U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 04:11 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,264,090 times

Advertisements

That's a shame. Now I am looking at the Mayflower in Winter Park, FL again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 06:34 PM

29,865 posts, read 34,929,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
That's a shame. Now I am looking at the Mayflower in Winter Park, FL again.
Erickson had what appeared to be a good business model. They located communities in areas that had experienced fairly strong housing appreciation in the boom years. Seniors in those areas could sell their homes with hundreds of thousands in home equity. That money could finance their buy in plus in the communities. The housing bust along with slow sales hurt them. The new owners may had better timing along with the fact that Erickson had absorbed much of the developmental cost. We are still having them and similar as alternatives.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:05 AM

13,351 posts, read 25,617,103 times
I visited the new Erickson outside Denver (Windcrest) during the housing downturn and they were sort of flapping in the breeze, halting expansion while working to fill the already-built part. According to them, they are now continuing their expansion and are almost full.
If I moved there, I'd consider it my final home and it wouldn't matter to me how long it took to get the deposit back to my estate, since it all goes to charities and animal stuff anyway (after the lawyer takes her cut as executor).

Old 07-01-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I visited the new Erickson outside Denver (Windcrest) during the housing downturn and they were sort of flapping in the breeze, halting expansion while working to fill the already-built part. According to them, they are now continuing their expansion and are almost full.
If I moved there, I'd consider it my final home and it wouldn't matter to me how long it took to get the deposit back to my estate, since it all goes to charities and animal stuff anyway (after the lawyer takes her cut as executor).
As long as there books keep them in business I am with you and see that as a possible final with another house possible before and after this one. I am weighing that and a second vacation home with Erickson being home base. There are folks who use Erickson or similar as a home base while traveling etc.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:06 AM

Really? The sales gal at WindCrest told me that and I figured she was trying to find a "reason" for me as to why I only saw really really old people- the younger ones were off at their second homes!

Old 07-01-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Really? The sales gal at WindCrest told me that and I figured she was trying to find a "reason" for me as to why I only saw really really old people- the younger ones were off at their second homes!
Can be very true from my experiences. Do the math at 66 a person in a high COLA or housing market sells their home and uses the multiple hundreds thousands to buy in at Erickson and a second hone elsewhere. Look how many retiree's have two homes just as easily one could be Erickson especially when the Erickson is near great health care and your historical medical services. No lawn or out door upkeep, good security, meals ready and available. Lots of home equity, pensions, annuities, nest eggs? Erickson wants you. Doesn't Windcrest Denver fit that profile and have Denver residents who do?

Old 07-01-2014, 07:18 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,588,562 times
Quote:
When I had my relatively small dream house built in 2001, I put the main bedroom and bath on the first floor. This came in handy when I had a serious infected dog bite on my ankle in 2010 and couldn't walk up or down a single step for over a week. Nothing important is on the second floor, except the vintage pinball machine I bought for my 61st birthday! I do note that there are short series of steps from the driveway to the front door (like a stepped boardwalk) and that was unavoidable. But if I am so compromised that I cannot go up those steps, likely I won't be driving, either, and/or will sell the house and move to Brooksby Village, the Erickson community I mentioned a few pages back.
The Erickson communities have a higher entry fee than most, but offer more services and amenities than most. It presumes that you have a house to sell for the entry fee (apparently refundable to you or your estate upon departing the premises) and the lowest monthly fee at present is about $1900. All I want out of it is restaurant meals and an indoor pool, but they offer a lot more. It really is my backup plan for major disability or frailty.

I have no relatives. My elders are gone, I am estranged (happily) from my sister, who is a financial wreck, and I never had kids (by choice).
Brooksby has always been a backup plan. They'll progress you into their nursing home after assisted living.
Maybe I'll meet you there!

Old 07-01-2014, 09:12 PM

I keep meaning to make a day clear to go up there and look around, have lunch on them, as they keep mailing me. I also hear from Linden Ponds (on Boston's South Shore) but that's like a different country to me, as I'm oriented towards north and west of the city.
Like many places, Brooksby starts as independent living, then assisted, then nursing home if you need it (or rehab for a shorter stay). The independent living looks pretty nice as a way of life when older.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:25 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,588,562 times
I know quite a few people who live at Brooksby.
They love it.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I keep meaning to make a day clear to go up there and look around, have lunch on them, as they keep mailing me. I also hear from Linden Ponds (on Boston's South Shore) but that's like a different country to me, as I'm oriented towards north and west of the city.
Like many places, Brooksby starts as independent living, then assisted, then nursing home if you need it (or rehab for a shorter stay). The independent living looks pretty nice as a way of life when older.
In many cases they are marketing a lifestyle of security and freedom to travel, explore and enjoy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or