U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 01:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Honestly? The only reason 'it still needs to be vacuumed under there once a week' is because of a problem between your ears. The idea that you would even think to move a platform bed in order to vacuum the floor is pretty good evidence of the location of the trouble. The Dust-Under-The-Bed Police will NOT get a search warrant and bust you.

Desensitize yourself. Throw a handful of dirt from the garden under the bed, leave it there for a month, then vacuum monthly or quarterly thereafter.
Sorry to disappoint you regarding my state of mind, but I have been tested for serious allergies and wheat and dust are at the top of the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't know . . . I never think to look, lolololol.

NEG - the swiffer idea is a good one, if you must get under that bed. A Roomba is even better! I can't do such contortions - I have re-injured this shoulder one time too many in the last month and even if I wanted to contort myself to vacuum under any of my various beds, I couldn't.

So I don't.

I used to have a housekeeper every week but I now just have someone come a few times a year to do such things as vacuum under the beds.
A few times a YEAR? OMG, that would never do here. Maybe b/c we have dogs, but it's not dog hair under there, it's good old fashioned dust. I do it once a week when I vacuum the whole house.

What is a Roomba, will have to google it!

P.S. Doesn't anyone else get dust, lol?

Old 06-27-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
There's dust under the bed????
None under yours, living in the desert? (:

Old 06-27-2014, 01:24 PM

9,123 posts, read 17,121,718 times
I would never vacuum under the bed. The scary monster that lives under there would get mad.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I gave away my high-off-the-ground bed frame last November.
Mattress and box springs are now on the floor.
Love it.
I had forgotten how nice it is to not have to jump up to get on the bed.
No vacuuming
So...your platform bed frame....do the sides meet the floor completely and keep the dust from rolling underneath?

Old 06-27-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I would never vacuum under the bed. The scary monster that lives under there would get mad.
You just might be surprised at what lives under there, in the dust, lol.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:33 PM

5,601 posts, read 4,929,432 times
OP, I feel your pain - literally. I have arthritic knees and a repaired rotator cuff that really limit my ability to do housework the way I used to.

I have wood floors in my bedroom, so my bed is easy to move. I push it a half bed width to one side, and use a dust mop to get under that part of the bed, then go around to the other side of the bed, push it a half bed width over, and get the other part of the floor. That way you don't have to stretch your arm at an awkward angle.

A gadget that I found to be really good to clean the tub and walls surrounding it is a scrubby sponge that is attached to a long handle. I think Mr. Clean puts it out. It swivels and makes getting into the corners and up against the wall really easy. No more getting on your knees to clean the tub.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:42 PM

8,578 posts, read 5,969,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
A few times a YEAR? OMG, that would never do here. Maybe b/c we have dogs, but it's not dog hair under there, it's good old fashioned dust. I do it once a week when I vacuum the whole house.

What is a Roomba, will have to google it!

P.S. Doesn't anyone else get dust, lol?
newenglandgirl, meet Roomba!!!!

iRobot Roomba 780 HD - YouTube

BTW, we get dust AND dog hair. We sweep up the dog hair every day (thank goodness for wooden floors) and vacuum the carpeted areas every week.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:57 PM

14,364 posts, read 7,911,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Honestly? The only reason 'it still needs to be vacuumed under there once a week' is because of a problem between your ears. The idea that you would even think to move a platform bed in order to vacuum the floor is pretty good evidence of the location of the trouble. The Dust-Under-The-Bed Police will NOT get a search warrant and bust you.

Desensitize yourself. Throw a handful of dirt from the garden under the bed, leave it there for a month, then vacuum monthly or quarterly thereafter.

I have dust allergy issues as well and can't tolerate all the dust and dog hair anywhere in our room. Not to mention how nasty it is living in anything less then hospital clean. The swiffer duster works great and better then our vacuum cleaner that I managed to break one of our wavy glass antique windows with. I have a swiffer duster for high places with an extension handle on it that might work under the bed as well. Try laying on the bed on your stomach newenglandgirl and reaching under the bed with the duster. It works great under our oven too. I'm sure the dust under the oven police won't come knocking on my door but I'll take clean over filth any day thank you.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:00 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,223,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara
I gave away my high-off-the-ground bed frame last November.
Mattress and box springs are now on the floor.
Love it.
I had forgotten how nice it is to not have to jump up to get on the bed.
No vacuuming
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
So...your platform bed frame....do the sides meet the floor completely and keep the dust from rolling underneath?
LOL - you misunderstood.
I have no frame.
It's on the carpeted floor. Like a college student

But you can buy platform frames that are solid with no drawers. I've seen them on IKEA, Amazon, Overstock, etc. My waterbed frame (long ago) was like that. Nothing could get under it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement