companies without any regulation. It is truly amazing how Uber has been able to get as far as it has without regulation, by BSing or maybe paying off government regulators.

A couple of days ago there was story on Uber on TV and they interviewed a guy who drove for Uber part time. He said that he didn't think he needed to be regulated like a taxi driver because he drove only part time. It probably never occurred to that idiot that there are plenty of taxi drivers who drive only part time yet must meet the same standards as those who drive full time. If he decides to cut hair or do dental work part time, I am sure that he would feel that he does not need to meet the same standards as a barber, hairdresser, or dentist.

I have heard of plenty of stories of people taking taxis in third world countries and being robbed of all of their belongings or never making it out alive, but I have never, ever heard of such a thing happening in the US, or other places where taxis are heavily regulated such as London or Paris. Since the US is well on its way to becoming a third world country, maybe Uber is exactly what is needed to help complete the transition.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
What do you know about it? What do you think about it? Is it around where you live?

I kind of resisted the notion at first - but this could be an absolutely great thing for seniors who don't want to drive - but don't care to use public transit systems either. Robyn

Why would this be such a great thing for seniors who don't want to drive? You act like you have never heard of taxicabs before.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:10 AM

2,903 posts, read 4,585,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
I don't know of many elderly senior citizens who can master smartphone apps, their VHS decks have been blinking "00:00" since 1999.
Heh, shows how much you know about elderly senior citizens...their VCRs would be blinking "12:00", not "00:00". <grin>

Old 06-21-2014, 01:29 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,220,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Thanks for bringing some honesty and reality to this thread. The surge pricing article doesn't even begin to describe Uber's surge pricing, probably because it is written by the hipster "journalists" in NYC who don't want to say anything bad about Uber. When the surge pricing kicked in recently during a spring storm in NYC, people were charged $150 to $175 to go just a few blocks, and complaints and criticism made it to the national news. Uber justifies the surge pricing by saying that it is no different than airline fare pricing, based on the laws of supply and demand, and that all transportation companies charge more at times of peak demand.

Uber is nothing more than a bunch of techies who wrote an app and are using it to compete with taxicab companies without any regulation. It is truly amazing how Uber has been able to get as far as it has without regulation, by BSing or maybe paying off government regulators.

A couple of days ago there was story on Uber on TV and they interviewed a guy who drove for Uber part time. He said that he didn't think he needed to be regulated like a taxi driver because he drove only part time. It probably never occurred to that idiot that there are plenty of taxi drivers who drive only part time yet must meet the same standards as those who drive full time. If he decides to cut hair or do dental work part time, I am sure that he would feel that he does not need to meet the same standards as a barber, hairdresser, or dentist.

I have heard of plenty of stories of people taking taxis in third world countries and being robbed of all of their belongings or never making it out alive, but I have never, ever heard of such a thing happening in the US, or other places where taxis are heavily regulated such as London or Paris. Since the US is well on its way to becoming a third world country, maybe Uber is exactly what is needed to help complete the transition.
Really? Do assaults not count? Rape??

D.C. Taxicab Commission: 7 taxi drivers arrested for allegedly assaulting passengers | WJLA.com

Deputies: Capitola Village taxi driver attempted to rape passenger in Aptos | Santa Cruz News - KSBW Home

Cab Driver Charged with Sexual Assault - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

NYC Taxi Driver 'Rapist' Falls for DNA Trick - FindLaw Blotter

Let me know if you need more links.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:47 PM

1,193 posts, read 943,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corleon3 View Post
Here is what I know about it:

2.5 years ago, i answered an ad on cl that said, verbatim:

"Drive hybrid taxi San Francisco......."

I don't have a big opinion on Uber one way or another, but this sure seems like a post from someone with a vested interest.....

Old 06-21-2014, 03:25 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,938,980 times
Quote:
Why would this be such a great thing for seniors who don't want to drive? You act like you have never heard of taxicabs before.
Oh yes - we have have heard of cabs - and use them extensively these days when we travel (mostly to larger metro areas).

I live in a pretty large geographical area with a lot of suburbs and not a lot of cabs. And it can sometimes take > 30 minutes to get a cab to one's place of origin (we waited about 20-25 minutes in some parts of Houston - which has more cabs than we do). My husband and I still drive. But my father - at age 95 - really shouldn't be (although he still does). So I'm kind of exploring whether this would be a decent option for him. For example - he takes a course at our local university (OLLI) and he says he doesn't want to stand outside for a half hour after his class with his thumb up his a** waiting for a cab when it's 90+ outside. I wouldn't want to do that either.

Also - as my husband and I get older - perhaps we won't want to drive as much. And I don't think public transportation facilities in most parts of the US are a decent alternative to driving (a lot of public transportation facilities are old - dirty - crowded - not senior/handicap friendly - too hot in the summer - too cold in the winter - etc.).

Guess one thing I've figured out from reading the messages in this thread is that when all the cabs disappear in Manhattan during lousy weather - if we happen to be on vacation there or in a similar place - we shouldn't be counting on Uber either. Robyn

P.S. When we want airport transport - usually but not always when we'll have a lot of jet lag/be dead on our feet upon arrival - we use Carey Transportation or similar. "Executive car service". In our area - it's about an $80 minimum one way (including tax and tip). Not practical for everyday use. In Houston - airport to downtown cost was about $70 for a similar service.

Last edited by Robyn55; 06-21-2014 at 03:56 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Heh, shows how much you know about elderly senior citizens...their VCRs would be blinking "12:00", not "00:00". <grin>
I'm convinced there were only 3 people in the whole country who ever figured out how to program VCRs .

Everything is so much easier today. From DVRs to Rokus to internet TVs. The person who wrote the original message ought to check out this thread I started a while back:

Best Streaming Media Sources For Seniors?

There are more seniors who lack the money for the latest stuff than the smarts to use it. So many tend to be pretty creative IMO. Robyn

Old 06-21-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
...I have heard of plenty of stories of people taking taxis in third world countries and being robbed of all of their belongings or never making it out alive, but I have never, ever heard of such a thing happening in the US, or other places where taxis are heavily regulated such as London or Paris. Since the US is well on its way to becoming a third world country, maybe Uber is exactly what is needed to help complete the transition.
Well the reason you've never heard of anything like that in Paris is that there are only about 100 cabs in Paris (not really - but it's seems like it). Paris hasn't added a new cab since about the 60's now. And it is actually almost impossible to get a cab there anywhere. Except perhaps from your hotel where the hotel greases the cabs to pick up passengers at the hotel. People who live in Paris regularly pay hundreds of dollars a year to cab companies just so a cab company will show up at their homes when they call one. It's a totally ridiculous situation. The last time we were in Paris was in 2008. And we were never able to hail a cab back to our hotel - ever - from anywhere.

Also - on our trip to Paris before that - maybe early 2000's - we had a real goniff of an Arab cab driver - who tried to drive us through Lyon to get us from here to there in Paris. When we protested his route - he said he didn't speak English - or French either . You can take cab drivers in Paris and shove them off a cliff as far as I'm concerned.

OTOH - all of our cab experiences during our many trips to the UK - including London - have been quite pleasant. Our drivers have been professional and courteous. Robyn

Old 06-21-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777

Yes, assaults and rape count; I'm not that much of a male chauvinist. LOL I thank you for pointing these out to me as I never watch the local news, but I watch the national and world news religiously. So you've proved my point, if things like this happen with regulation, God only knows what might happen with less regulation. I drove a taxicab many years ago and I had to be fingerprinted as part of the licensing process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or