U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 04:30 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Some things:

Do not underestimate the stairs warnings a few people in this forum have mentioned both in the home and outside. You may be spry now but that can change very quickly. Don't pooh-pooh the stairs factor if you are looking for a new place to live. It's not just the legs. If you had to "hold on" to get up the stairs, could you still carry stuff up those stairs? Also, take a look at the room sizes and the doorways. If you had to use a wheelchair or a walker, even for a short length of time, could you maneuver/turn around in those rooms?

Don't wait to do the traveling you may want to do if you can afford it now. I don't fly anymore anyway but no more 10 hour drives for me, either. I can still travel but I have to break those drives down to smaller distances per day. Hey, we don't have to be back for work. You can take your time to get where you're going and get home if you can afford the extra overnights.

Know your neighbors, especially if you live alone. I have a wonderful downstairs neighbor who has taken care of a few important things for me since I've been housebound for the last few weeks including things associated with my move.

Keep your cell phone on your person at all times. Make sure it is up to date with business contacts, not just friends and relative contacts.
Laura, imo you're right on. I see health and mobility changes happening with folks who a few years or even months ago could not have imagined having problems. Some are from accidents that happen in a nanosecond.

I'm pretty well balanced (thanks to yoga) but I fell in a split second at the end of my driveway nearly a month ago and am still not over it. I could have broken the hip. If I lived alone I'd have been in trouble. Good that I can live on the first floor in this house, and there's only two steps up to the front door. But...in a few years the property will be simply too large.

As I peruse online listings for a one-floor, the first things I notice in the online photos are access to the front door, amount of lawn front/back/sides, any slopes, how many shrubs needing manicure, and room-to-room access. I've passed by some really cute homes that couldn't satisfy these factors.

Somewhere on this forum I started a "five years ago I never could have imagined." That phrase is apropo for me as I head toward my 66th birthday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 03:33 AM

13,325 posts, read 25,586,246 times
When I had my relatively small dream house built in 2001, I put the main bedroom and bath on the first floor. This came in handy when I had a serious infected dog bite on my ankle in 2010 and couldn't walk up or down a single step for over a week. Nothing important is on the second floor, except the vintage pinball machine I bought for my 61st birthday! I do note that there are short series of steps from the driveway to the front door (like a stepped boardwalk) and that was unavoidable. But if I am so compromised that I cannot go up those steps, likely I won't be driving, either, and/or will sell the house and move to Brooksby Village, the Erickson community I mentioned a few pages back.
The Erickson communities have a higher entry fee than most, but offer more services and amenities than most. It presumes that you have a house to sell for the entry fee (apparently refundable to you or your estate upon departing the premises) and the lowest monthly fee at present is about $1900. All I want out of it is restaurant meals and an indoor pool, but they offer a lot more. It really is my backup plan for major disability or frailty.

I have no relatives. My elders are gone, I am estranged (happily) from my sister, who is a financial wreck, and I never had kids (by choice).

Old 06-30-2014, 07:06 AM

491 posts, read 598,743 times
I would have never guessed that I wouldn't be able to use stairs either, especially at the relatively young age of 60. I was having increasing difficulty with them and moved to a zero clearance(handicap house) a year ago. I can still go up steps, but they really aggravate my back/ SI joints, causing pain for several days. It is much better without climbing steps (even a few) many times a day..

Old 06-30-2014, 07:17 AM

29,809 posts, read 34,894,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Laura, imo you're right on. I see health and mobility changes happening with folks who a few years or even months ago could not have imagined having problems. Some are from accidents that happen in a nanosecond.

I'm pretty well balanced (thanks to yoga) but I fell in a split second at the end of my driveway nearly a month ago and am still not over it. I could have broken the hip. If I lived alone I'd have been in trouble. Good that I can live on the first floor in this house, and there's only two steps up to the front door. But...in a few years the property will be simply too large.

As I peruse online listings for a one-floor, the first things I notice in the online photos are access to the front door, amount of lawn front/back/sides, any slopes, how many shrubs needing manicure, and room-to-room access. I've passed by some really cute homes that couldn't satisfy these factors.

Somewhere on this forum I started a "five years ago I never could have imagined." That phrase is apropo for me as I head toward my 66th birthday.
This is exactly why we have at least one more move in the the hat to be pulled out at some future point.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:27 AM

338 posts, read 625,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
When I had my relatively small dream house built in 2001, I put the main bedroom and bath on the first floor. This came in handy when I had a serious infected dog bite on my ankle in 2010 and couldn't walk up or down a single step for over a week. Nothing important is on the second floor, except the vintage pinball machine I bought for my 61st birthday! I do note that there are short series of steps from the driveway to the front door (like a stepped boardwalk) and that was unavoidable. But if I am so compromised that I cannot go up those steps, likely I won't be driving, either, and/or will sell the house and move to Brooksby Village, the Erickson community I mentioned a few pages back.
The Erickson communities have a higher entry fee than most, but offer more services and amenities than most. It presumes that you have a house to sell for the entry fee (apparently refundable to you or your estate upon departing the premises) and the lowest monthly fee at present is about $1900. All I want out of it is restaurant meals and an indoor pool, but they offer a lot more. It really is my backup plan for major disability or frailty.

I have no relatives. My elders are gone, I am estranged (happily) from my sister, who is a financial wreck, and I never had kids (by choice).
My MIL is in the Erickson community in NJ - been there for almost a decade. For her it was a good move. When she moved there, she was still quite active and really took advantage of many of the activities they offered - took exercise classes in the pool, used the shuttle buses to local stores. They had a shuttle bus that ran into NYC, where she would meet my BIL (who lives in NYC). They would visit museums, have lunch and she'd go back on the shuttle. We found that many of the smaller facilities didn't offer enough activities for her.

The one time she had a medical incident (she passed out near the dining hall), I was impressed with how quickly they contacted us and followed through while she was in the hospital. We like that all her doctors are right in the building.

I know that they were in financial difficulties some years back, so it might be prudent to check into that now. The one complaint I heard around the time she moved in was that it took some time to resell the apartments if someone moved out or passed away. Most of that was due to the fact that they had added on to the facility right before the housing crash, so I think that situation is better now.

Overall, it's been a good move for her and she continues to be happy there.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:37 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,262,186 times
Fay111 Thank you for that information. I am in the same situation as brightdoglover. I have dogs but no relatives and I figure I will be taking care of myself long after I am unable to. I like BDL's suggestion of an Erickson community. I've been researching it on line, and I feel much happier about this decision after reading your post.

Thank you, too BDL for giving me your solution which will now become my plan too.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fay111 View Post
My MIL is in the Erickson community in NJ - been there for almost a decade. For her it was a good move. When she moved there, she was still quite active and really took advantage of many of the activities they offered - took exercise classes in the pool, used the shuttle buses to local stores. They had a shuttle bus that ran into NYC, where she would meet my BIL (who lives in NYC). They would visit museums, have lunch and she'd go back on the shuttle. We found that many of the smaller facilities didn't offer enough activities for her.

The one time she had a medical incident (she passed out near the dining hall), I was impressed with how quickly they contacted us and followed through while she was in the hospital. We like that all her doctors are right in the building.

I know that they were in financial difficulties some years back, so it might be prudent to check into that now. The one complaint I heard around the time she moved in was that it took some time to resell the apartments if someone moved out or passed away. Most of that was due to the fact that they had added on to the facility right before the housing crash, so I think that situation is better now.

Overall, it's been a good move for her and she continues to be happy there.
Erickson is in my thought process and I have followed their financial challenges along with the industry in general and there are concerns. Central to my concerns is the following:

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/...ale-bankruptcy

Quote:
Unable to find new investors, Erickson Retirement Communities announced late Monday afternoon that it is selling the company and, as a condition of the sale, will seek bankruptcy protection in order to restructure its debts. The company, which operates 19 complexes around the country with 23,000 residents, is one of the nation's largest developers of continuing care retirement communities (CCRCs). It said it is being acquired by Redwood Capital Investments, a privately held investment company controlled by Jim Davis, chairman and majority owner of Allegis Group. The companies are based near Baltimore.
Not sure I would want my money and life in the hands of a privately held investment group that has the primary concern of ROI.
http://www.redcapinv.com/about.htm

Quote:
Redwood Capital Investments, LLC manages the capital of a small group of private investors in Baltimore, Maryland. Our investors founded and created the largest privately-held staffing company in the United States and therefore understand what it takes to build successful companies — great management teams who have a passion for business

Last edited by TuborgP; 06-30-2014 at 10:39 AM..

Old 06-30-2014, 12:16 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,352,650 times
Some people can be there own worst enemy...

A couple in their 80's bought the foreclosure on my street 2 years ago... it is 3 levels including the garage and the drive is steep to take to trash up to the street.

They told me it has been a wonderful neighborhood, but the stairs and the 4 bedroom house is getting to be a bit much at their age... both of which I raised when they were looking at the home.

Anyway, they sold and made 50% on their 22 month investment and bought a home that is even larger with more steps????

Old 06-30-2014, 01:59 PM

338 posts, read 625,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Erickson is in my thought process and I have followed their financial challenges along with the industry in general and there are concerns. Central to my concerns is the following:

Erickson Communities Agrees to Sale, Bankruptcy - US News

Not sure I would want my money and life in the hands of a privately held investment group that has the primary concern of ROI.
Redwood Capital Investments :: About
I remember reading about this and being concerned (my MIL was already living there). It certainly is something to consider and look into before making a move.

That being said, MIL was happy there and we were not about to move her. She is 95 now, and while still healthy, has slowed down considerably. She will probably stay there until she passes, unless an illness forces a move to a nursing home.

I will say that the community in NJ is immaculate - very clean and well kept. My DH and I visit her frequently and have seen no signs of deterioration.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:05 PM

Erickson the first time around was well done from a patient perspective. They expanded to soon and opened to many communities with empty beds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or