U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 08:07 PM

2,980 posts, read 2,705,274 times

Advertisements

Here is why taxi drivers need to be regulated:

Tourist assaulted after refusing to pay $2 per foot for cab ride | New York Post

I can't believe this happened at a major airport, and the gateway to the US. Of all people, it just happened to be a Russian who spoke little English. As if Russians didn't have bad enough impressions of us already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 09:17 PM

5,170 posts, read 8,694,591 times
Smile Technology provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Got tired of looking for basic info about how it works on their web site. Couldn't find anything about whose car is used, or insurance, or licensing of the service, or driver screening. I did find this:

Not a transportation provider? What do they think it means to give someone a ride in exchange for money? Are they saying this to avoid having to register as a taxi or limo service? And they claim you can call for a ride in the middle of the night and someone will be there in a few minutes?

Don't like this "service."
From what I understand, Uber provides the technology and considers itself a technology provider.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:36 AM

282 posts, read 357,998 times
I use both Uber and taxis. I have had the following negative experiences in taxis:

- rude driver
- rude dispatcher
- car did not show up
- car infested with cockroaches
- credit card machine not working
- meter manipulated
- attempted to take the longest route possible
- refused to take me to my destination
- A/C not working, and clearly hasn't for a very long time
- car feeling like it's about to fall apart
- driver smells like brewery
- car reeks of cigarette smoke
- driver smashes into rear of car stopped at light

On Uber, I have had none of those experiences. The only negative experiences I've had are:

- driver unaware of one-way street, and tries to turn wrong way
- driver got lost
- driver could not find a basic destination (i.e., the Capitol, in Washington, DC)

The first two were UberX, whose drivers are clearly over-dependent on GPS. GPS is not particularly helpful in DC. The third was a black-car driver.

DC has a distinct problem with its taxis, and thus left a lot of space for a better customer experience. Uber has a problem with its drivers knowing the city.

Overall, I prefer to walk. I'll do Metro during the week at peak hours, but the trains are pretty unreliable other times.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:58 PM

171 posts, read 181,082 times
I'm waiting for Autonomous vehicles... who needs a driver.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:03 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,232,688 times
In today's news from Silicon Valley Business Journal

"Uber Technologies and Lyft suffered a significant defeat at the [California] state Capitol Wednesday when the Senate Insurance Committee moved forward legislation that would boost insurance requirements covering drivers who use private vehicles to accept ride requests via the smartphone apps.

Despite vigorous opposition and intense lobbying by Uber and Lyft, legislators voted 9-1 to move AB 2293 by Susan Bonilla, D-Concord, forward with a requirement that so-called Transportation Network Companies must provide $750,000 liability insurance between the time a driver turns on a ride app until the driver accepts a call for service. After that, the state Public Utilities Commission requires $1 million insurance."

Old 06-26-2014, 03:56 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,929,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTYD View Post
I'm waiting for Autonomous vehicles... who needs a driver.
Wouldn't hold my breath before I got out and did things while I was waiting for driverless cars :

Holman Jenkins: Google Car, Meet Asiana's Pilots - WSJ

Robyn

Last edited by Robyn55; 06-26-2014 at 04:05 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 04:04 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,929,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
In today's news from Silicon Valley Business Journal

"Uber Technologies and Lyft suffered a significant defeat at the [California] state Capitol Wednesday when the Senate Insurance Committee moved forward legislation that would boost insurance requirements covering drivers who use private vehicles to accept ride requests via the smartphone apps.

Despite vigorous opposition and intense lobbying by Uber and Lyft, legislators voted 9-1 to move AB 2293 by Susan Bonilla, D-Concord, forward with a requirement that so-called Transportation Network Companies must provide $750,000 liability insurance between the time a driver turns on a ride app until the driver accepts a call for service. After that, the state Public Utilities Commission requires $1 million insurance."
This was discussed on CNBC early this morning. And - reading the article the article you linked - it seems that the insurance requirements for cabs in California are a lot more rigorous than what we have in Florida (ours here in Florida are a joke).

Regardless - I don't see any reason to treat cabs and drivers from outfits like Uber differently when it comes to insurance requirements. Also - I guess any passenger has to realize that when he gets into an Uber or similar car - the driver may only have "personal" auto insurance - as opposed to the kind of auto insurance one needs if one is hiring out his car as if it were a cab/limo. And that personal auto insurance may be null and void in an Uber situation. We have tons of un/underinsured motorist coverage - so I don't particularly care about this issue. Just pointing it out. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or