U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:42 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,910,595 times

Advertisements

They're probably sitting there watching you back as you rush by and saying to themselves "Thank God I can just sit here and enjoy myself as long as I want without having to worry about getting a million things done in the next five minutes".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 01:14 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,492,286 times
Default Welland truly said !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The old saw is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder; it may be that the perceived boredom resides there as well.

And, I would suggest that perhaps the "capable" minds doing the seeing are living lives that are hopelessly busy, busy, busy, busy, busy with a lot of must-dos and gotta-haves that will later seem like they were the pursuits of an idiot.

And they will have been.

I'm seventy-one, retired and I quite frankly see the lives of most younger people as quite pitiable.

Wise words indeed ! Boredom is largely a function of not liking yourself.
Wisdom does come with age, sadly most folks don't let him in.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:06 PM

5,170 posts, read 8,693,102 times
Smile This is what I dread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I think aging can be a terrible thing. We have some retired neighbors who like to go to public places and just sit there. I see them all the time at the Mall, the Library or the park and they are just sitting there. Only one at a time, not together. I suspect they are bored by the expression on their faces and just needed to get out of the house.

They looked like they could have been attractive and successful people in their day, but now life has passed them by. I picture them in a busy office or eating at a restaurant with tons of friends years ago on top of the world, but now they are all alone.

I suspect this is the reality with many retired people today.
I dread this and hope it doesn't happen to me. It literally scares the heck out of me. One day in the house and I'm anxious to get out and be productive in some, small way. Even seeing others helps.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:30 PM

15,891 posts, read 15,295,810 times
I've been retired for 2 years and it is absolutely wonderful. I don't know where the time goes. I make it a point to go out with my friends no less than 2 times a week. I drive 120 miles round trip once a week to visit my mother in an assisted living arrangement. I also take her to her medical appointments and then we go out to eat.

I'm really a homebody. I read a lot, I'm online a lot and I work in my yard. Plus I have to keep the pool in good shape which is no easy task but it keeps me in shape.

The thing is, and this is the truth, I have never been bored in my life with the exception of a couple of movies I sat through that were very boring.

I have so many things that I enjoy doing that there is no time to be bored. Many of those things involve being alone. I think that people who enjoy their own company are the luckiest folks on the planet.

I really never see any senior citizens who seem to be bored. If they are sitting alone they probably enjoy just being. That's way cool....to enjoy being.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:38 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,376,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
If they are sitting alone they probably enjoy just being. That's way cool....to enjoy being.
Ah yes, a human being instead of a human doing.

My father flunked retirement. He had a very busy computer engineering career that included world travel. He & mom moved to Florida, but just didn't feel that life on the golf course was very fulfilling. He's had several post-retirement jobs over the past dozen years and loved it. He's now driving a school bus and says the kids brighten up his day.

I'm taking mental notes along the way; this is how to do 'retirement.'

Old 10-02-2009, 04:14 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,479,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I dread this and hope it doesn't happen to me. It literally scares the heck out of me. One day in the house and I'm anxious to get out and be productive in some, small way. Even seeing others helps.
That will likely change. I'm in my 60s, retired last year and thoroughly enjoy having few demands upon my time other than sharing in the household duties. My wife and I have the means and the time to go, see, do, and those are satisfying. But so, too, is peace, quiet, tranquility and the realization that in the end, merely waking up with pulse and respiration is indeed a blessing and something to revel in and appreciate at the start of every day.

Do we tend to confront our mortality as we age? Of course we do unless we're in complete denial. But many of us have a lot of good to look back to; pleasant memories, some not so good, triumphs and defeats, loves lost and found. In other words, we've lived life. It happens!

Mine has included two marriages, raising five children, living in eight states and three other countries, being a cowboy, a soldier, a cop and finally retiring as a senior manager and administrator. My wife was a practicing midwife who delivered hundreds of babies in homes and a birthing center (a noteworthy achievement in itself) before she entered the world of politics and made a difference in the lives of millions, as did I in my last incarnation, also in the political arena.

There is a lot to be said for youth, health, vitality and the promise of many years in which to decide upon and achieve your dreams, or change them and begin anew. Conversely, there is also a lot to be said for settling in, relaxing, and simply enjoying being alive with sustaining memories.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:27 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
No matter how fast you run , you'll still be with you wherever you go.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:42 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times
Its alot better than so many working people that sit infront of the TV;computer or gaming electronics when not wokring.I thnik mnay for the first time have time to go and sit at the mall etc because they are out of the rat race of yurry and get the shopping done. Its called relaxing without stress.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:59 AM

3,944 posts, read 3,262,187 times
I have been retired for two years, I still laugh every morning in the shower,(around ten o clock), thinking that this is so unreal, having unlimited time and a few bucks to enjoy life. I know plenty of people who will struggle in this new situation that is true freedom, few have built up any solo hobbies to occupy their day, I play guitar, get out in the boonies for photography, do a little work in the house, go to music events on the weekend, travel locally, fraternize with folk's in local coffee shops, enjoy my grandchildren, learn new things in community college, I'm not sitting in the malls with nothing to do.

However, a lot of folk's are not preparing now for their eventual retirement, it's just a great time to expand on an already satisfying life. Too many people are being defined by their work, that said, we'll just have to have more community to include those who are in the malls, I've been getting together a few golf clubs to get back into the game, I'm hoping to meet other old fogies who are into killing time laughing and talking, having fun, and letting the days slip by.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:09 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times
"Suspect" they are bored? Maybe they are doing what they have always planned to do; sit still and relax when they no longer had to participate in the rat race.

"They looked like they could have been attractive and successful people......" How can one tell just by occasional observation? Maybe they have friends with whom they socialize while the OP is not looking?

There are some pretty sweeping assumptions being made by the OP here. I hope he doesn't see me when I retire. I will be sitting on a bench watching others live the hectic life I lived before retirement and enjoying every minute of my inertia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or