U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 12:21 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,883,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
We've all heard the phrase "it's never too late" (especially at our age, I think!) but I've always had some reservations about the truth of it -- logic would, after all, dictate that in some circumstances it really IS too late, LOL -- but I just may be changing my thinking a bit.

Cliff's Notes version: When I was in my very early 20s I was in a serious relationship for about 3 years. He ended up relocating to a different part of the US and as many longdistance romances go, it gradually dwinded to nothing. I eventually heard via the grapevine that he married someone in his new location. Not an unusual story, except for the fact that pretty much every boyfriend etc that I had since that point was either consciously or subconsciously compared with Mr. First Love, if truth be told. ;-)

Fast forward to this past Thursday when I ordered something online and had to speak to their customer service department about shipping options. The rep was a very nice gal, very helpful. During our conversation she asked if I am located on Long Island and I said yes (thinking perhaps she's an ex-pat). Then she asked me if by chance I went to (X) high school, to which I also said yes (even more puzzled). Finally she asked if I ever knew someone named (Mr First Love). At that point I nearly fell on the floor; turns out this gal is his daughter! And she recognized my name why? Because her dad (during the years after he and her mom split up) had not only talked about me but kept all my old letters from back in the day. :-O

His daughter asked if it would be okay for her to pass along my email address to him. I said "Sure" (couldn't trust myself to say much more than that, LOL) and got an email from him last night. Long story short, he moved back to LI about 3 years ago and is living about 15 miles from where I live now! He too had heard from others that I had married (but didn't know the name). We are going to meet for dinner on Tuesday evening. Talk about having 18-year-old type butterflies again!! :-D

So... I just may be revising my thinking about that old timeworn "it's never too late" phrase. ;-)

Anyone else have a "never too late" story?

Wow! That's pretty neat. Have fun. PS, you could get a little BLACK dress and a blue neck scarf if you can't find a blue dress. I would splurge on shoes, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 01:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,017,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
As you can imagine, that very question has been driving me nuts all day! I have been to five stores already, duh.

I haven't worn dresses for many years (in favor of jeans/teeshirt) but back in the day I wore them all the time because, well, not to toot my own horn or anything LOL but I used to have really really nice legs. And yes some of those skirts were pretty short for that very reason. (hey if you got it, flaunt it, right?) Of course 64-yr-old legs just don't look the same as 20-yr-old ones -- don't we wish? -- but I'm still thinking dress, something just below the knee? And somewhat fitted, because ironically despite occasional ups (pregnancy) and downs (during chemo) my weight this morning is exactly what it was when I was dating him (118).

He always liked me in blue (I have blue eyes) so that's what I'm looking for. Found a few in which the color was right but the style was wrong. And even more vice versa (if I had a dollar for every time I said "if ONLY they made this in blue..!!!" so far today, I'd have enough to buy the dress, LOL). So tomorrow I'm heading to the biggest mall here (Roosevelt Field; Miss Hepburn will know where that is, LOL) to see what I can find.

Thank goodness that the one pair of pumps that I own are in a neutral color (beige) and will go with anything. Actually I bought them last year to wear at my son's wedding. Which was the only time I've worn a dress since... hmmm... New Years Eve 1999/2000. Yikes!
Don't wear too much jewelry or makeup (JMO).

And as someone else said, go for new shoes too. I like the blue idea!

Old 06-22-2014, 01:34 PM

It just occurred to me that you could start a blog on the new old relationship. You'd get folks from all over the globe following your progress.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:48 PM

2,716 posts, read 2,224,660 times
For many things it is too late. Oh well.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:11 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,257,642 times
Wonderful story, StressedOutNYer.

Can't wait to hear the next episode of this cliffhanger serial, LOL

It's never too late to try and live happily ever after.
As long as we're still alive, it's never too late to do anything.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:16 PM

494 posts, read 882,523 times
What a wonderful story so far, and I know what ending we're all rooting for!

For anyone who hasn't already seen it, I highly recommend the British TV series As Time Goes By (very similar story, told beautifully with nuance and humor and with great characters/acting).

Please do keep us posted!

Old 06-22-2014, 02:39 PM

Now the only problem is, some of us, dying of curiosity, may want to be there on this date (chaperone ). Can we come along if we sit at the far side of the restaurant?

Old 06-22-2014, 03:46 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,217,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It just occurred to me that you could start a blog on the new old relationship. You'd get folks from all over the globe following your progress.
That's very cute & a good idea. Congrats to the OP! I'll hold good thoughts for you for your 1st re-date!

Have lots of fun! Update us!

Old 06-22-2014, 05:47 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,327,780 times
LMAO Stressed, Mom is on future husband number four and she's 73

Wear pants if you're not a dress or skirt gal.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:10 PM

25,963 posts, read 13,487,179 times
I hope it turns out well.

It has already (seemingly) boosted your spirits - no small gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or