U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 02:22 AM

17,475 posts, read 21,345,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Yes, I think the intent here was "daring" not dangerous.

My wife and I like to travel in 3rd world countries, mix with the locals, take local buses, eat from street stalls. Not dangerous but it does push you out of your comfort zone a bit.
During my late 50's I made 5 trips to Central America, riding the chicken buses and in the backs of pick-ups, just like the locals. It was after those incident-free trips that I refuse to read any of those scary U.S. Consular's Report's anymore!

Given the negative media coverage of El Salvador, I was shaking with fright as I went to my first town across its border, ready to take a taxi at 100MPH hour back to the Honduran border, just in case. Surprise, surprise! I then went on to take 3 additional trips to that wonderful country with some of the kindest, nicest people on this planet! The least touristed country in Central America, which has its pluses: no tourists around! Hurrah! Hurrah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 08:51 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,581,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
We are moving out our comfort zone, selling our home and moving out of the city we have lived in for almost 30 years, away from the kids and grand kids, to set under a palm tree and have an umbrella drink.

We decided that enough was enough. We have lived our lives taking others into consideration. Now that we have hit 65, we are going to live the rest based on our wants. That may be jet-skiing across the bay, scuba diving off the reef, or just setting on the beach.

The kids are asking, will we be OK? Who knows? But it is our life to live.
Hear! Hear! Now you're talking. We did the same but a couple of years earlier. We certainly heard about it from our combined, five daughters who all lived in the same city we did (Oh, the drama!) and our grandchildren who were old enough to know what we were doing. But like you, we were not deterred and moved to precisely where we wanted to be. Good on you both!

Old 06-26-2014, 08:57 AM

4,285 posts, read 2,631,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
During my late 50's I made 5 trips to Central America, riding the chicken buses and in the backs of pick-ups, just like the locals. It was after those incident-free trips that I refuse to read any of those scary U.S. Consular's Report's anymore!
My wife and I were in Honduras in around 2003, in La Ceiba on the Caribbean coast. Walked to a restaurant in town for dinner and all the lights in the city went out. Common problem there. It was pitch black and spooky. A taxista told us (in Spanish) to be careful as all the robbers come out when the lights go out. We high-tailed it back to our little hotel outside of town, where the electricity was still out. When we got to the hotel, there we armed guards out front, who checked us out and let us in. Welcome to the third world!

Old 06-26-2014, 09:05 AM

1,779 posts, read 2,455,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
I actually prefer danger. Perhaps being a bit screwy, but I would welcome some excitement, things have gotten too humdrum in my now old age. The thought of doing something that could perhaps get me killed or badly hurt is somewhat appealing. No, I do not have a Death Wish, so don't call the boys in white coats carrying nets. Perhaps a trip up the Amazon to unexplored regions where I might get a poisoned arrow in my chest, or even better, get in a shootout with terrorists?
I understand completely. Check out "adventure travel" to foreign countries for tourists. It should be stimulating, different, mildly dangerous, and fun.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:58 AM

4,468 posts, read 3,780,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I'm finding that a lot of post-retirement things I thought I would 'probably want to do' --- are no longer of much interest now that I am a little older and have all the time and freedom in the world. Retirement and growing older are pretty 'dangerous' in themselves.
I'm not there (retirement) yet but I find this to be true and I find getting older (60's and up)...we don't know exactly what to expect and the experiences relayed to us by our friends, family members and/or acquaintances may not happen to us.

One day at a time...and that's good enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Maybe indulging in a big breakfast with all the well-done bacon I can eat, and having a hot fudge sundae later the same day.
Can't have the bacon (I like it, it doesn't like me) but I'm voting here and now; here's my 'dangerous' maybe but certainly not out of my 'comfort zone' adventure...having a hot fudge sundae! Maybe someday real soon!

This here is a great state of mind to be in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Every day is an adventure and a gift. I don't live in fear. I want to be clear and present for the rest of it. Whatever it throws at me, I will stand tall, expect the worst and hope for the best.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:28 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,273,433 times
Quote:
hot fudge sundae!
Hot Fudge Sundaes are dangerous! Has no one read Lucifer's Hammer by Niven and Pournelle?

During an interview with a couple of scientists, someone asks what the density of a comet is; they finally compare it to ice cream, resulting in the following lines:

“I like it! Let’s hit Earth with a cubic mile of hot fudge sundae.”
And
“Hey, did you know that Hot Fudge Sundae falls on a Tuesdae this month?”

Old 06-26-2014, 12:07 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,279,387 times
Stepping out of my comfort zone would be actually going out on a date!

Old 06-26-2014, 12:22 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,676,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
I actually prefer danger. Perhaps being a bit screwy, but I would welcome some excitement, things have gotten too humdrum in my now old age. The thought of doing something that could perhaps get me killed or badly hurt is somewhat appealing. No, I do not have a Death Wish, so don't call the boys in white coats carrying nets. Perhaps a trip up the Amazon to unexplored regions where I might get a poisoned arrow in my chest, or even better, get in a shootout with terrorists?
Heck, there's a lot of places in the southland that you can practice in.
Maybe you can start with a stroll through Santa Ana around 1:30 to 3:00 A.M. on a Saturday morning.
Once you master that, try it in Compton !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or