U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 05:05 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,223,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Every night I get asked, "What's for tea?" I hate it so I just say, "I don't know. Whatever YOU are making."
And you're in the States?
I think I'd answer, "Bigelow, Celestial, Tetley, or plain old Lipton?" ... but I'm onery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 07:16 PM

19,818 posts, read 18,826,487 times
Every night I get asked, "What's for tea?" I hate it so I just say, "I don't know. Whatever YOU are making."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
And you're in the States?
I think I'd answer, "Bigelow, Celestial, Tetley, or plain old Lipton?" ... but I'm onery
Thank you again, Gandalara!! I hear it so often that I never even thought of that. Tonight I didn't even answer. Tomorrow I will holler LIPTON!

and tomorrow night is Last Tango in Halifax. He knows enough to get out of my way when that's on.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:38 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,387,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Thank you again, Gandalara!! I hear it so often that I never even thought of that. Tonight I didn't even answer. Tomorrow I will holler LIPTON!

and tomorrow night is Last Tango in Halifax. He knows enough to get out of my way when that's on.
Europeans think our teas (Lipton, etc...) are really bad.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:17 AM

1,983 posts, read 2,631,742 times
Old joke that demonstrates Yorkshire's economy of speech:

First Yorkshire farmer: "What'd you give your horse when he had the ague?"

Second Yorkshire farmer: "I gave mine turpentine."

First Yorkshire farmer: "I gave mine turpentine -- mine died."

Second Yorkshire farmer: "Aye, so did mine."

Old 08-03-2014, 07:15 PM

THAT was a great episode tonight. Gandalara's hint about wiki didn't even spoil it even though I went and read it when she warned us not to. Knowing what would happen was fine because they way it happened and the emotions and the expressions on the faces and so much more made it fantabulous!

(still feeling weepy)

Hubby, who comes from that general area, even understood the part about the frog spawn and laughed. Apparently one of them had tricked the other into putting the frog spawn into his Wellies back when they were kids.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:31 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,387,939 times
Yes, so cute.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:49 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,721,370 times
Great episode. I think I can bare waiting for following seasons when they put out quality like this. Same goes for Doc Martin.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:41 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,622,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Came late to this- I've enjoyed the show as much for the accents (which I pretty much understand, although I was married to a sandgrown'un and we lived in Lancs) as anything else (points if you know where my ex was from). Maybe the locals don't like it, but I enjoy Derek Jacobi's version of the accent, as much for the economy of language I heard so much in the North.

We had a friend who had a farm like Gillian's, and just like Gillian, she worked in the shops to support the farm, and just like Gillian, ran herself into the ground between the two.

As for "tea;" remember that "tea" doesn't always mean the brownish liquid. It's the evening meal in many parts of England, especially in the North.

I don't love my ex, but I still love England from, say, Birmingham up to the border, much more so than the posh south.
Lancashire?

Old 08-04-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Lancashire?
I don't think so because I asked my Lancashire hubby what it meant and he had no idea. Maybe some part of Lancs that he's not familiar with though. (What's a sandgrown'un?)

Old 08-04-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't think so because I asked my Lancashire hubby what it meant and he had no idea. Maybe some part of Lancs that he's not familiar with though. (What's a sandgrown'un?)
I cheated and looked it up. Means from Blackpool. Sand-tower-illuminations. Old seaside resort area.

For Yorkshire there are off-comed-uns which means they don't come from Yorkshire. And Yorkshire is God's Own Country and its residents used to be called tykes. (Or summat like that.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement