U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:01 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,527,059 times

Advertisements

I knew a woman who was reunited with her high school boyfriend at their 40th high school reunion. She was widowed and he was divorced. They lived in different states but had a long distance relationship for less than a year and visited each other often. Then he retired and moved to New Mexico and they got married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 09:14 PM

5,176 posts, read 8,698,297 times
Smile One other thing....LOL

You'll have to change your screen name.....Happy NYer!!!

I think it will go very well for you. See, there's a reason you're still stuck in LI.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:50 PM

2,903 posts, read 4,584,577 times
The OP's story reminds me of the book written by Donna Hanover (ex-wife of Rudy Giuliani):

Quote:
Rekindled romances are becoming more visible. In her new book, "My Boyfriend's Back: True Stories of Rediscovering Love with a Long-Lost Sweetheart" (Hudson Street Press), Donna Hanover, the actress and New York's former first lady, cites 50 stories of regular people and celebrities who, like herself, reconnected with and married an early love.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/06/fa...fiel.html?_r=0

Old 06-22-2014, 09:59 PM

756 posts, read 884,344 times
This is such a cool happenstance.

I would say, manage your expectations at this point . Anything could happen, and I would spend a little time considering the spectrum of possible results of this reunion, from an awkward evening with someone who isn't at all who you remember, through reconnecting with someone who will be fun to have in your life as a casual friendship, and on of course to what your dear readers (myself included!) are hoping for...romance in the air!

You did, after all, let one another go for some reason.

And you have, it sounds like, spent a lot of time idealizing this person until it's possible that he can't live up to your mental image of him.

Have fun, be you, don't have any huge expectations, and MOST importantly keep all us C-D busybodies informed, lol!

ETA When I am attending a high-stakes social engagement, I like to be as comfortable as possible while still appropriate. If I can get away with great fitting jeans and a cute top and a few of my favorite pieces of jewelry or a scarf that makes me feel pretty, I do it. Otherwise I wear a more formal outfit that I've worn before and am familiar with.... I like to relax enough to focus on the moment, not be tugging at a new dress or worried about how far I can walk in my new heels. That's "second date" stuff, for me (figuratively speaking, I'm married for...long time). If you're going to buy something new, buy something you will be totally yourself and totally comfortable in.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:36 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,138,058 times
Perhaps it will turn out like this British TV show which I really enjoyed:

As Time Goes By (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-23-2014, 10:20 AM

786 posts, read 894,992 times
With the advent of Social media this is becoming an all to frequent experience. 11 years ago (3 months before I left the USA) my college sweetheart ( who I had tried to look up on many a business trip to her city) contacted me
and tried to entice me to visit with her. Now with FB ( in the past 6 mos) I have been contacted by the first girl I ever kissed, A girl I was engaged to at 19 and several others I may/may not have slept with. I think they want a "feel good moment" or just closure. I reminisce and occasionally apologize for my "wilding" over chat and they go away happy after a few day's. I learned a long time ago not to live in the past because the future is where I'm headed.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:29 AM

983 posts, read 2,178,205 times
Oh wow, you made my heart leap.. does this stuff happen in real life?? oh gosh, I guess it's never too late for anything in life.. hope your dinner goes well and you enjoy every minute of it. Thank you for sharing such personal moments of your life.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:41 AM

730 posts, read 1,027,828 times
Popping in "between" dress-hunting. ;-)

Would you believe the ONLY dress I own is the gown that I bought for son's wedding? LOL

One thing I know better than to do is look for new shoes: it took me almost a YEAR to find the ones I ultimately got for the wedding!! I have a wide (WW or E width) foot BUT a slightly narrow heel (which is bad enough to begin with) but for the past 5 years or so I've had to wear orthotics. The orthotics cause a real problem with anything else but sneakers or "sensible" shoes because they lift the foot up fairly high (and I hate 'mary jane' styles with a passion) and thus the foot literally comes out of the shoe with each step. This is one reason why I got rid of all my dresses; it was easier to just wear jeans or other long pants plus a pair of "sensibles" (what a friend of mine back in the day used to call "granny shoes"!). I figure the wedding shoes will be my go-to for anything else for the rest of my life. ;-) Thank goodness they're leather and should last a good long time!

I've never looked good in black: Very pale skin, blue eyes and hair that used to be auburn but now is what I describe as "bunny-rabbit color" -- a mixture of a couple of shades of light and medium brown + white + grey. My best colors are pastels: light and medium blues, dusty rose (but not mauve, lol), pale pink (not bright or hot pink), grey or silver or anything with those hues in it, light sage green or pale mint green (any other green makes me look two steps from death's door, truly), very very few shades of light brown, and of course white.

I definitely hear you all about managing expectations. I was talking to a friend last night and she told me to keep telling myself that he has probably turned into (her words, not mine!! LOL) a 350-lb cigar-chainsmoking Jehovah's Witness who lives in a shack with 15 dogs, a dozen cats and a rat named Willard, and whose idea of an entertaining evening is watching WWF wrestling re-runs. And thus I could not possibly be disappointed in whatever the reality is! (She was kidding... I think) ;-)

Old 06-23-2014, 10:52 AM

2,575 posts, read 4,692,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
I haven't worn dresses for many years (in favor of jeans/teeshirt)
So, you're going to present yourself in a way that's totally opposite of who you really are and how you always dress? Do you intend to continue dressing that way after it gets his attention? If not, just wear nice pants and a fancier top than usual.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:59 AM

19,814 posts, read 19,910,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
I definitely hear you all about managing expectations. I was talking to a friend last night and she told me to keep telling myself that he has probably turned into (her words, not mine!! LOL) a 350-lb cigar-chainsmoking Jehovah's Witness who lives in a shack with 15 dogs, a dozen cats and a rat named Willard, and whose idea of an entertaining evening is watching WWF wrestling re-runs. And thus I could not possibly be disappointed in whatever the reality is! (She was kidding... I think) ;-)

With that in mind, make sure it's a dress you'll have other occasions to wear for.
Or stick with pants or a skirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or