U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 12:49 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,948,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I think those that have been successful have already traveled to the particular country and are adaptable. I found Thailand to be a comfortable fit and the Thai people very friendly. Healthcare was excellent. We are going again in November.
Much success on your exploration! Can you give us a trip report when you get back? I get a lot from hearing about our cohort's experiences in distant places - how people such as the posters on this C-D board negotiate the culture, the pace, and the people there.

I used to consider myself resilient and adaptable, and then found myself working long hours over quite a period of years. Anymore, my life is so structured around keeping hold of discretionary time, that I'm afraid I've become a little set in my ways. It's so freeing to hear about others in my age group who are exploring, and considering different countries to settle in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 01:35 AM

17,378 posts, read 21,223,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
We are friends with a couple who are from the Philippines. They are close to retirement and the husband wants to go back for the low cost of living. His wife is very much against it because of her feeling that they could become targets for kidnapping for ransom.
I envy people who are seemingly oblivious to the climatic factors with their relocation decisions. Or, do they not know what they're in for, until it's too late?

Best to spend 3-6 months over there before making any kind of decision.

One of my co-workers from the Philippines has no desire to retire there, particularly to a smaller city, as the word would get out too quickly, there's a gringo with money amongst us, with hands held out!

Old 06-27-2014, 03:25 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,844,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I envy people who are seemingly oblivious to the climatic factors with their relocation decisions. Or, do they not know what they're in for, until it's too late?

Best to spend 3-6 months over there before making any kind of decision.

One of my co-workers from the Philippines has no desire to retire there, particularly to a smaller city, as the word would get out too quickly, there's a gringo with money amongst us, with hands held out!

The Philippines would not be quite so bad on the hands held out issue. You are completely right about some people not taking all factors into consideration and weather is included.

I know I have posted a number of items that everyone should consider before making a move in retirement. A lot of people have that as a wish as they near retirement. Many of those do not when they realize they are not really ready for that.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,545 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I think those that have been successful have already traveled to the particular country and are adaptable. I found Thailand to be a comfortable fit and the Thai people very friendly. Healthcare was excellent. We are going again in November.
The Thai friendliness and affordable healthcare was helpful this week when a truck pulled out and had to crash scooter into a concrete wall.... The scooter was repaired for under $100, and the body will eventually heal (resilient). Yesterday was very stressful coming from different areas of Thailand and trying to meet at airport to get out of country to get visa stamped. Many folks would be totally freaked by the barriers encountered in this simple task. (Which was not all that simple). Nor is the daily hassles of foreign living such as going to the Fruit stand, then finding a meat stand, and then a veggie stall, then you need to fix something, and need to find a lightbulb store, then an electrical store (different) then a hammer store (different)... Just gotta live like the culture and 'be happy'. (not always ez),

But it helps to not be in a hurry!~

But the hospital is actually fun to see how FAST they are.

New patient registration, Wait to get plastic card made, wait to see a Nurse, Wait to see a Dr, Wait to pay .. total time in and out... 15 minutes (with ALL that waiting!)

Old 06-27-2014, 12:40 PM

2,901 posts, read 1,583,756 times
I was a little glib with my "bugs & humidity" reply, but those are actually factors, it is hot all the time in equatorial countries, even in the "cool" season. My personal thermostat doesn't handle this well. I was also seeing if the OP was really serious, he hasn't checked back here yet so who knows?

I've visited SE Asia almost annually since 1995, primarily Thailand, but also the PI among others, there's a lot to like but there's a lot to consider as well. My impression is that most retirees return to their home countries when they become really old or disillusioned. Again there can be a lot of great experiences before either happens, but a lot of expats are running from something assuming that "paradise" is just over the hill.

The PI has great people, beaches, low costs & awful infrastructure pollution & poverty. Thailand is a bit cheaper, with much better food & infrastructure, superficially friendly people that are much more ethnocentric, a hassle to keep a resident's visa & a very wobbly government that may collapse when the king passes ( I think he's in his 90's).

Anywhere you will have to adapt to the culture, it ain't the US or Western Europe as StealthRabbit mentioned. Many adapt & do well, many get bored & turn to drink &/or return home if possible. Always have a plan B in your back pocket.

As for the bugs.... well don't say I didn't warn you when you discover a snake in your sofa cushions or a 6' lizard under the porch.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:03 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,182,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASVEGASNATIVE071 View Post
Any tips from anytone already there?
The old night time radio talk host Art Bell is retired there with a beautiful new Filo wife....

Old 04-28-2016, 10:47 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
The old night time radio talk host Art Bell is retired there with a beautiful new Filo wife....
Interesting! I didn't know that. But, it makes 100% sense to me, that he would both meet a Filipina wife, and etc.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:48 PM

9,991 posts, read 16,658,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
We are friends with a couple who are from the Philippines. They are close to retirement and the husband wants to go back for the low cost of living. His wife is very much against it because of her feeling that they could become targets for kidnapping for ransom.
The father of a former colleague tried it, he too was an immigrant from the Philippines. He didn't last 6 months. He went back to his village and although he has plenty of relatives there he found you can't go home again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or