Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 05:04 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times

Advertisements

Thanks, love this show!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 12:44 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Just checked the listings - in the preceding hour before the Season 2 premiere, my PBS station is showing the Season 1 finale (the episode that had me screaming nooooooooo, before I found out there was a season 2 )

Ya might want to check if interested!

(And right after the LTIH premiere, they're showing the Season 2 premiere of "Endeavour". Woo-hoo!)
(And after "Endeavor" they're showing something I've never seen ...
Vicious
30 min 2013 TV-14
The British sitcom about a graying gay couple (Ian McKellen, Derek Jacobi) with a fractious relationship opens with the pair hosting a wake for a dear friend.)

Old 06-29-2014, 01:56 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,522 times
Good a place as any to post my rant. First i will start off by saying that enjoyed "Last Tango in Halifax" immensely. It is a good story, acted by exceptionally good actors. (something the Brits seem to value more than a pretty face)

What is it with American TV? To watch it, you would have to think that our lives are filled with murder, violence and police detectives at our door daily. THIS IS NOT OUR LIVES. When you watch foreign films, you see they often touch on real life events that we can relate to. Some of the most beautiful films ever made are simple films about life. How about the Station Agent. An extremely well told story about 3 very different people, their lives, and the friendship that ensued. No shoot em up, or blood and guts. Just a simple well told and acted story.

The Brits are eating our lunch (as well as the French) when it comes to good TV, and actors who can actually act. I don't think our Hallmark channel with it's insipid trite, nauseating apple pie stories with bad actors and very predictable endings, is a replacement for good TV. Most make me want to puke.

And if I see one more CIA, DEA, or FEA TV show with detective Badger, or agent Gonzalo come to our TV living room, I swear I'm going to pull an Elvis Presley and shoot my TV screens dead. (then maybe I can relate better)

Old 06-29-2014, 02:39 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Don't forget. (I'm sticking a note on the front of the tv)

'Last Tango in Halifax' Returns to PBS, Better Than Ever - WSJ
Already set up on the dvr.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:40 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Ooh ooh ooh...thanks for the reminder...I found it on the schedule tonight at 8 pm...can't wait to see my "old friends" again...thats what they feel like after watching the first season.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:43 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
The Brits are eating our lunch (as well as the French) when it comes to good TV, and actors who can actually act. I don't think our Hallmark channel with it's insipid trite, nauseating apple pie stories with bad actors and very predictable endings, is a replacement for good TV. Most make me want to puke.

And if I see one more CIA, DEA, or FEA TV show with detective Badger, or agent Gonzalo come to our TV living room, I swear I'm going to pull an Elvis Presley and shoot my TV screens dead. (then maybe I can relate better)
It was the great American PT Barnum who said one would never go broke by underestimating the public's intelligence & our mass media confirms this. Thank God for HBO, TCM & PBS or I would pull a Keith Moon with my TV.

Watched Vera last night (w Brenda Blethlyn) on Netflix, only 4 episodes & only there for 1 more day. Even though not a great show it was still head & shoulders above the usual crime dreck offered. In fairness I will say Fargo was pretty entertaining on FX this season.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:29 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
And they start filming Season 3 starts next week!

Old 06-29-2014, 05:32 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
I really did notice as I watched the first season (in one setting in one day, I couldnt stop watching) that the acting was absolutely unbelieveably good. And they looked like real people, like your next door neighbor. No teenagers snarking the elders, no hideous violence and sex, just a good story.

Cant wait for tonight!

Old 06-30-2014, 10:59 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
We watched a few of the first season of Last Tango in Halifax. I didn't particularly like any of the characters, so I thought I didn't like the show.

We were watching the first episode of the next season, and DH pointed out that the series was really probably all about how flawed people are - all of them. With that filter, I'm finding it much more interesting.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:35 PM

306 posts, read 416,439 times
Thanks for the tip! I love Doc Martin and in spite of myself have gotten into Downton Abbey (usually don't like that type of show). I watched Last tango last night and enjoyed it, I have put a reserve on the first season from the library. I also enjoyed Endeavor, another type of drama I don't generally enjoy. I think what I like about the British shows that are missing from here is there is no story generally, just violence, sex and loud bass. I do really like Big Bang Theory and Mike and Molly however. It's gotten so that my tv is only on for 30 minutes on Monday and Thursday,maybe an hour Saturday and now I will have a couple hours on Sunday. And all on an antenna, no cable. Which reminds me, I do watch Antenna tv sometimes I like the old shows they show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement