U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 04:05 PM

2,903 posts, read 4,583,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
We get collection calls from attorney's office and what I assume are collection agencies for someone named D. Broom. Have for several years. She puts down our number for some reason as the phone company assures us that this number was not assigned to a D. Broom in the past.

It seems to be the same voices and numbers over and over. I assure them that no one by that name lives here. I don't think they believe me.
For the last couple of years, I have been getting calls on my cell phone for someone who has the same first and last name as me. We have different middle initials, different birthdates, different SS numbers and a different address, but still I get calls for this lady, and sometimes her husband. You see, she and hubby do not like to pay their bills or show up for scheduled court dates. I did a little research online, and was able to find Mrs. Deadbeat's address and landline number...but I'm guessing that she and Mr. Deadbeat probably don't answer their phone when the collection agencies call, so I'm the one who gets the next call. <sigh>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 04:43 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,234,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I want a block wildcard that lets me block ALL 800 *,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
No spam calls on the cell. Now I've probably jinxed myself.
Three hours after I posted the above, my phone rang. An 800 number. I just started laughing and ignored it. Then the chime went off telling me I had a message! Spammers that leave messages, who would have thought?

It was a robo-call - BUT - it was my electric company warning me of a planned power outage next Monday.

So you may not want to block all 800 numbers

Old 06-27-2014, 05:18 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,413,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
For the last couple of years, I have been getting calls on my cell phone for someone who has the same first and last name as me. We have different middle initials, different birthdates, different SS numbers and a different address, but still I get calls for this lady, and sometimes her husband. You see, she and hubby do not like to pay their bills or show up for scheduled court dates. I did a little research online, and was able to find Mrs. Deadbeat's address and landline number...but I'm guessing that she and Mr. Deadbeat probably don't answer their phone when the collection agencies call, so I'm the one who gets the next call. <sigh>
The same thing happened to me when I lived in NC. For 5 years, some other person had the same number as me, and the phone company that owned the number was giving it out to inquirers!! I finally had enough of it and called the company in question. Seems it was a reporting error and they finally fixed it!

I think the calls were from collection agencies as well. I found her, on the internet, living in a nearby neighborhood... why couldn't someone else find her??? I started giving out her real number and the calls stopped after a while.

Now that I just have a cell phone, I get spammers, scammers and solicitations nearly every day or two. So annoying. There really isn't any way to stop them. I block the numbers if they call more than once but they just get new numbers, probably VOIP.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:09 PM

2,903 posts, read 4,583,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
The same thing happened to me when I lived in NC. For 5 years, some other person had the same number as me, and the phone company that owned the number was giving it out to inquirers!! I finally had enough of it and called the company in question. Seems it was a reporting error and they finally fixed it!
I don't think Mrs. Deadbeat and I have the same cell phone number...I think that the collection agencies have purchased lists of cell phone numbers, and because she and I have the same first and last name, they're calling me in hopes of reaching the person who owes them money.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:55 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Some of us have to make a living calling out selling. I bet some of the high and mighty retirees had to do the same thing when they first began their career, and maybe beyond. I dislike talking on the phone or calling people I don't know. Heck, I rarely call my sweet mom, who is the best human God ever put on earth. But I do have to call call people I have a financial relationship with, all day, every day. And I know they might get tired of it, but it's my job.
It may be your job, but listening to you is NOT a job for the people you're calling. You dislike talking on the phone? Guess what, they do too and yet you expect them to do so without being paid. Either split your salary with them or give them your home number and ask them to call you when you're off work.

edit to add: I'm never rude to spam callers. For the most part, I don't answer the phone and when I do, I say "not interested" and hang up.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 06-27-2014 at 10:30 PM..

Old 06-27-2014, 10:22 PM

88,076 posts, read 3,670,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Some of us have to make a living calling out selling. I bet some of the high and mighty retirees had to do the same thing when they first began their career, and maybe beyond. I dislike talking on the phone or calling people I don't know. Heck, I rarely call my sweet mom, who is the best human God ever put on earth. But I do have to call call people I have a financial relationship with, all day, every day. And I know they might get tired of it, but it's my job.

Rarely do I get a rude answer. That is to their credit. But for some of you and your ideas how to deal with us "unsolicited callers", remember when you were trying to make a living and how you may have been annoying to customers or manager, or co-workers.

Don't want the call, no need to blow a whistle or threaten to litigate.
I agree. I'm a retiree who did telephone opinion surveys back in the day. There's no need for people to be jerks as so many here seem determined to be. Like you, I found that most people I called were not rude and those that declined to participate in a survey did so graciously.

If you receive an unwanted call, a simple "Sorry, I'm not interested" will suffice for most callers.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:57 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,304,137 times
The answering machine is my friend, and so is caller ID. We've only had caller ID for about six years now. I look at the number, then hit the talk button and then the hang up button. DH lets them go to the machine.

Our cell phones don't work for twelve miles on the way to the metropolis from our house. I have no idea how that's going to change when we move nearer to civilization.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:34 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,413,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I don't think Mrs. Deadbeat and I have the same cell phone number...I think that the collection agencies have purchased lists of cell phone numbers, and because she and I have the same first and last name, they're calling me in hopes of reaching the person who owes them money.

Yes, I understand. Your OP just reminded me of similar elements.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:46 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,443,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I noticed that if I respond to those phone surveys asking political questions, the number of calls goes up. I think our number ends up on a super list of some sort that gets passed around.

So I started pontificating. If they ask my opinion on something I go on and on. I refuse to answer 10, very concerned. Or 1, could care less. Or if I do pick a number, I go back and forth. "6. No make that a 4. No, I think 6 is closer. What do you thnk? Oh, what the hell, put down 5."

I always ask who is paying for this survey. They never know. But it takes up time.

If they ask who I plan to vote for I respond that that's why we have a secret ballot in this country.

That's great! I have a marvelous time with the democratic party and abuse the caller with gusto. It entertains me to no end and I work off my anger/frustrations. Great sport !!

Old 06-29-2014, 09:47 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,733,569 times
When I relocated to a new area in retirement, I signed up for the phone company's internet service but told them I did not want a land line phone.

When the woman asked why I stated..............."unsolicited calls"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement