U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 06-30-2014, 06:28 PM
14,258 posts, read 23,979,216 times
Reputation: 20051


To get back to the original question, I think that if you have a chronic condition and spend more than 3-4 months at a second location, you should develop a relationship with a local doctor/specialist to treat you when you are away from home. Prior to my trip, I had my specialist and internist provide me with materials to provide my doctors in my current location so that they are NOT starting from scratch. It also helps if you need to go to an ER.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 12:15 AM
Location: land of ahhhs
277 posts, read 298,231 times
Reputation: 489
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
My husband and I want to become Snowbirds but he has been on narcotic pain meds for a long time from a legitimate pain clinic. Now, my question is , how do you go down 4-6 months at a time and still be able to get your pain meds ? We have even not been able to go on short trips because it interfered with my husbands refills. Do you get a referral before you go down to FL. I can't for the life of me figure this out because the minute you mention pain meds in Fl they roll the sidewalks up and look at you like you are a KY pillbilly. Thank you, please offer suggestions. And no, my husband is on them for the rest of his life. He had Perthe's disease in both hips when he was a child and they told him he would never walk well, guess what.......Thank you
DH's pain management specialist should be able to refer him to a colleague in whatever locale you choose. Best to have this arranged well before your seasonal move. Try NOT to rely on an ED. It's very likely they won't prescribe a schedule II, although they might write for a few hydrocodone or similar (or not).
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Location: middle tennessee
1,924 posts, read 988,107 times
Reputation: 6931
I had never heard of "pillbillies" until I read your post, tarajane. Now I have read several articles and watched two documentaries and I understand your dilemma.

I agree with others who have suggested getting help from your doctor to find someone in the area where you all are planning to stay.

Good luck. I hope this works out for you.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top