Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 07:31 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,259,939 times

Advertisements

oooh, this sounds promising:

New Pro Call Blocker V2.2
Exclusive Features:
Blocks up to 1,500 incoming phone and fax numbers with one-touch programming
Able to block calls from entire area codes or country codes
Able to block calls with no Caller ID information ("UNKNOWN," "OUT OF AREA," "UNAVAILABLE," etc.)
Requires NO batteries and is powered by your phone line
Blocks up to 100 outgoing numbers, area codes, and prefixes
Stores up to 100 most recent incoming call records with date and time
Stores up to 50 most recent outgoing call records with date and time
Compatible with FSK/DTMF, PSTN landlines, and even VOIP services
Two Year Replacement Warranty

Will my phone ring at all when a blacklisted number comes in? My telephone with "call blocking" technology rings once despite the number being blocked.
No, it will not ring at all when installed with the preferred method.

can't buy it yet though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 07:51 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,920,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post

Exclusive Features:
Blocks up to 1,500 incoming phone and fax numbers with one-touch programming
Able to block calls from entire area codes or country codes
Able to block calls with no Caller ID information ("UNKNOWN," "OUT OF AREA," "UNAVAILABLE," etc.)
Requires NO batteries and is powered by your phone line
Blocks up to 100 outgoing numbers, area codes, and prefixes
Stores up to 100 most recent incoming call records with date and time
Stores up to 50 most recent outgoing call records with date and time
Compatible with FSK/DTMF, PSTN landlines, and even VOIP services
Two Year Replacement Warranty

Will my phone ring at all when a blacklisted number comes in? My telephone with "call blocking" technology rings once despite the number being blocked.
No, it will not ring at all when installed with the preferred method.

can't buy it yet though
If you build it I will buy it. Best part is blocking VOIP numbers, as I believe a lot of my nusiance calls are VOIP. They are horrible and now are calling me late at night.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:45 PM

44,563 posts, read 61,331,648 times
We've had the do not call system for several years now. It has stopped about 99% of the unsolicited calls.
If you read the DNC web site you'll notice that Political parties, charities and businesses you've already dome business with are excluded from blocking.
ROBO calls are generated out of the USA and are not DNC controlled. DNC is only for calls generated within the USA.
We get 2 maybe 3 unsolicited calls from unsolicited, usually local businesses, each month. We just mention that this is a DNC registered number and that there is a $10,000 fine for calling one. They usually say sorry and hang-up. If anyone is persistent we hang up.
We also have an answering machine that is on most of the time to screen any calls. Most of those call are from friends or relatives calling at a most inappropriate time like meals or visiting the throne.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:47 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,487,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post

-----------------------------

can't buy it yet though
It shows available on Amazon but has lots of bad reviews.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:25 AM

513 posts, read 733,499 times
I finally got an unpublished home number after getting out of town calls for a pet boarding service for 4 years! I prefer talking on a landline to my cell phone--I think the reception is better. One person called me three times in one day, leaving messages and getting more frantic each time--"Please, please return my call." Actually considered giving these folks the address of a local Korean restaurant, but I'm just not that mean. The last straw was when the woman looking for someone to keep "Muffy" told me indignantly my number was on the Internet and I should take it off!? Uhhh, I didn't put it there!! I had already gone through my usual explanation--it belonged to someone before me, so sorry, etc. The telephone company told me there wasn't anything they could do. I think it's worth the $5/month for peace of mind (except for the robo political solicitation calls, of course) and the phone company waived the number change fee for me.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:38 AM

51,584 posts, read 25,582,790 times
We used to get half a dozen calls a day to install security systems, lifeline buttons, buy tickets so the cops could take handicap kids to ball games...

Our phone number is on the national DNC registry and for a time, I went online and registered every inappropriate call. Didn't change a thing.

I always either ask to be remove or press the number that is supposed to remove us from the list. Doesn't help.

If I ignore the call, I end up with a message on my answering machine that I have to erase.

So I started talking with the folks. Lots of questions. Ask them to repeat information. I do dishes, chop vegetables, fold clothes and ask endless questions. Just when it sounds like I'm on the hook, I announce that my husband handles all these decisions and I'm going to give the phone to him. I shout his name a couple times, then mention that he will be here in just a moment and to be sure and speak up as he is hard of hearing.

I haven't gotten a call in several weeks now.

Fingers crossed.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:43 AM

51,584 posts, read 25,582,790 times
I noticed that if I respond to those phone surveys asking political questions, the number of calls goes up. I think our number ends up on a super list of some sort that gets passed around.

So I started pontificating. If they ask my opinion on something I go on and on. I refuse to answer 10, very concerned. Or 1, could care less. Or if I do pick a number, I go back and forth. "6. No make that a 4. No, I think 6 is closer. What do you thnk? Oh, what the hell, put down 5."

I always ask who is paying for this survey. They never know. But it takes up time.

If they ask who I plan to vote for I respond that that's why we have a secret ballot in this country.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:54 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,595,312 times
We never pick up the phone any more when it first rings..use the answering machine to screen. 9 out of 10 calls are PITA calls. Most people use email these days and avoid the phone.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:56 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,596,692 times
Quote:
Yes..only thing is that might be tough for calls that come as 'unavailable' from people who prefer to hide their number no?

Well witht he above now we got to buy stuff to stop calls on a phone which is something to get calls in the first place..so we pay now to stop getting calls which we pay for already..;-)..

Now I think we now have to just get used to the idea that if you buy any product now in the 21st we can never underestimate the fact that somebody somewhere will cause you to hate it so much that you would pay to continue for it to do what it was meant to do in the first place without extraneous problems. That is progress...;-)..btw...how much are ya paying for er ...virus protection???? That's screwed up too, eh?

Old 06-27-2014, 08:11 AM

26,647 posts, read 28,506,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
I finally got an unpublished home number after getting out of town calls for a pet boarding service for 4 years! I prefer talking on a landline to my cell phone--I think the reception is better. One person called me three times in one day, leaving messages and getting more frantic each time--"Please, please return my call." Actually considered giving these folks the address of a local Korean restaurant, but I'm just not that mean. The last straw was when the woman looking for someone to keep "Muffy" told me indignantly my number was on the Internet and I should take it off!? Uhhh, I didn't put it there!! I had already gone through my usual explanation--it belonged to someone before me, so sorry, etc. The telephone company told me there wasn't anything they could do. I think it's worth the $5/month for peace of mind (except for the robo political solicitation calls, of course) and the phone company waived the number change fee for me.

We had a similar situation only it was from a boat business. Every spring we'd get 5+ calls a day for them. I looked up the business online and it turns out they used to have our phone number but are now out of state. So we kept giving the callers the correct number but there were so many callers that it was hopeless.

Five + calls/day and in the summer months maybe 2-3 calls a day, rest of the year 1-2 calls a day.

The business owner was helpful and changed his number on the website but it was GOOGLE that was spamming his/OUR phone number all over the internet. Just try getting rid of it when it's GOOGLE.

We not only got calls from customers but from Google Maps, Google Places, Google this, Google that. Then they'd sell the list and we'd get calls from places wanting to do our business taxes.

The phone company said they would change our phone number but we wanted to keep the number. We had no idea this would continue so long. Finally last week one of the customers called up and when my husband tried to give them the correct number, they swore at him and hung up. My husband went like a red rag to a bull--FURIOUS. He called the phone company again and this time they said there is new technology that can take care of this. I don't know what they did but it's been beautiful boating weather and we have not had even ONE call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement