Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 11:38 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

Last Tango in Halifax | About | PBS

This is the second part in the series and the two lovebirds are insistent on getting married despite clashes with their adult children. There's a lot more to it than just the love story; there are subplots concerning their grown kids.

I think I would need to see the first series again on You Tube to refresh my memory. The Yorkshire dialect can be hard to understand but I think there were subtitles. If you watched the first series, then you will probably want to see this. The characters are "real" not Hollywood movie star perfect and the story is sweet, funny, sad, hopeful--and more. Excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 09:13 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,529,453 times
This is one of my favorite TV series ever.

I agree that the plot line is misleading, makes it sound something like Judi Dench's "As Time Goes By". To the contrary, Last Tango is gritty and edgy and sometimes dark, far from a sentimental geezer love story.

Being impatient to view all the Season 2 episodes,I've already pre-ordered Season 2 via Amazon Instant video so I can binge watch it.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I got caught up on the first episodes and am so glad that folks on this forum recommended it. Lovely story. Thank you for letting us know about the new season!

Old 06-22-2014, 10:30 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
What a riot. I didn't know this was a new thread and just a moment ago mentioned this series to StressedOutNYer, on the thread Do You Believe Its Never Too Late.

I wonder how much of this thing of hooking up with loves of long long ago in older age happens in real life? I wouldn't mind seeing one of my old flames from my 30s, not at all....

Old 06-22-2014, 10:31 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

This is the second part in the series and the two lovebirds are insistent on getting married despite clashes with their adult children. There's a lot more to it than just the love story; there are subplots concerning their grown kids.

I think I would need to see the first series again on You Tube to refresh my memory. The Yorkshire dialect can be hard to understand but I think there were subtitles. If you watched the first series, then you will probably want to see this. The characters are "real" not Hollywood movie star perfect and the story is sweet, funny, sad, hopeful--and more. Excellent.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they get married in Series I? I remember them being in the church and finally deciding that wasn't the right place. Didn't they get married in some strange hall somewhere?

Old 06-22-2014, 12:00 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they get married in Series I? I remember them being in the church and finally deciding that wasn't the right place. Didn't they get married in some strange hall somewhere?
I had to go back and read a synopsis because it's been a while. The wedding never happened due to a heated dispute regarding Celia and the daughter who has a lesbian lover. Alan was appalled, called off the wedding, then had a heart attack. Celia fears that she has lost him, again. I think in this next series we will get to see the wedding--maybe they will elope as they had threatened to do. You never know, they are just like real people=unpredictable.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:39 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:

This is the second part in the series ...
Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you
Most excellent!

(I'm also stuck on another PBS series "Vera", starring Brenda Blethyn as an obsessive crotchety Detective Chief Inspector. And "Borgen", a Danish series where I really have to pay attention since it's subtitled, LOL. And "Endeavor", a prequel about Inspector Morse. And Masterpiece Mysteries. Oh heck. I'm just stuck on PBS series et al )

Old 06-22-2014, 02:18 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
I had to go back and read a synopsis because it's been a while. The wedding never happened due to a heated dispute regarding Celia and the daughter who has a lesbian lover. Alan was appalled, called off the wedding, then had a heart attack. Celia fears that she has lost him, again. I think in this next series we will get to see the wedding--maybe they will elope as they had threatened to do. You never know, they are just like real people=unpredictable.
IIRC it was the mother "Celia" who was appalled to find out her daughter was a lesbian. Her reaction turned Alan off the idea of them marrying if not the woman in general. Then he has the heart attack.

Celia first finds out about her daughter from the SIL who has problems with his own marriage (and confining his tackle to that bed), and the acting is wonderful as you can see Celia almost become visibly ill at the thought.

All this has to be taken into context of who Celia is and how she was brought up.

LTIH is a wonderful series on all fronts. Have been watching Derek Jacobi on television since a child and caught him in "I Claudius", have been hooked ever since. The man is a treasure pure and simple.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:28 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,529,453 times
Quote:
I think in this next series we will get to see the wedding--maybe they will elope as they had threatened to do. You never know, they are just like real people=unpredictable.
You're right, that's just one of the many things I love about the series - just like real life you never know what's going to happen next.
I thought the scene where Celia had the vision of Alan, just as he had his heart attack, was a nicely unexpected touch. Especially when he confirmed to her later that he too remembered his "visit" to her.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:33 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,074 times
I hadn't heard of this, so thanks, in_newengland, for starting this thread! (And my library has Season 1--yay!)

By the way, before reading this thread, I had just posted on another thread about how much I loved As Time Goes By, so, seeing that it's been mentioned here, I want add my take on it here for anyone who may not know it. While definitely gentle, not "gritty," I found it to be much more than a formula feel-good story. I think it really managed well in portraying the hesitations, the awkwardnesses, the obstacles that could have gotten in the way of a happy ending, and the work/choices/risk-taking needed to get to that happy ending.

Last edited by City__Datarer; 06-22-2014 at 02:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement