U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 02:27 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,238,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Card services, a total scam. The Attorney General tells me that they can't fine them for calling people on the no-call list because they are so sophisticated, they can make any number show on the caller ID. They can't catch them. I guess everyone knows, they call and offer to get your interest rates lowered on your credit cards, when what they want is your card numbers so they can rip you off.
There is a very large thread (now closed to posts) over on the Personal Finance Forum.
"Credit Card Services"

Also, a shorter open thread:
Rachel is gone -- no more robocalls from card services
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 03:04 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,147,686 times
Lately, I've had several calls where when I say hello, a female voice says goodbye. Caller ID only shows "unavailable," so I have a good idea it's not a regular call. I realize I don't have to pick up, but, I also don't want to keep hearing the ringing. it all seems so pointless.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:14 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,037,561 times
I read in the newspaper that several groups doing the Microsoft scam were caught and fined a lot of money.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:51 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,473,076 times
Haven't had a telemarketing call for about ten years now. Not since I got rid of the land line and went cell only.

One thing that doesn't work is that around the same time I changed my political affiliation with the Registrar of Voters to "nothing". Mostly I did it because the political party to which I was affiliated since I was of legal age to vote no longer represented my beliefs, philosophies, or interests. Another reason, albeit minor, was so that I would no longer receive political garbage in the mail at election times.

Well, that didn't work out so well. Now I get political junk mail from BOTH sides!

Old 08-26-2014, 09:36 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,534,875 times
I have been using the Century Link No Solicitation service for about three years. It works almost perfectly to block and eliminate telemarketer calls. It screens out the telemarketer calls before the phone rings. Calls without caller legitimate ID information are blocked. There are white and black lists too. However, Century Link No Solicitation service isn't available everywhere. It actually should be built into every phone service, including cellphone service as a 'standard' feature. Once in a while, telemarketers do call my cellphones.

Here's telemarketer solutions that I've found. Has anyone tried these solutions? If so, how well do they work for you? The Sentry Call Blocker looks like it might be a good solution.

I've thought about changing my landline service to reduce the cost and in the long term, I might eventually move to another area that does not have the Century Link No Solicitation service. It's always possible that the No Solicitation service might not be offered in the future, however, I don't think that is going to happen. It's always good to have a backup plan, or a method to use or recommend to others so they don't have to reduce their quality of life putting up with the telemarketer calls.

Unwanted Calls Solution Comparison Chart

Sentry Call Blocker

Old 08-26-2014, 03:37 PM

12,578 posts, read 16,675,018 times
I haven't had a landline in about ten years. For incoming cell phones calls out of my area code, I just don't answer them unless I recognize the number. If it's important, they can always leave a voice mail.

I find the less I answer these telemarketers, the less they call me. I haven't had a call from a telemarketer in weeks.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:14 PM

11,938 posts, read 20,400,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I haven't had a landline in about ten years. For incoming cell phones calls out of my area code, I just don't answer them unless I recognize the number. If it's important, they can always leave a voice mail.

I find the less I answer these telemarketers, the less they call me. I haven't had a call from a telemarketer in weeks.
I wish that worked. We got rid of the phone at the desk, so I no longer mess up and answer. Family knows to call cells phones. Since we have a business, our phone number is out there for that, so I can't ditch landline, and I've found leaving myself message reminders very helpful in work.

But I never ever answer my phone anymore. And on week days I'm home, I can hear the one phone we have plugged in ring 6-7-8 times a day... and the answering machine pick up and no one says anything -- clear indication of a robocall.

BUT -- what we've done is set the machine to pick up at two rings. No endless ringing. What I should do it unplug the other phone and let the machine handle it.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:36 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,617,390 times
I just look at the caller ID and don't answer if it's not a number I recognize. If it's important, they'll leave a message.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:40 AM

72,002 posts, read 83,671,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I just look at the caller ID and don't answer if it's not a number I recognize. If it's important, they'll leave a message.
That is the best way and one most of us are now depending on. Our problem, we have our portable phone which we take most places with up while wandering around the house, but in the dining room we have a regular one and although it has caller ID, it is very hard to read, so one of us ends up answering it: we are on the list for diabetic meds, though neither of us are diabetic: we can have a free security system installed at any time, we need to call this number right away to get our free, for a month life line and we need to be aware of how many seniors fall getting in and out of the tub, so we should consider an estimate on a new walk in tub. Oh and the best, we are have a law suit with IRS being brought against. We need to call officer Mark right away. I think he is related to officer Steve maybe, but I am not sure who he works for.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:41 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,534,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
But I never ever answer my phone anymore. And on week days I'm home, I can hear the one phone we have plugged in ring 6-7-8 times a day... and the answering machine pick up and no one says anything -- clear indication of a robocall.

BUT -- what we've done is set the machine to pick up at two rings. No endless ringing. What I should do it unplug the other phone and let the machine handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That is the best way and one most of us are now depending on. Our problem, we have our portable phone which we take most places with up while wandering around the house, but in the dining room we have a regular one and although it has caller ID, it is very hard to read, so one of us ends up answering it: we are on the list for diabetic meds, though neither of us are diabetic: we can have a free security system installed at any time, we need to call this number right away to get our free, for a month life line and we need to be aware of how many seniors fall getting in and out of the tub, so we should consider an estimate on a new walk in tub. Oh and the best, we are have a law suit with IRS being brought against. We need to call officer Mark right away. I think he is related to officer Steve maybe, but I am not sure who he works for.
These methods work to a limited degree. But you have to listen to the telemarketer ringing your phone. You then have to get up and look at the caller ID. If you have the "No Solicitation" service, then you don't hear the telephone ring when the telemarketers call. The only ringing you hear are callers that have already been screened automatically. The telemarketers are still trying to call, but their call attempts are silently eliminated.

It's a big difference. Without screening, you are the screener. You hear the ringing and have to manually screen each telemarketer call. You hear and still feel the impact of the telemarketer calls, since their unwanted calls disturb your life with their phone ringing, even through you don't answer the phone have have to talk with them. If you automatically screen the calls, then they are gone from your life completely, silently, and automatically. The only ringing you hear on your home phone is from someone that is not a telemarketer.

Cellphones work pretty well, but not as effectively. I haven't had a telemarketer call for about a year on my cellphones. I was getting telemarketing call from a cruise company that starts the call with a ship horn. You have to listen to the message for one minute, where it gives you the option to press a number, like option "3" to be taken off the list. After pressing that option on each of my cellphones when it called, that telemarketer never called again.

The Robo calls are illegal in Minnesota, but the telemarketers ignore that law as well as the Do Not Call List. The most effective method to eliminate the telemarketer call problem is to screen the calls from your home phone. Once you stop hearing the telemarketer ringing your phone, and it stays that way, you've won the battle. Until then, hearing the ringing each time a telemarketer calls, you are still losing the battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement