U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 02:02 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,267,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
newenglandgirl, meet Roomba!!!!

iRobot Roomba 780 HD - YouTube
I like the youtube videos that have cats riding around on them. Or dogs thinking it's a beast to be barked at
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 02:12 PM

670 posts, read 821,834 times
Default Household Chore Challenges

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
OP, I feel your pain - literally. I have arthritic knees and a repaired rotator cuff that really limit my ability to do housework the way I used to.

I have wood floors in my bedroom, so my bed is easy to move. I push it a half bed width to one side, and use a dust mop to get under that part of the bed, then go around to the other side of the bed, push it a half bed width over, and get the other part of the floor. That way you don't have to stretch your arm at an awkward angle.

A gadget that I found to be really good to clean the tub and walls surrounding it is a scrubby sponge that is attached to a long handle. I think Mr. Clean puts it out. It swivels and makes getting into the corners and up against the wall really easy. No more getting on your knees to clean the tub.
Wow...I could have written your post! I was at the orthopedic doctor last week getting my right knee checked out...a little arthritis starting, but I also have fibromyalgia. When I get down on the floor, it is not easy to get back up. I also am having some problems with one of my shoulders. No more heavy lifting for me. All this started right as I'm about to turn 65. It's like my body is on a clock, and I'm hitting the "wear out the joints" point. I am also caregiver to my 89 year old mother. I think I am at the point where I am going to have to hire some help at least once every couple weeks to do the heaviest work.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:31 PM

19,972 posts, read 18,975,137 times
Before I had what I have now, I would always just use a damp dust mop under the bed. I HATE HATE HATE vacuuming.

What I have now: with a very small house I have to use under the bed storage. It consists of long, low plastic storage bins that roll. Twice a year (spring and fall) I roll them out, open them, and exchange summer clothing for winter or vice versa. At that time, wearing a dust mask, I take a dust cloth and collect any dust that has gathered between the plastic bins or along the wall edge.

That's all I do. I will not vacuum.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:09 PM

9,787 posts, read 7,085,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't know . . . I never think to look, lolololol.

NEG - the swiffer idea is a good one, if you must get under that bed. A Roomba is even better! I can't do such contortions - I have re-injured this shoulder one time too many in the last month and even if I wanted to contort myself to vacuum under any of my various beds, I couldn't.

So I don't.

I used to have a housekeeper every week but I now just have someone come a few times a year to do such things as vacuum under the beds.
We elected not to have carpet in our retirement house- it's all ceramic tile, although we do have some area rugs. I'm like you, out of sight, out of mind, so I don't think of the dust bunnies under the beds very often, and when I do, I run a broom as far under the bed as I can reach when I'm sweeping the floor and shoo them out. What I absolutely cannot do without days of pain anymore is kneel,( torn meniscuses that act up at times) so getting down on my hands and knees to do anything is an excedingly rare event these days. So I use a Shark steam-mop for the floors, and I've become wiping up spots/spills with a rag under one foot- I must admit my foot makes a pretty good mop holder.

Anything that requires reaching up- windows, fans, lights, stuff on the walls I use a ladder, and take Aleve for the inevitable flareup of my left-shoulder bursitis when I do too much of it.

I'm with you, I can't contort well anymore, so any cleaning device with a long handle is my friend!

We've looked at Roombas- but I've always had visions of those chasing and sucking up our little pet birds who sometimes get on the floor to rummage around before we tell them they can't do that.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:12 PM

9,787 posts, read 7,085,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
None under yours, living in the desert? (–:
ROFL, if they're like what I sometimes chase out from under our bed, they look more like they need habitrails and hamster wheels than a dust pan.....

Old 06-27-2014, 03:28 PM

13,353 posts, read 17,875,872 times
Folks you are welcome to laugh - leaf blower! With two cats that turned into my solution. Small handheld with a cartridge. Out come the dust bunnies and cat toys - under the bed, behind the fridge, under sofas, ... Then I can deal with things with the normal vacuum.

I tried Roomba but had one escape from the garage into the drive way and onto the street. A pricey casualty.

Platform bed flush with the floor - we had carpeting in Seattle and somewhat of a penicillin farm in no time:>(

Old 06-27-2014, 04:14 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,278,337 times
OP I can relate to your dilemma. I like to vacuum under my bed every 6 months. The room is small so I can't really move it out far enough(does have wheels) to get under all of it, so I usually get the mattress and box spring on it's side and then I can go in the middle of the frame and vac the carpet. But now since I have so many joint pains the job is overdue. My vacuum doesn't have a floor brush with it so I can't get under there. Stuff does collect under there. I plan on having my son-in-law lift it when they are next in town and also to rotate the mattress. I just can't risk doing harm to this again body!

Old 06-27-2014, 04:44 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,201,499 times
"Son ... robotics ... there is a future in robotics ... "

Old 06-27-2014, 04:58 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,267,749 times
Here ya go! No more dust!
Household chore challenges and strategies as we age-capture.jpg
“Because everything in her home is waterproof, the housewife of 2000 can do her daily cleaning with a hose.”

Old 06-27-2014, 05:04 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,349,546 times
My apologies to the dust allergy sufferers. My heart goes out to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement