U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:35 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,751,989 times

Advertisements

I agree with trying to eliminate steps/stairs in a retirement home.

There was a thread awhile back where a few posters were touting stairs as a great way to be forced to get daily exercise.

Bad idea!

Having forced daily exercise built into every day living of your house is a disaster waiting to happen.

I want my house convenient for now and the future.

My weight set in the carport and my daily walk will be used for exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 07:05 PM

10,827 posts, read 8,103,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I agree with trying to eliminate steps/stairs in a retirement home.

There was a thread awhile back where a few posters were touting stairs as a great way to be forced to get daily exercise.

Bad idea!

Having forced daily exercise built into every day living of your house is a disaster waiting to happen.

I want my house convenient for now and the future.

My weight set in the carport and my daily walk will be used for exercise.
Staying fit in our senior years requires planned exercise, but lifestyle activity also contributes. I have a 3-level house, and I'm up and down the steps dozens of times a day*. I also walk/run 3-4 miles a day, lift weights, and practice yoga.
(*DH & I do have a plan for how to cope if one of us has a foot or leg injury.)

In a New York Times article, Stairs as Fitness Tool?, Dr. Harvey Simon, associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School, says ".. walking upstairs is one of the best kept secrets in preventive medicine".

Old 07-02-2014, 09:17 PM

4,968 posts, read 7,906,628 times
It seems to me sometimes that we spend our entire lives planning for the last 10 - 20, if we even get there.

Kinda sad, don't you think?

Lost my cousin last year to cancer, she was 55. She and her husband had planned their retirement years so carefully, so completely. Multi-millionare JP Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon, 58 years old, just diagnosed with throat cancer. Surely he has the best retirement plans in place that money can buy.

"And not another minute will your money buy..."

Thinking today that we really and truly need to start living for today. I'm going to start taking off on the weekends to those destinations, doing those things on my bucket list. Now, not later. A nice retirement, if I reach it, will just be an added gift, a bonus, icing on the cake.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:45 PM

10,827 posts, read 8,103,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Thinking today that we really and truly need to start living for today.
DH & I stumbled separately into this awareness and were discussing it just this past week-end, while on an out-of-town trip.

Long story short, we were roaming around Austin TX, a long-time favorite destination, and surprised at how "fresh" (for lack of a better word) it felt, how we were noticing things that had previously gone right past us.
Gradually it dawned on us that for the first time in our lives, we were seeing it without thinking "have to be back at work Monday", "are the kids getting tired?", "should we consider that job relocation and move here?", "can I expense this meal?", "enough dawdling, got to get back to the meeting".
We were just living in the moment. It was nice.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:07 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,718,810 times
Kind of makes me think of quip by John Lennon:
'Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans'...;-).....it's nice to smell the coffee when you're not 'busy!'

Old 07-03-2014, 08:41 AM

29,910 posts, read 34,976,474 times
Previous planning is often the floor for living on the day now and how much living you can facilitate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or