U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 08:53 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,723,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbirder View Post
Thanks for the tip! I love Doc Martin and in spite of myself have gotten into Downton Abbey (usually don't like that type of show). I watched Last tango last night and enjoyed it, I have put a reserve on the first season from the library. I also enjoyed Endeavor, another type of drama I don't generally enjoy. I think what I like about the British shows that are missing from here is there is no story generally, just violence, sex and loud bass. I do really like Big Bang Theory and Mike and Molly however. It's gotten so that my tv is only on for 30 minutes on Monday and Thursday,maybe an hour Saturday and now I will have a couple hours on Sunday. And all on an antenna, no cable. Which reminds me, I do watch Antenna tv sometimes I like the old shows they show.

Are you aware that season 1 is on Netflix. You really should watch season 1 before watching season 2 or you will miss a lot of what's behind it. If you don't have Netflix, then check and see if it is on PBS online. I am not sure about that. And if all else fails and you have Amazon Prime, check and see if season 1 is on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 07:44 PM

306 posts, read 337,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Are you aware that season 1 is on Netflix. You really should watch season 1 before watching season 2 or you will miss a lot of what's behind it. If you don't have Netflix, then check and see if it is on PBS online. I am not sure about that. And if all else fails and you have Amazon Prime, check and see if season 1 is on that.
Got my reserved copy from the library today, will catch up before Sunday

Old 07-02-2014, 04:16 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,231,206 times
Quote:
What is it with American TV?
It's commercials, interspersed occasionally with a (non) reality show

Re Last Tango last Sunday - who else wanted to take John's cellphone away, tape up his mouth and lock him in an iron maiden?

Old 07-03-2014, 07:46 AM

688 posts, read 864,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
We watched a few of the first season of Last Tango in Halifax. I didn't particularly like any of the characters, so I thought I didn't like the show.

We were watching the first episode of the next season, and DH pointed out that the series was really probably all about how flawed people are - all of them. With that filter, I'm finding it much more interesting.

i do enjoy watching this show and saw most of last season's. i agree that the acting is excellent and the interplay of characters, skillfully written and acted, is what keeps me watching.

i also have no great affection for any of the characters, with the possible exception, sometimes, of alan. i find celia domineering and somewhat imperious. as you said, realizing that it is a portrait about flawed people and relationships is quite true. and the english seem to be masters at bringing this kind of story- messy relationships and convoluted alliances- to life in a very realistic setting.

catsy girl

Old 07-06-2014, 07:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,973,893 times
I got home too late tonight to view the episode. Does anyone know of a way to view the already-aired episodes oniine, without creating an account and providing credit card no? (It's not posted on BBC.)

Old 07-06-2014, 07:43 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,742,235 times
Ugh. can't watch this with the snot nosed, miserable, what about me, farmer daughter and her high drama. I feel like I'm at work just listening to it.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:40 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,723,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I got home too late tonight to view the episode. Does anyone know of a way to view the already-aired episodes oniine, without creating an account and providing credit card no? (It's not posted on BBC.)

I think you can watch it online on PBS. Also, it is most likely aired again this week on PBS. Yup, just checked.
Comes on again at 12 midnight than again at 2 AM. Since you probably will sleep through my response post, you can get the airing times on your computer on PBS online, if you don't watch it there.

Loved tonight's episodes. Funny how we all see things differently. Similar to books. This series is a very close second to my favorite BBC, Doc Martin. Wish there were more like this available on TV.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:48 PM

19,838 posts, read 18,851,047 times
Quote:
I think you can watch it online on PBS. Also, it is most likely aired again this week on PBS. Yup, just checked.
Comes on again at 12 midnight than again at 2 AM. Since you probably will sleep through my response post, you can get the airing times on your computer on PBS online, if you don't watch it there.

Loved tonight's episodes. Funny how we all see things differently. Similar to books. This series is a very close second to my favorite BBC, Doc Martin. Wish there were more like this available on TV.
It reminded me of real life even more tonight. Their little wedding. Happy day, not. And then, there they are--you know if you watched it (I don't want to spoil it for anyone). Best laid plans of mice and men. I feel sorry for them now because their kids are being so selfish and needy as if they are sill little kids. It's kind of a mess.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:45 AM

446 posts, read 571,454 times
Gillian is really getting on my nerves. Up until last night it was John. Ugh. Good show though.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:12 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,973,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post
Gillian is really getting on my nerves. Up until last night it was John. Ugh. Good show though.
She's supposed to be a brat, part of the character to show the challenges the honeymooners face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement