U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 10:21 AM

419 posts, read 1,846,237 times

Advertisements

I think aging can be a terrible thing. We have some retired neighbors who like to go to public places and just sit there. I see them all the time at the Mall, the Library or the park and they are just sitting there. Only one at a time, not together. I suspect they are bored by the expression on their faces and just needed to get out of the house.

They looked like they could have been attractive and successful people in their day, but now life has passed them by. I picture them in a busy office or eating at a restaurant with tons of friends years ago on top of the world, but now they are all alone.

I suspect this is the reality with many retired people today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 10:27 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,050,067 times
I think you see them because only the ones that have nothing to do are doing that sort of thing. Most of the people I know who have retired are busy doing things they enjoy and don't have the time or desire to sit on bench and watch the world pass them by. I keep hearing the same sentence: "I don't know how I ever had time to work, I'm so busy all the time!"

As always, your life is what you make of it. When retired, you have no one but yourself to blame for it.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:33 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,970,317 times
I used to enjoy sitting quietly by myself at the zoo and watching the monkeys at play.

Then I discovered I could do the same thing at the mall.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:05 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,281,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I think aging can be a terrible thing. We have some retired neighbors who like to go to public places and just sit there. I see them all the time at the Mall, the Library or the park and they are just sitting there. Only one at a time, not together. I suspect they are bored by the expression on their faces and just needed to get out of the house.

They looked like they could have been attractive and successful people in their day, but now life has passed them by. I picture them in a busy office or eating at a restaurant with tons of friends years ago on top of the world, but now they are all alone.

It's possible that they just like to get out of the house, to sit on a park bench and enjoy the fresh air. Maybe they're not in good enough health or physical condition anymore to be involved in more strenuous recreation.

Life's gonna pass us all by. We're all gonna get older and less attractive. I'd rather be sitting on a park bench than sitting in a busy office any day, no matter what my age.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:46 PM

7,099 posts, read 24,493,926 times
These are the same people that had no interests or friends when they were working. What you see is the personality of the Loner. When they no longer have work, they do what they used to do with their spare time, nothing. A lot of people like to sit and think.

It's seems sad, but it could be that they are as content and happy as they ever were.

I am not a "People Person" and I could easily sit and watch people at the Mall for hours. Except, that would mean that I had to dress in something except the house and yard clothes. Nope, I'll read.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,556 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
doubt it...

We work with a lot of seniors (some have been retired for 30+ yrs). I know of very, very few who have been bored in retirement, usually only in a case of having no hobbies or a distasteful outlook on life. Generally folks are quite content and engaged as possible... which means some go to the mall and sit, but are not bored. I was so grateful for a mall where my dad could safely go and walk / sit / enjoy people during my 30 + yrs of elder care for him. Life is not always what we "see" from a "capable" mindset.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:07 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,821,439 times
LOL, I spend plenty of time just sitting, too. When they weather is nice, I like to just sit outside and simply "be" in the world. It is not depressing at all. Perhaps I do not always have a sh*t-eating grin on my face, but that doesn't mean I'm unhappy. People who always have such a grin are usually stoned.

Like I said, sometimes I sit outside. Other times I sit at the computer and while away a few hours reading city-data. Sitting at a computer is really not that different from sitting on a bench, you know. But I'm old. I need to slow down and I've accomplished the things I want to accomplish. What's your excuse?

Why are you wsasting so much time on a chat room--and wasting time looking at some guy sitting on a bench?

Get back to work! Accomplish something!

Old 12-18-2007, 04:35 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,795,766 times
I see plenty of older people at the mall (and I assume they're retired) but ...

They're all visting and having lunch with their friends. They don't look aimless and bored to me.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:15 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,909,157 times
Actually I find your OP rather insulting to those who seek some outside recreation, albeit in a mall, library or elsewhere.

Folks do what they can do regardless of their station in life, or retirement status.

And I suspect that many, perhaps even including you, may find it pleasureable to get a little fresh air, read a book, or stroll through a museum or garden on a bright sunny day without judgment.

Quote:

Old 12-18-2007, 09:21 AM

34,682 posts, read 33,681,492 times
Quote:

It all depends how you measure success and whether being attractive is such a big deal to you so that you feel like you are losing something that important to you.

Did you picture them as a young couple in the rat race with a demanding boss, sitting in traffic during rush hour while they wait for some accident to clear or working until some ungodly hour and eating microwaved TV dinners at 9PM at night, 4 - 5 days per week while they wait for their juvenile delinquent teenager to finish rehab for the third time? Sitting and watching may be one of their most pleasurable pasttimes in life.

P.S. Ever dragged your spouse to the mall while you shop so he could become one of the bored young to middle-aged male people watchers I used to see at the mall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or