U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 05:27 PM

11,978 posts, read 20,471,641 times

Advertisements

I like the idea of Swiffers, but I can't tell you how many we find tossed out -- they are too flimsy, and the bottom plate pads have no give, so if your floor isn't 100% completely level -- you'll easily miss spots. And with small mobility issues you need something a little heartier. If, while trying to get up, you lose balance, that little swiffer stick won't hold up at all.

There are places my vacuum can't get to, and I use a microfiber dust mop. If you want, you can spray it with a little Endust stuff or just use a little water, and mop under the bed. Best thing is, if you chose one that has replaceable and washable pads, you can have a fresh clean pad with every use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 05:55 PM

6,474 posts, read 3,623,246 times
Get rid of the upright vacuum. I haven't owned one of those since my 30s, and I did freelance housekeeping for some years. The cannister vac is lighter and easlier to get under furniture.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,047,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
newenglandgirl, meet Roomba!!!!

iRobot Roomba 780 HD - YouTube

BTW, we get dust AND dog hair. We sweep up the dog hair every day (thank goodness for wooden floors) and vacuum the carpeted areas every week.
Terrific, this may be the answer. There's a bagless model, but does it need filters? Does the recharging up the electric bill?

How does the robot know where to go? Does it do stairs? (most likely not)

Old 06-27-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Get rid of the upright vacuum. I haven't owned one of those since my 30s, and I did freelance housekeeping for some years. The cannister vac is lighter and easlier to get under furniture.
I have a cannister Miele, high end model. It's still a pain to use under beds, couch, etc. You have to get down on your hands and knees to get all the way under things.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:47 PM

1,948 posts, read 2,483,975 times
[quote=Hemlock140;35413647]If you cannot afford a housekeeper to come in once a week and do those chores that you have trouble with, perhaps a younger relative would do it for you, if one lives close? /QUOTE]

No. My first thought. Does not have to be this way.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:53 PM

1,948 posts, read 2,483,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This is one of several household chores that is becoming heinous to me now (the two others being cleaning out the fridge and scrubbing the bathroom floors).
So just don't do them.
I truly understand how we have done such chores proudly our whole livves. But no one will be harmed if we don't do them on schedule & find another way to keep our home space decent. Yes?

Old 06-27-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
So just don't do them.
I truly understand how we have done such chores proudly our whole livves. But no one will be harmed if we don't do them on schedule & find another way to keep our home space decent. Yes?
No, actually. Dust seriously aggravates my respiratory system. It's not pride but health reasons that I keep my home clean and free of dust.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:12 PM

2,713 posts, read 2,292,328 times
newenglandgirl, my neighbors have one of those iRobot vacs, and they are sorta satisfied with it. They said it will get quiet a bit of debris of the floor, but sometimes they have to come behind it and get the big stuff it doesn't get. I bet for your under-the-bed situation it would work perfectly. It doesn't do stairs ( would fall off the edge), and their model takes a bag which has to be cleaned periodically.

They never said that the re-charging impacted their light bill any. Every time I have ever seen them use it, they simply put it on the floor, and turn the switch on, and away it goes! I'll bet Isaac Asimov would be proud!

Old 06-27-2014, 09:18 PM

4,534 posts, read 7,347,068 times
who don't you have your bed on those slider things so that you easily move it around to vacuum? Like you, I am allergic to dust and so put those sliders on when it's time to clean under and behind it. But you could keep them on there permanently if you like.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:25 PM

10,830 posts, read 8,109,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Before anyone rolls their eyes, Iím aware this isnít an earthshaking problem and thereís many more serious ones in life, but this does have to do with a mobility problem thatís not going to get any better soÖ.I would appreciate suggestions on this one thing and also invite talk about other household challenges in regard to aging bones, and how you solved them (or didnít).
I do 30 minutes of yoga 4x a week. That's not much but so far it keeps me strong and flexible enough to handle most chores and tasks involving bending, stooping, and twisting.
It's not a quick or universal fix but it works for me. I was 60+ before I ever attempted yoga, I'm 65 now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement