U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 03:25 PM

20,062 posts, read 19,053,909 times

Advertisements

I still say an old fashioned dust mop, slightly dampened with water will do the trick on the floors. I used one for years and I am highly allergic to dust and dust mites (the live critters that live in the dust.)

As for the beds with the drawers underneath--I already made that mistake one time. Fine, no dust, but you can't get close enough to the bed to make it because you stub your toes on the part of the frame that's on the floor. Unless they are smart enough to recess the base.

I always used the dust mop and a high quality (the kind you have to send away for) air purifier with several kinds of filters (filters that cost a lot of money) but it does your dusting for you. I think Allermed was the brand I had.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:29 PM

9,809 posts, read 7,115,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Love this thread.

My biggest problem about housekeeping as I age is motivation.

As the sands of time trickle away, I question whether wasting precious time vacuuming under the bed makes any sense.

Life is becoming increasingly finite. Why would I waste it dusting, scrubbing toilets, wiping water spots off the faucets...?

About the only way I can work up the steam to clean now is when company is coming.

I probably should hire a housekeeper.
LOL, I can identify!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 03:33 PM

9,809 posts, read 7,115,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
I've often wondered how well the steam mops work; do you find that using it degrades or in any way damages the grout on your tile floors?

And do you have to use a proprietary solution in the steam mop, or could you just fill it with plain water if you wanted to? All the "packaged" solutions (even those Swiffer wet pads) have fragrance added, which I can't use. I have to clean with either a fragrance-free cleaner (like 7th Gen or Berkeley) or a mixture of something like alcohol/water, vinegar/water, peroxide/water, etc.
I don't see that the steam mops harm the grout in any way. I've just used filtered water, no additives in the mop when I clean, figuring that the steam and some elbow grease as needed do a pretty good job. I don't see any directions for my steam mop to add anything to the water, so I haven't done that. But I see where some of the models that came out later than mine do include some cleaning stuff that can be added to the water.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:36 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,069,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As for the beds with the drawers underneath--I already made that mistake one time. Fine, no dust, but you can't get close enough to the bed to make it because you stub your toes on the part of the frame that's on the floor. Unless they are smart enough to recess the base.
Thanks for warning me, strike two against the platform bed with drawers.

The long side of one side of the bed is only wide enough for the partner to get in, due to the configuration of this first-floor bedroom (it was really a den). So no way to move any kind of bed around.

I hate the old fashioned string mops because when you go to shake them out outdoors, you wind up having to pull off a lot of the dust with your hands. I don't want contact.

In case anyone thinks I'm a germaphobe, I'm not. I'll take dirt over dust any day, in fact being barefoot on dirt is a nice thing to do. It's those danged dust-mites.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:35 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,381,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Ani -- my sister who is a germaphobe clean freak -- has the furriest fan blades I've ever seen. Just disgusting.

With our ten cats, and a house that isn't "Queen clean" -- my fan blades are clean.

I should vacuum daily, and if I vacuum daily, I can use my little Ergorapido cordless vac. It's essentially a powerful dustbuster with a handle and a beater brush roll. Literally -- you can take the dustbuster part out and use it separately -- and stick a little brush attachment on it to clean your keyboard and other things.

The Ergorapido does require a little more maintenance than a regular vac. I rinse the dustcup and the interior filter thing practically daily, and once a week or so I clean off the brush roll and the little wheels seem to collect a lot of fur, so I pop those out and clean them off. But the ease of not having a cord to deal with in my small house makes the minute or two I use to maintain that vac worth it.

Back when I was using a regular vac, the cord thing became such an issue I'd vacuum (if we were lucky) monthly.

So between that and the microfiber dustmop my house is getting cleaner all the time. I consider it a work in progress.
Okay - now I am fascinated! I have real problems at this mountain house with vacuuming. Things are so close together - I can hardly get myself between the fridge and kitchen island, much less a vac. The hand held vacs I have gotten over the years (or the "stick" type) never seem to have much suction. So I am going to check out the Ergorapido. I need something lightweight and easy to use in corners, in between furniture, etc.

To be honest, here at this small house, I am a true slacker with getting in between things b/c I simply cannot do it with my cannister vac. And the dog hair really does find its way to all the corners here, lol.

So glad you mentioned the Ergorapido! Thank you for that tip!

Old 06-28-2014, 04:36 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,830,567 times
What is a Swiffer?
What is a steam mop?
Is this thread intended for women only?

As can be imagined, I hate housework and I OD on it very quickly. Only reason to do it: company is coming!

Old 06-28-2014, 04:37 PM

730 posts, read 1,034,974 times
If you happen to like the look (which I do), interior shutters are even easier to clean than blinds or miniblinds. Just wipe with a damp microfiber cloth. I have white ones similar to these but they are also made in a faux wood finish.
Blind Alley - Hunter Douglas Palm Beach Polysatin Shutters Portfolio

I am absolutely not a fan of fabric window treatments of any kind. Not really crazy about cellular shades either, because you can't get them 100% clean like any kind of a wipe-able material. I do have blackout cellulars in my bedroom but the other windows have the interior shutters, except for the kitchen sink window which has a roller shade due to having cabinets on both sides which would prevent shutters from opening "flat" out to the sides.

Thanks for the info on the steam mop, by the way!

Last time I moved, I invested in a new mattress because the one I had was 14 years old and my back was just not happy with it anymore. What I have now is made by Pure Latex Bliss (it is NOT one of those memory foam things, which is a different material altogether) and this is a material that does not harbor dust mites. It's a heavy mattress and does not require turning. Because of the mattress weight, moving the bed is definitely out of the question; so I have an excuse, LOL.

FAQ (the page addy says warranty but it is really the FAQ page and it also has good information about the hypoallergenic properties)

Pure talalay latex mattresses aren't sold in most stores so I was lucky to find a retailer near me so that I could check it out in person first.

ETA: newenglandgirl, the same company also makes pillows (I have one) which have the same natural non-mites properties without having to use one of those special pillow covers which I've always found annoying. The latex is very breathable. Also there are no pressure points with the pillows either. By the way, there is no rubber smell or odor in case anyone was wondering (I was, because I'm a bloodhound ;-) that smells everything and anything; if there was any kind of smell I'd notice it, lol)

Old 06-28-2014, 04:46 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,381,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
For some reason - where I live (not the highest priced spread part of the US) - people charge an arm and a leg to wash windows. Like about $1k for our single story house. And we want them washed twice a year. So this is a chore my husband and I still do. In May when pollen season is over - and November when hurricane/storm season is over. It really isn't hard (we bought a lot of professional window washing stuff years back). Used to be a 1 day 8 hour job - now it's a 3 day job working about 3-4 hours a day (in and out). I think that equipment can make a big difference. Also the nature of one's house (don't know what I'd do with a 2 story house). Robyn
Oh my. I have a two story Georgian with 18th C style double hung windows with all those panes and I cannot imagine paying that much! I do think it is regional, though. But wow . . . $1K.

That is really good that you have found the right equipment and can do it yourselves!!! Two times a year and you have paid for a short cruise, lol.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:14 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,288,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
In case anyone thinks I'm a germaphobe, I'm not. I'll take dirt over dust any day, in fact being barefoot on dirt is a nice thing to do. It's those danged dust-mites.
Entomophobe!

(We have this horrible TV commercial here for a mattress store. I hate it.)

Old 06-28-2014, 06:37 PM

2,482 posts, read 1,704,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Love this thread.

My biggest problem about housekeeping as I age is motivation.

As the sands of time trickle away, I question whether wasting precious time vacuuming under the bed makes any sense.

Life is becoming increasingly finite. Why would I waste it dusting, scrubbing toilets, wiping water spots off the faucets...?

About the only way I can work up the steam to clean now is when company is coming.

I probably should hire a housekeeper.
I feel like I'm in the movie Groundhog Day and I have to keep cleaning until I get it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement