U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:39 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,739,306 times

Advertisements

I've been reading various retirement books and articles since I am almost a year away from retirement. One item on the list was "do something dangerous" or step out of one's comfort zone. Normally, I would think of something like skydiving or having an affair (neither of which will likely happen). Given my knee injury, I doubt many physical things like hiking the Appalachian Trail will happen either. This has me kind of stumped - guess I'm too comfortable. So I am very curious, what would your "do something dangerous" list include?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 09:48 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,011,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I've been reading various retirement books and articles since I am almost a year away from retirement. One item on the list was "do something dangerous" or step out of one's comfort zone. Normally, I would think of something like skydiving or having an affair (neither of which will likely happen). Given my knee injury, I doubt many physical things like hiking the Appalachian Trail will happen either. This has me kind of stumped - guess I'm too comfortable. So I am very curious, what would your "do something dangerous" list include?
Moving to the far northern reaches of Maine.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:50 AM

8,771 posts, read 10,873,820 times
Doing something 'dangerous' is different from doing something you haven't done before - or something where you risk failure. The idea of simply doing something 'dangerous' (for the sake of excitement?) -- sounds like something a teenager would do. By the time one reaches retirement age, most have pretty well determined their 'comfort zone' or how much 'danger/excitement' the really need in their life. If you haven't figured that out yet and are really seeking 'danger,' why wait for retirement? You aren't getting younger; go for it now!

I'm finding that a lot of post-retirement things I thought I would 'probably want to do' --- are no longer of much interest now that I am a little older and have all the time and freedom in the world. Retirement and growing older are pretty 'dangerous' in themselves.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:51 AM

9,779 posts, read 7,067,088 times
Maybe indulging in a big breakfast with all the well-done bacon I can eat, and having a hot fudge sundae later the same day.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:53 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,861,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Moving to the far northern reaches of Maine.

Really? Move to Van Buren? OMG out on a limb huh?

Old 06-25-2014, 09:53 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,011,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Retirement and growing older are pretty 'dangerous' in themselves.
You can say that again. I've fallen twice in the last six months, once at the end of my crumbling driveway (which just got completely repaved today ) and once on sidewalk ice. I don't really need any more danger.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:59 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,587,787 times
Talking to strangers can be dangerous I'll tell you.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:03 AM

10,824 posts, read 8,086,306 times
Quote:
I… or step out of one's comfort zone.
I spend a couple of weeks each year in New Mexico. On this year's itinerary is a day visit to a clothing-optional spa. It'll be a first for me. It's too far out of DH's comfort zone so he'll drop me off and take a desert hike.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:27 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,449,361 times
I've always done "dangerous" things really enjoyed it because I am an adrenaline junkie I believe. Now that I can't do what I used to I'm dreadfully bored. I think about going ahead and doing some of those things anyway but for certain, I will end up seriously injured. So..... do we do dangerous things for the thrill knowing what the results will be or get some sense in our old age ? I'd hate to spend the remainder of my life in a wheel chair.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:31 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,288,700 times
Quote:
So I am very curious, what would your "do something dangerous" list include?
Something I have often wanted to do that might fit the bill is white water rafting, no special physical skills or fitness required. Thrilling according to those that have done it, and there is a slight chance of getting killed. Fall overboard and you drown or get smashed against the rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or