U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 07:48 PM

190 posts, read 154,121 times

Advertisements

When I registered to vote, I was asked for a telephone number. I answered none. I don't get political calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 09:51 PM

10,819 posts, read 8,073,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Just curious, why do people feel the need to dish out money for a land line when you already have a cell phone ?
We have a landline because our home is in a dark hole cell spot, we've had the same # for 30+ years, and it's a reasonably priced part of our Uverse package.

We have cell because we travel a lot, especially since retiring. We're away from home about 3 months a year and a smartphone is invaluable on the road.

Yes, we need both.

edit to add: Keep in mind too that married folks usually each have their own cellphone, meaning two different numbers. That can work but in our case it's nice to have a 'shared' landline number for relatives, legal documents, etc. At the same time, separate cell numbers give us many advantages, including being able to contact each other.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 07-01-2014 at 10:02 PM..

Old 07-01-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devans0 View Post
When I registered to vote, I was asked for a telephone number. I answered none. I don't get political calls.
~sigh~ DH disregarded my advice to do so, and we pay the price. We have a google voice number that I might get him to use next time around. Right now it's attached to a dead cell #, which should stop calls.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:16 PM

11,939 posts, read 20,407,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Just curious, why do people feel the need to dish out money for a land line when you already have a cell phone ?
I am a first class panicker. I've had to call 911 a number of times and most of those times I am in such a state I can't remember my address.

A land line HAS my address.My mot knowing it in my panic didn't matter -- I could still get help. And for years -- cell tech didn't have that capability.

I'm getting more comfortable with cell tech, and we are considering it.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I am a first class panicker. I've had to call 911 a number of times and most of those times I am in such a state I can't remember my address.
When my stepdad died, I had to call the hospice nurse - something we had anticipated and planned for, and the number was posted in big print just above the phone.
I managed to dial the number but when the service answered and asked for my name, I completely blanked. That's right, I forgot my own name, not to mention my stepdad's name and our address.

It happens.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:01 AM

34,696 posts, read 33,714,187 times
The ringer on my landline is turned off. For the caller, the phone just rings and rings like no one is home. I hear nothing and have no idea how many incoming calls I get on it. I only use the landline for outgoing calls...and to find where I put down my cell phone when I can't find it. I don't give out that number so it can only be some pain in the a** calling to either sell me something or asking me to vote for them.

For the cell phone, I only answer numbers and names I recognize. If any call shows "unavailable" I don't answer the phone and they never leave a voice message.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:10 PM

9,620 posts, read 4,612,445 times
Card services, a total scam. The Attorney General tells me that they can't fine them for calling people on the no-call list because they are so sophisticated, they can make any number show on the caller ID. They can't catch them. I guess everyone knows, they call and offer to get your interest rates lowered on your credit cards, when what they want is your card numbers so they can rip you off.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:03 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,535,796 times
I have a solution to stop telemarketers calls immediately and it works, if you can get CenturyLink phone service. CenturyLink has a service that should be standard on all telephones called "No Solicitation". You program up to 25 phone numbers that can 'ring through'. When those callers dial your phone number, those callers ring your phone immediately. Callers that are not on your list receive a message that they can ring though if they are not a telemarketer by pressing "1". Most telemarketer calls are robo-calls or are initiated by a robot. Therefore, the robot does not hear the outgoing message and moves on. The beauty of the "No Solicitation" feature is you never hear the phone ring and never have to manually look at your caller ID. I consider manually screening calls to be very annoying. We used to get two telemarketer calls per night. After turning on the "No Solicitation" feature, the telemarketer calls stopped immediately and silently. Although, there are a couple telemarketers over the past several years that actually pressed '1' to ring though, so it's not absolutely perfect, but it's close.

http://qc.centurylink.com/residentia...itation_en.pdf

There's a company called "Privacy Corps" that used to sell a anti-telemarketer device. They sold several devices over the years, but their latest device has been discontinued for quite some time now. I wish I would have purchased that device. There's one product called 'Call Screener' that might work on their web page.

Block unwanted calls and stop junk faxes - with or without Caller ID - before your phone rings

There's a relatively new law that allows you sue telemarketer companies that call your cellphone. A local TV station did a story about it.

New telemarketing law could mean cash for unwanted calls - KMSP-TV

Years ago, I also tried keeping the telemarketers on the phone as long as possible to waste their time. I bought a 'hold' button and made up excuses why I had to put them on hold. The longest was about 4 to 5 minutes of 'hold' time with 3 hold time sessions.

There a funny story about a guy who lived in the Twin Cities area who made a living suing telemarketer companies. He setup 5 telephone lines, each with 2 phone numbers. He then entered the numbers in contests to get the numbers circulated around. He put the numbers on the "Do Not Call List". He then waited for telemarketers to call. He recorded the phone calls. He would then sue the telemarketer. He average wining was $1,500. Sometimes the telemarketing company would swear at him or react in some very negative way. He hoped that the telemarketing companies reacted that way because he could sue them for thousands more. He mailed the telemarketer companies his packet of information about his law suit and a copy telephone recording. If the company was too small, he would accept installments from the company. He made about $100K per year for 5 years. The story featured on KMSP and one other local TV station. He lived alone in an apartment with his cat and did not have a job, since sueing the telemarketing companies was his job. He sold a self published book for awhile how to sue telemarketer companies. I think he eventually lost a law suit against a telemarketing company, and I'm guessing that was the end of his 'career' sueing telemarketing companies. The TV stations also interviewed a telemarketing company, and they did not like that guy at all! They though he should get a 'real' job instead of suing them!

If you have CenturyLink phone service in your area, check out the "No Solicitation" feature. CenturyLink has phone and Internet for about $86, which isn't cheap. The phone service is expensive, but no other company seems to offer that type of anti-telemarketer feature. It worked for us. Your telemarketer calls could be stopped cold tomorrow!

Old 07-05-2014, 06:56 AM

2,291 posts, read 4,950,701 times
I have bombarded with calls about "Mesh Sling Suit", where they got the number from is beyond me. I supposedly had call block on my phone, it never worked, calls came through anyway. Also on the DNC list, that is a joke.

I started out asking them to leave me alone, didn't work. Then, I advised them I was reporting their number to the FCC, and I did, every time, slowed some of them down. Then I started to tell them I know that this is a scam, slowed a few more down...now, I just don't answer any numbers I don't recognize.

99% of the calls I receive sound like they are from overseas, although the number is a US one, must link up somehow. In any case, it is a real pain in the azz.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:42 PM

10,137 posts, read 12,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
We've had the do not call system for several years now. It has stopped about 99% of the unsolicited calls.
If you read the DNC web site you'll notice that Political parties, charities and businesses you've already dome business with are excluded from blocking.
ROBO calls are generated out of the USA and are not DNC controlled. DNC is only for calls generated within the USA.
We get 2 maybe 3 unsolicited calls from unsolicited, usually local businesses, each month. We just mention that this is a DNC registered number and that there is a $10,000 fine for calling one. They usually say sorry and hang-up. If anyone is persistent we hang up.
We also have an answering machine that is on most of the time to screen any calls. Most of those call are from friends or relatives calling at a most inappropriate time like meals or visiting the throne.
I agree with everything you say.

Calls were getting ridiculous so I got on the list May 28, 2014 and having been on the list for more than 30 days we have yet to receive our first phone call for nearly a week now and I am broken hearted.

I am all ready for them. Hey, don't mock me I am very near retirement and something like this sounds kind of fun to be involved with.

Everything in the you tube video below is true but first check out rumor #7:

Dispelling The Do Not Call List Rumors

by Ryan Guina

Quote:
I hate telemarketers. With a passion. OK, maybe I donít hate telemarketers, but I hate the job they perform. I donít want them to contact me at all -it is a waste of my time and theirs.

The good news is Ė you have rights which can eliminate almost all telemarketing phone calls to your house! All you have to do is call the National Do Not Call Registry, or register on-line. It is that easy!

Rumor 7: Each violation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act is punishable by a $500 fine Ė payable to you. TRUE! Each time a telemarketer calls you, you can sue them in small claims court for $500. If you can prove it, you stand a very good chance of winning! Read a great article about the process of suing telemarketers. Some people make very good money doing this (read: several thousand dollars per year!)

How To Stop Telemarketing Calls - YouTube

So by each phone I have a clipboard with the following questions:

Quote:
Collect and write down the evidence. Ten questions they are required by law to answer.

Write down the phone number if on ID.

1. Is this a telemarketing call?

2. What is your full name?

3. What is the name of the organization you are calling for?

4. What is the companies phone number?

5. Do you keep a do-not-call list?

6. I would like my phone number put on that list.

7. Can you make sure your company won't call me for any other reason?

8. Will your company keep my number on its keep a do-not-call list for at least 10 years?

9. Does your company have a written policy that says you can't call me?

10. Can you send me a copy of that policy?
Sue em in small claims court. If they do not show up you will receive a default judgement.

Will it work? I've heard people say it works very well but hey, I don't have a whole lot of anything else to do and to me this kind of sounds like a fun thing to do. Something along the lines of 419eater.com which gives you something to do with the get rich quick emails you always get. I actually look forward to receiving scam emails because it always gives me a chance to bag a trophy!

Here's a scammer getting baptized as a member of the Church of the Holy Coconut Milk!

You might want to visit The Trophy Room

Over the years I have had them send me money and while it is never much, usually between $10 and $50 depending on what they want, it's still beer money.

So now I am setting my sights on telemarketer that hopefully has much deeper pockets.

So, if you are a telemarketer please call me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement