U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:33 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,965,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
...everyone gets bored at times in their lives...
I don't.

I don't even really know what "being bored" means.

I might sit for hours on the beach listening to the seagulls and watching the surf.

Or sit in my chair looking out the window at the rain with a cat on my lap.

Or take a nap.

None of these things are "boring" to me.

They are involving, relaxing, and enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 09:30 AM

1,810 posts, read 3,279,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I don't.

I don't even really know what "being bored" means.

I might sit for hours on the beach listening to the seagulls and watching the surf.

Or sit in my chair looking out the window at the rain with a cat on my lap.

Or take a nap.

None of these things are "boring" to me.

They are involving, relaxing, and enjoyable.
Me, too!

Hard to imagine that some people don't know what to do with themselves if they don't have a job.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:39 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,047,444 times
Me three!

Might have something to do with my mother's response to our childish whine of I'm bored - I'll find you something to do - and it was never good. Her aim was to get us to learn how to entertain ourselves, and we did.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:51 PM

13,313 posts, read 25,542,533 times
I think being less busy somehow seems "unAmerican" or something. I see it as a kind of zen thing- paying attention to the present in all its detail.

Somehow, when I see all the commuters stuck on Route 2 crawling into Boston, talking on their cell phones, applying lipstick, drinking coffee, headed to their fascinating office cubicles, I imagine they are pretty bored. (I am going the other way, against traffic, from a night shift).
Maybe because I work nights and live alone, I'm sort of already destimulated. But I see no value in being busy for its own sake or bragging rights. I do see a lot of that in urban people- "I'm so involved and interesting, I'm so popular." And suburban people, with kids, seem to set life up so they are frazzled and busy with what look like endless boring frenzies that they chose to engage in.

A vote for zen attitude, whether working or retired.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:13 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,848,700 times
Only retired for a little over two weeks but I have noticed that;

When I worked I got bored easily if I had nothing to do.

Now I don't get bored at all as doing nothing enables me to do something that before I considedred boring. Hmmmm back to just looking at the woods at night. Wow!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:23 PM

A lot of the time we use "doing things" as diversions to keep ourselves from doing nothing of value.

Once we realize that the value we receive from that diversion is only an illusion, we can see how valuable and rewarding doing nothing can really be.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,527 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Maybe because I work nights and live alone, I'm sort of already destimulated. ...

A vote for zen attitude, whether working or retired.
yikes... If you are a 'well adjusted shift worker', you may have already been assimilated into an alien culture ! (axe-murders, drug addicts, alcoholics...)

after 28 yrs of shift work myself; enjoying the freedom to make decisions and lack of pesky managers, and jealous co-workers (plus getting extra pay, ez commute, and less interruption) night shift ruined me . (I never could stand working days...who wants to be working inside while the sun is out??). Thus I was very prepared for retirement. I've never been one to need or desire to be told what should to be done. A perfect fit for retirement !, in fact most of my friends during my 28 yrs of 'social suicide' were 'retired'. Who else besides retirees and shift workers, have every day free? I just wish retirement paid as good as night shift... But I don't miss the bother of going to work everyday, and especially am fond of not having annual performance reviews

Old 01-01-2008, 02:20 AM

13,313 posts, read 25,542,533 times
As I post at 4:20am from the not-so-sunny dementia unit where I am working, I say I cannot wait to deal with the "issues" of not working.

I like nights because I am a late-night person anyway- would normally fall asleep at 3a-noon or so. My current job (where I have a good pension) has always insisted on a mix of 7-3/3-11, or straight nights. I cannot stand being at work at 7a, or even before noon. It makes me ill and hungry. Of course, staying up past 3a into the daylight is very difficult physically (one could say "ruinous"). I certainly like dressing like a hobo, not having to have a "game face" on, and avoiding the self-important day people. Hey, it's not a career move, but it's a living.

Back to work. Gotta act like an employee.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:31 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,447,720 times
I am recently retired (August) and I am not bored. (whether I am busy or I am not busy)

Perhaps I should wear a clown mask when I come into contact with people because despite the fact I am never bored, people might assume that I am.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

Perhaps I should wear a clown mask when I come into contact with people...
Wear your own face. If you wear a clown mask you will disappear into the crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or