U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 06:01 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Europeans think our teas (Lipton, etc...) are really bad.
They are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 06:02 AM

Was last night's episode with the wedding the final one for the season?

Old 08-04-2014, 09:10 AM

2,455 posts, read 2,625,860 times
Yep, the synopsis on Comcast said season finale. Lovely ending but you just know more bad things coming next season.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:42 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,232,688 times
I loved the fantastic happy grin on William's face when he saw his Mom and Kate on the dancefloor.

And the final episode shoulda been 2 hours long!

Old 08-04-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I loved the fantastic happy grin on William's face when he saw his Mom and Kate on the dancefloor.

And the final episode shoulda been 2 hours long!
It was brilliant to end the episode and season that way, with each couple asleep together the morning after the wedding. I loved the scene of John and Judith asleep in separate chairs with their heads turned away from each other, lol. This is one of the best series ever conceived and written, imo.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:28 AM

6,065 posts, read 9,529,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'm sort of cooled on DA. Just too long between seasons. Same with Doc Martin. I don't know why those British can't get it together to keep one season after another going. LOL

Speaking of British...is anyone having a hard time getting Gillian's speech? Sounds like she has a mouthful of marbles. I'm missing a third of her words. Maybe I need a hearing aid....or is that unclear diction a dialect of some kind? Just wondering.
I don't think it's the programs so much as the schedule NPR chooses to air them here.

BTW, no more Doc Martin, I believe. I'm pretty sure I read that this was the last season. If so, it was a nice way to end, I thought.

Gillian's Yorkshire. It's not an easy dialect to understand.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:29 AM

19,838 posts, read 18,855,957 times
Quote:
It was brilliant to end the episode and season that way, with each couple asleep together the morning after the wedding. I loved the scene of John and Judith asleep in separate chairs with their heads turned away from each other, lol. This is one of the best series ever conceived and written, imo.
Only one word comes to mind when I see John: lout.

Yes, we must be getting treated to one of the best series ever on tv. This last episode left us feeling good and wanting more, it resolved a lot of loose threads, the venue for the wedding was perfect, etc. etc. etc. Can't say enough good about it.

I loved it when the relatives who lived in NZ? weren't coming but they actually did show up and were in the same room talking on their cell phone with our heroes thinking they were still in NZ.

I also loved it when Robbie and Gillian got back together, as they should be. Something is still left to be resolved and that is the murder and if Gillian can ever get over it. Since they keep bringing it up, there must be some reason.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
It's a good thing I'm a visual artist in watching this series. I can create my own version of what Gillian is saying by picking up on visual cues mostly her facial expressions.

So her speech is regional dialect, and not a reflection of education?

Oh, one thing I am picking up is the constant use of the word "right" in response to what someone else says or in response to a not-so-great situation. I actually enjoy that (mostly coming from Caroline) and I wonder if "right" in Brit vocabulary means 'OK, I'll go with the flow'—or some other unpublishable response??
In the UK, "right" can mean everything from enthusiastic agreement to disagreement/criticism. It's all in how you say it.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Europeans think our teas (Lipton, etc...) are really bad.
They are - they're insipid. So's our instant coffee, compared to what you can get in Mexico or Europe.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:10 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,724,075 times
As posted earlier. A marvelous last season episode. Couldn't have been done better in my mind.

Only one concern for future episodes. When questioning Cecilia about losing the bungalow because Alan didn't act in a timely manner and that she obviously hadn't "trained him well enough", she replies: "Well not yet." (with a smile)

That seemed a bit telling to me. Hope I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement