U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 03:35 PM

8,391 posts, read 9,136,940 times

Advertisements

We have Life Alert type services available thru our local hospital and a social services agency. $25 per month. If you push the button, they call your phone number. If you don't answer, they send someone over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 01:12 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,055,913 times
But wouldn't one need to wear this alert button all the time in order for it to be worthwhile? If you fall or have a stroke, you probably wouldn't be able to get to the life alert if it's sitting on a table somewhere. I think it would be hard to get an older person to wear it all the time, at least that's what I've been told.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:36 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
........contacted MIL's attorney with whom she had not communicated in several years and found out she had written my wife, her only child, out of her will when she married me because "Now you have a husband to take care of you." My wife had previously been divorced for 18 years.

Have I mentioned that I never did care for my mother-in-law? Not surprisingly, neither did my wife but regardless, we did the best we could for her.
Not to be nosy, but to whom or what did she leave her assets if her only child was not going to receive them? A dog or cat society, etc?

Old 07-02-2014, 04:18 PM

8,612 posts, read 9,676,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We purchased and paid for Life Alert for my mother-in-law when her health began to fail and maintained it up until she demanded 24-hour home health aid assistance, which was not necessary, so she "wouldn't be lonely. At that point my wife took over her finances, paid her bills and paid the two aids who each worked 12 hours at a stretch. We also cancelled the Life Alert but at the same time aided her financially. At the very end she was financially down to three months worth of such assistance and did need it. Thereafter it would have been on us and by then we'd retired. She absolutely refused to consider assisted living When she died at home at 2:00 a.m. the aid called 911 and also notified us. Their services no longer needed, we paid nice bonuses to the two aids out of our pockets, contacted MIL's attorney with whom she had not communicated in several years and found out she had written my wife, her only child, out of her will when she married me because "Now you have a husband to take care of you." My wife had previously been divorced for 18 years.

Have I mentioned that I never did care for my mother-in-law? Not surprisingly, neither did my wife but regardless, we did the best we could for her.
It sounds to me like you went 'above and beyond' for your MIL.

That's pretty mean to disinherit someone just because they got married.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:21 PM

8,612 posts, read 9,676,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
But wouldn't one need to wear this alert button all the time in order for it to be worthwhile? If you fall or have a stroke, you probably wouldn't be able to get to the life alert if it's sitting on a table somewhere. I think it would be hard to get an older person to wear it all the time, at least that's what I've been told.
Yes, Mom has to wear it all the time and is glad to have it. What's on the table is the machine that lets you talk back and forth to the operators and it'll pick up all over the house. Mom will have no trouble wearing it all the time, except the cord is way too long so we have to shorten it up. She can wear it in the shower as well. I wondered about setting it off accidently but the actual button is recessed so you have to push it. If she's actually passed out and can't use the button? I don't know but she doesn't have to worry about getting to the living room at all.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:12 PM

13,161 posts, read 20,780,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
My mother's alert is a bracelet. She never takes it off. It really does give her peace of mind, since I am her closest child, and I'm 4 hours away. One of her neighbors (55+ neighborhood), fell and laid on the floor for over 24 hours. She had the necklace version, and didn't have it on, because "it got in her way".

Old 07-03-2014, 01:16 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,055,913 times
I'm really thinking about approaching the subject with my dear friend/neighbor who is almost 85 years old, walks with a cane, get dizzy spells and lives in an upper unit...this is just a disaster waiting to happen, IMO. But she is very sensitive to anyone being "negative" around her so I've avoided this. I have a feeling it's because of the cost but her husband's family has money (but they live out of state)
and I'm sure they would be willing to chip in for it, but I know she wouldn't ask. They bought her an iPad so I think this Alert system would be much more important than that.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-03-2014, 02:15 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,227,512 times
Tell your neighbor about 'your other friend' who just got one. No suggestions to get one, just tell your neighbor about all the good things 'your other friend' likes about it.
That's how I used to get my Mom to start talking and make it her idea.

**'your other friend' = AZDesertBrat's mom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or