U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:45 PM

5,060 posts, read 6,067,982 times

Advertisements

The right carpeting can be low maintenance. Unfortunately, I have this cheap semi-shag that came with the house and I have a kitty that spits up fur balls on occasion. Hardwood and vinyl surfaces are much more practical for me. Hardwood can be cold if there are drafts or there is an uninsulated crawl space underneath. Otherwise they are fine. If one is moving around on canes or a walker, rugs can become trip hazards and plush carpets can be problematic, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 09:57 PM

4,468 posts, read 3,780,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Before anyone rolls their eyes, Iím aware this isnít an earthshaking problem and thereís many more serious ones in life, but this does have to do with a mobility problem thatís not going to get any better soÖ.I would appreciate suggestions on this one thing and also invite talk about other household challenges in regard to aging bones, and how you solved them (or didnít). I know many of you have housekeepers.
I understand your concerns even if I don't currently have mobility problems...I have two shelties and although I have no allergies related to them or dust/anything else, for obvious reasons I still need to do the floors once a week minimum.

These are the products/tools I use and have used for some time now. I like the dost mop because its material is washable (sturdy Velcro adheres it to handle) and made well enough to do a good job of dirt, dust, and dog hair which seems to just jump on it; and you can purchase replacements.

Libman Freedom Floor Duster-Easily cleans hard-to-reach places such as walls, ceilings and baseboards. Microfiber fingers lift and lock dust, dirt and pet hair.

Libmanģ Products

I also like the Libman mop for similar reasons other than it is a wet mop with a built in wringer...and it's not heavy, nor is it flimsy. Replacement mop heads can also be purchased; btw the mop heads can be washed in the washing machine, same with the dust mop.

Libman Wonder Mop

Libman Wonder Mop - YouTube

Back in the day when I was younger I would scrub my floors on my hands and knees with an old fashioned wooden scrub brush. I still use a scrub brush, I just use it with a long handle attached and can scrub while standing when I need to scrub floors; the results are great.

Standard Deck Scrub Brush, 10" H-3536 - Uline

If you can glean anything from this that makes your life a little easier, great, if not just keep reading someone will have an answer and someone else may have another. In any case, I feel your pain.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:16 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,044,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I

I also like the Libman mop for similar reasons other than it is a wet mop with a built in wringer...and it's not heavy, nor is it flimsy. Replacement mop heads can also be purchased; btw the mop heads can be washed in the washing machine, same with the dust mop.

Libman Wonder Mop

This mop looks great, I'm checking it out. Thanks!

Old 06-30-2014, 10:19 AM

2,030 posts, read 2,664,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Coming from Miami, have you ever seen "Cuban mops"? I actually found those pretty handy, as you could use your own rags on the ends, and they got into corners a lot better than some other mops.

Frugal In Florida: Cuban Mop - How to Use
This is my weapon of choice! I learned about Cuban mops when I lived in in Miami. Where I live now, in central FL, the main areas of my house are tiled, and the Cuban mop is my go-to tool for cleaning floors.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:35 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,320,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
The price to have our 3 story Georgian home's windows washed--53 windows with small panes, inside and outside, 7 of which windows were at the top of 2-story rooms, was $450 here in GA.
That is a lot less than folks charge in Charlotte. Very good price for all those windows, and especially knowing you have 3 stories.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:04 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,997,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Coming from Miami, have you ever seen "Cuban mops"? I actually found those pretty handy, as you could use your own rags on the ends, and they got into corners a lot better than some other mops.

Frugal In Florida: Cuban Mop - How to Use
I've seen Cuban mops and used them (was introduced to them by one of my housekeepers - who wasn't Cuban). Still own one. They wind up being problematic for larger floor areas as opposed to "spot cleaning". And I really don't like having to wash all the dirty rags. The last mop I really liked was the Clorox "Readymop". They weren't built well (so they didn't last that long) - but they were inexpensive and got the job done. Unfortunately - the product was discontinued. I bought the Rubbermaid Reveal mop to replace it. But it doesn't do as good a job IMO (the washable pads don't seem to absorb enough water - so you're dusting - not washing - the floor).

This thread has inspired me to buy a new cleaning gadget. A steam mop. Not so much for "sanitizing" as for simple cleaning (I don't eat off my floors ). Will see how it goes and report back. Robyn

Old 07-01-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Wow! Now there's a great retirement job. Move to FL and wash windows for a fair price.
I'm not sure why the quotes are so high here. Maybe it's because I want the windows squeegeed as well as washed? Maybe no one wants to wash windows by hand? Most people in the "water cleaning" business here are pressure washers - and they'll pressure wash the windows for less money. But - even on a low setting - I'm concerned a pressure washer would push water into the house (especially around the sliding glass doors). When my husband and I give up the ghost on the window washing - we'll probably have our pressure washing guy take care of it. Robyn

Old 07-01-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Cooking delicious meals ultimately means washing dishes, something that I've always hated and despised even with a dishwasher. In fact, we do a bare minimum of that now and have for several years. Throw away Styrofoam cups, plastic forks and spoons, cardboard bowls, plates and saucers are wonderful and all we use.
We got a new dishwasher a few years ago - and it is *so* much better than the old one it replaced. So you might reconsider. FWIW - my husband takes care of the dishes and the pots and pans (except for a few that I think need my TLC). He's my prep chef too. Probably two reasons I don't mind planning meals and cooking them these days. Robyn

Old 07-01-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
...I also like the Libman mop for similar reasons other than it is a wet mop with a built in wringer...and it's not heavy, nor is it flimsy. Replacement mop heads can also be purchased; btw the mop heads can be washed in the washing machine, same with the dust mop.

Libman Wonder Mop

Back in the day when I was younger I would scrub my floors on my hands and knees with an old fashioned wooden scrub brush. I still use a scrub brush, I just use it with a long handle attached and can scrub while standing when I need to scrub floors; the results are great.

Standard Deck Scrub Brush, 10" H-3536 - Uline

If you can glean anything from this that makes your life a little easier, great, if not just keep reading someone will have an answer and someone else may have another. In any case, I feel your pain.
I have one of those Libman mops and like it too. But it's still the kind of thing where you need to use a bucket (or be near a sink). A disadvantage IMO.

When you mentioned a scrub brush with a handle - I thought of this gizmo I have:

Icky Stick - Pumice Stone Toilet Ring Remover (don't know if this is the brand I have)

A pumice stone on a stick. Great for getting rid of mineral/hard water stains in toilets and similar. Can also remove callouses from your feet (although I wouldn't use the same stick for both jobs ). Robyn

Old 07-01-2014, 02:54 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,888,294 times
i just make my relatives do all my chores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement