Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 08:01 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
As posted earlier. A marvelous last season episode. Couldn't have been done better in my mind.

Only one concern for future episodes. When questioning Cecilia about losing the bungalow because Alan didn't act in a timely manner and that she obviously hadn't "trained him well enough", she replies: "Well not yet." (with a smile)

That seemed a bit telling to me. Hope I'm wrong.
Could be. She does seem accustomed to getting her own way and I think she's kind of bossy. But also, we women are always joking about getting the men trained. One advantage of finding a man who's already been married is that he is usually already house trained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 07:36 AM

698 posts, read 1,051,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Could be. She does seem accustomed to getting her own way and I think she's kind of bossy. But also, we women are always joking about getting the men trained. One advantage of finding a man who's already been married is that he is usually already house trained.

i agree that celia is used to getting her own way or, at least, letting it be known that she's unhappy if she doesn't. i think in the alan/celia relationship alan tends to put celia on a pedestal, hardly able to believe his good luck at finding her again and marrying her. celia is of course thrilled at marrying alan but whereas she feels that she deserves it, alan looks upon their relationship as a gift. therefore, i feel he will do what he has to do to preserve the gift. he is certainly a more docile personality anyway than celia's but he is more willing to make compromises. from observation of couples, my thought is that if there is one partner in the relationship viewed somewhat unrealistically, the person on the pedestal has the upper hand. the other partner is forever trying to retain what he sees as his great good fortune.

of course alan is still marrying his image of the celia he had in his youth, which was probably not especially realistic then. i think it will be interesting how the reality of these two personalities in the present will relate in the present, as opposed to retaining the image of the people they thought the other was in the past.

catsy girl

Old 08-05-2014, 08:31 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
i agree that celia is used to getting her own way or, at least, letting it be known that she's unhappy if she doesn't. i think in the alan/celia relationship alan tends to put celia on a pedestal, hardly able to believe his good luck at finding her again and marrying her. celia is of course thrilled at marrying alan but whereas she feels that she deserves it, alan looks upon their relationship as a gift. therefore, i feel he will do what he has to do to preserve the gift. he is certainly a more docile personality anyway than celia's but he is more willing to make compromises. from observation of couples, my thought is that if there is one partner in the relationship viewed somewhat unrealistically, the person on the pedestal has the upper hand. the other partner is forever trying to retain what he sees as his great good fortune.

of course alan is still marrying his image of the celia he had in his youth, which was probably not especially realistic then. i think it will be interesting how the reality of these two personalities in the present will relate in the present, as opposed to retaining the image of the people they thought the other was in the past.

catsy girl
Well, but don't forget how Celia reacted with horror on learning that her daughter was engaged in a lesbian relationship, and Alan was so put off by Celia's reaction that he broke off his and Celia's relationship. That made Celia reconsider and it showed that she's capable of change in order to keep Alan happy.

I was very glad to see that, by the way -- to see that Alan isn't an easy pushover all the time.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:56 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Well, but don't forget how Celia reacted with horror on learning that her daughter was engaged in a lesbian relationship, and Alan was so put off by Celia's reaction that he broke off his and Celia's relationship. That made Celia reconsider and it showed that she's capable of change in order to keep Alan happy.

I was very glad to see that, by the way -- to see that Alan isn't an easy pushover all the time.

you're right; i'd forgotten that. but didn't celia say- under her breath- to alan, when she saw kate and caroline kissing on the dance floor at the wedding reception, something like "oh no, she's back". it was something to that effect.

i don't think celia or alan knows exactly what they are getting with each other. even though they realize on one level that it can't be the imagined dream of years ago, they have each traveled very different paths, and are carrying very different kinds of baggage. i think the intrinsic person each one is, cannot be suppressed for long, and they will see if they are able to compromise.

catsy girl

Old 08-05-2014, 09:18 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Is it just me or does anyone else here catch themselves throwing in things like "summit" and "nowt" and "init" when speaking with friends?

Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else here catch themselves throwing in things like "summit" and "nowt" and "init" when speaking with friends?
That's funny, Biscuitmom! I haven't gone to quite that extreme but I've noticed that when I read British mystery novels I think certain words in my head the way the Brits pronounce them. Like privacy, schedule, garage, mobile (as in phone).

One phrase I have appropriated into my own usage is "it's early days", meaning it's too soon to tell how something will turn out. Not sure if that's strictly British or not but I've been using it for so long now I no longer remember!

Old 08-07-2014, 04:32 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,368,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post

catsy girl
Very good personal perspective I think. Actually, I felt that Celia's newly acquired liberal acceptance of Caroline's lesbian relationship, was more predicated by her desire not to lose Alan, as opposed to any real acceptance. Yes, I also heard that comment, "Oh no, she's back". That was the second red flag to make me feel I know what's coming. Hated considering it though after such a lovely wedding.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:53 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I guess no one watched the Christmas special?

The first half was pretty good. New house, baby is doing well, theater presentation is making them nervous. But the second and last episode: nothing happened. They sit around a Ouija board, Gillian becomes even more obsessed with the thought that she killed her ex. Her new husband gets fed up with hearing about it, calls her crazy, and says he's going to Canada. Forever. The end.

THAT's a Christmas special? Is there more to come? It was macabre and boring.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:18 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I guess no one watched the Christmas special?

The first half was pretty good. New house, baby is doing well, theater presentation is making them nervous. But the second and last episode: nothing happened. They sit around a Ouija board, Gillian becomes even more obsessed with the thought that she killed her ex. Her new husband gets fed up with hearing about it, calls her crazy, and says he's going to Canada. Forever. The end.

THAT's a Christmas special? Is there more to come? It was macabre and boring.
It was a little strange for a Christmas special, but Alan and Celia drove off happily, contemplating new plays to take on, the blonde one (forget her name) seems poised to take on her new school, and Gillian seemed to figuratively "put a lid" on it when she closed and barred the barn door. After all, she basically did assist in her husband's death, so there's no getting past that. I'm sure there will be new episodes or at least updated specials in the future, unless one of the two oldest principal actors dies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement