Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 05:20 AM

676 posts, read 936,157 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to become Snowbirds but he has been on narcotic pain meds for a long time from a legitimate pain clinic. Now, my question is , how do you go down 4-6 months at a time and still be able to get your pain meds ? We have even not been able to go on short trips because it interfered with my husbands refills. Do you get a referral before you go down to FL. I can't for the life of me figure this out because the minute you mention pain meds in Fl they roll the sidewalks up and look at you like you are a KY pillbilly. Thank you, please offer suggestions. And no, my husband is on them for the rest of his life. He had Perthe's disease in both hips when he was a child and they told him he would never walk well, guess what.......Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 06:34 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
My husband and I want to become Snowbirds but he has been on narcotic pain meds for a long time from a legitimate pain clinic. Now, my question is , how do you go down 4-6 months at a time and still be able to get your pain meds ?
I'm on a Schedule II narcotic for life as well, (although I don't take it for pain) and I split my time between Florida and other locales. I see two options: either order your medication by mail order if that is an option with your insurance, or get a Florida doctor for the 4-6 months that you're down here. I went the mail order route initially because the local pharmacies gave me a hard time about having an Rx for narcotics from an out-of-state doctor. I have since acquired a local doctor and have her write my prescriptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
We have even not been able to go on short trips because it interfered with my husbands refills.
Now this issue I don't understand. Why not just have your doctor write a prescription for the longer period of time. While I don't believe that refills are permitted on Sch. II narcotic prescriptions, you should still be able to get a 30-60 day supply at one time. I know that I get 180 pills (60-day supply) with each Rx.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:33 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,480,862 times
Even with a drug like oxycodone - don't know what class it is - but I assume it's the most regulated - you can get 3 months worth at a time in Florida (although some doctors may not be willing to write a 3 month Rx). OTOH - there are no refills allowed on these prescriptions. You need to go to your doctor every 3 months to get a new *written* Rx (prescriptions can't be phoned in). Don't know how mail order works - but you'll have a tough/impossible time getting a pharmacy here to fill an out-of-state Rx for narcotics. Some pharmacies here won't even fill prescriptions for narcotics (they don't stock them).

You may also have a tough time finding a doctor who will prescribe narcotics - especially if that's the only thing you're trying to get from the doctor. Because of our new "pill mill" laws. OTOH - if you plan to be in Florida for 4-6 months a year - regardless of the narcotics issue - it makes sense to have a primary care doctor here. So I would find a primary care doctor who can take care of all your medical needs - and is willing to prescribe narcotics for your husband's medical condition as well. Robyn

Old 06-26-2014, 10:01 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I'm on a Schedule II narcotic for life as well, (although I don't take it for pain) and I split my time between Florida and other locales. I see two options: either order your medication by mail order if that is an option with your insurance, or get a Florida doctor for the 4-6 months that you're down here. I went the mail order route initially because the local pharmacies gave me a hard time about having an Rx for narcotics from an out-of-state doctor. I have since acquired a local doctor and have her write my prescriptions.

Now this issue I don't understand. Why not just have your doctor write a prescription for the longer period of time. While I don't believe that refills are permitted on Sch. II narcotic prescriptions, you should still be able to get a 30-60 day supply at one time. I know that I get 180 pills (60-day supply) with each Rx.
Refills are not permitted on Schedule 2 meds. Also, refill prescriptions, to meet DEA guidelines, must be picked up in person and signed for and can't be faxed to a pharmacy like not-scheduled drugs.

MadMan is quite correct in recommending having a primary care physician in both places.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:11 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Refills are not permitted on Schedule 2 meds. Also, refill prescriptions, to meet DEA guidelines, must be picked up in person and signed for and can't be faxed to a pharmacy like not-scheduled drugs.

MadMan is quite correct in recommending having a primary care physician in both places.
^ ^ ^ Sound advice and I agree. We are seeing here in western NC that it is a nearly impossible situation to get Schedule 2 meds without a local physician. Even then, many docs are hesitant to prescribe as there have been DEA actions taken against docs/dentists in this region for over-prescribing (I guess that is how to phrase it).

Also, we are finding that often, docs will refer folks to a pain management clinic rather than write out the scripts themselves.

These are things one should carefully consider and understand before making a half-year move to another locale.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:38 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times
You should obtain a letter from your current MD on letterhead with his card stapled in detailing your relationship with him/her and your current medications. Take this letter with you to a recommended MD in the snowbird city and plainly explain what your goals are. It would be better if you would get a referral from your current MD e.g. do you know a doctor in that area or someone who does or go through a hospital MD referral network at the new city. Be specific and clear. Tell them up front that you have a doctor who prescribes for you along with the letter. this will reduce waiting time and help the new MD understand your needs.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:29 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

One of the drugs I get from my mail order pharmacy comes by UPS and I have to sign when it is delivered.

Speaking of mail order pharmacies... if your drug plan has one, use it. It is much cheaper than going to a local drug store. They also will deliver to an alternate address if you inform them ahead of time... so your current doctor can call/fax in the Rx and you have it delivered to your snowbird address.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:53 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
I'm on permanent pain meds for back issues. We travel a lot, I call in or go online for ordering my refill prescriptions to a local Walgreens and they in turn call my doctors office for approval. The doctor or his PA okays them and then the script is filled. I see the doc every 6 months or so.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:00 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,480,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I'm on permanent pain meds for back issues. We travel a lot, I call in or go online for ordering my refill prescriptions to a local Walgreens and they in turn call my doctors office for approval. The doctor or his PA okays them and then the script is filled. I see the doc every 6 months or so.
There are different classes of narcotics. For a schedule 2 drug - one would have to see a doctor every 3 months to get a new Rx (no refills allowed). Robyn

Old 06-27-2014, 06:11 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Speaking of mail order pharmacies... if your drug plan has one, use it. It is much cheaper than going to a local drug store.
This isn't always true. I have a couple of prescriptions that are actually cheaper to pick up at a retail pharmacy than if I ordered it through my mail order provider. Bottom line is that even if you have the option of using a mail order pharmacy, you still need to comparison shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement