U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 06:21 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,627,024 times

Advertisements

I wish I did...but sadly I don't...mine is way too late...glad to hear this stuff still happens tho...you're very lucky! IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 06:43 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,569,320 times
Thanks for the story. Lots of fun to read. Best of luck to you both as you reconnect. Feel free to keep us posted.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:53 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,037,779 times
I couldn't wait to get back to this site to read about this! What a wonderful outcome ... sounds like there is going to be much more to come...how lovely...

Serendipity...and that silk cord, yes...I believe that too!

Old 06-25-2014, 08:43 PM

3,372 posts, read 2,709,773 times
Ohhh. What a wonderful story! So glad you had a nice time! Please keep us updated!

Old 06-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 767,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
She's may have to change her name to "HappyInLongIsland"
I was thinking along the lines of NotSoStressedinNy.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:55 AM

730 posts, read 1,028,973 times
Thanks for all the good wishes and great thoughts, everyone!

Don't worry, I plan to still be here on my usual schedule of once a day (most days)! I may have mentioned that I don't have internet at home at this point in time (long story) and so I go to the public library to get online there. They open at 10am so that's when I usually try to go, but if I have other things to do first it may be more like midday (like today, LOL). Sometimes I pop in before they close for the day as well, but usually it's once a day only.

I have to say I was a bit surprised to hear that he ended up in an "outdoorsy" sort of career because that wasn't what he was interested in originally. He was what what would probably be called a "nerd" today, LOL. Very quiet, somewhat shy, loved books and very detail oriented. Same for me. We both were fascinated by the space program (remember this was the late 1960s, LOL) but neither of us had any hope of being an astronaut because back then you needed essentially perfect vision and we are both woefully nearsighted. He went to college for engineering because his dream was to eventually be involved in the design of whatever spacecraft would eventually land a human on Mars. (yep, we're still waiting for that to happen, NASA) He's still very interested in the subject of space exploration and has always had some kind of telescope at home which he has taken on trips upstate to do better stargazing than we can manage down here on light-polluted LI.

So I had more or less assumed that he'd ended up a desk-job career of some sort, but obviously you never know. For that matter, it wasn't until I was 30 years old that I paid any attention to plants or flowers - so maybe it's not all that surprising after all. :-)

Which reminds me... I had better get off my butt and do some serious weeding this afternoon! It would never do for him to see my garden looking "untended", LOL.

By the way, I had never heard the "silk cord" theory before... I like it a lot!

Old 06-26-2014, 04:54 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,211,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Which reminds me... I had better get off my butt and do some serious weeding this afternoon! It would never do for him to see my garden looking "untended", LOL.
Love this inspiring story, SO & I wish you the best of luck.

Perhaps an untended garden will let him know he's needed in your life... so maybe weed half & leave the rest for his advice & care.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:30 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,997,544 times
Would still like to see the pic of you in the blue dress.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:26 PM

2,742 posts, read 729,651 times
This is such a nice thread. Good for both of you for being open to meeting each other again and reestablishing your relationship. You sound so well suited for each other. Kind of amazing that you both have retained your basic personality and interests.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:53 AM

730 posts, read 1,028,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Would still like to see the pic of you in the blue dress.
I have to confess, I have a "thing" about never ever posting any images of myself or personal surroundings online (nope, I don't use Facebook or any other kind of social media, nor do I have or would ever start a blog). It might be a result of having been stalked in the past, which was terrifying and I still have occasional nightmares about it even decades later; so now yes I'm paranoid about having any personal-related images online. My son knows to never ever post an image online that has me in it, LOL. Besides, I've always hated having my picture taken anyway.

Yesterday at the NYBG was just lovely, although my legs are absolutely KILLING me today from all that walking! Sensible shoes and all, LOL. The Rose Garden was still spectacular even though its "peak" is supposedly early June, and the perennial gardens really made me feel inadequate when I got home and looked at mine; but then again, I don't have "staff" to make it all look perfect either. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or