U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:05 AM

338 posts, read 625,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Enjoying John Sanford, just read Fields of Prey and now on Rules of Prey. Last week I read:Alas,Babylon and One Second After, very thought provoking. And Dorothy Parker:What Fresh Hell.On a real reading binge
I love John Sanford's Prey series, mostly because Lucas Davenport, the central character, changes and grows throughout the series.

Our library just had a talk and reading by a local author - Kalyan Ray - the book is called No Country. It's a novel, but based on the Irish potato famine. It spans 4 generations moving from Ireland, India and America. His talk about the research he did was so interesting that I bought the book. Haven't started it yet, but hope it lives up to his talk. Leaving for Cape Cod next week and am saving it for the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 12:37 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Nice thread, Robyn. I'm enjoying reading it.

My summer reading, at the moment, is the Best American Short Stories series 2013 and series 2014. Also the plays of Tennessee Williams and the excellent films made based on them. Right now I'm rereading his Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, an outstanding character study, along with re-seeing its film version with Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor, and the even better one with Jessica Lange and Tommy Lee Jones. One has to be a truly great actor to do movies based on plays.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:15 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Enjoying John Sanford, just read Fields of Prey and now on Rules of Prey. Last week I read:Alas,Babylon and One Second After, very thought provoking. And Dorothy Parker:What Fresh Hell.On a real reading binge
I'm also a Sanford fan. I'm reading James Patterson, the Michael Bennett series. Bad habit - it keeps me up way too late.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:51 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,920,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
...I'm plodding through Elizabeth's Strout's The Burgess Boys. I enjoyed her other books because she paints such intimate portraits of her characters. I guess it helps with me that her books take place in Maine...
I hate to plod through books. I like to skip through them . My husband recommended that I read The Woman In White (he's into all this 19th century stuff - not sure why). And it was indeed a plodder. It's old - and writers were probably paid by the word/page then. So it was loaded with tons of (IMO) unnecessary adjectives and adverbs. I love great fast moving stories the best. Robyn

Old 06-30-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
My wife reads like crazy. She has nine books on her Kindle to be read and already has several hundred on there read. She orders and Keeps about 8-10 in reserve. She doesn't read on the beach because of glare but loves to read on the porch here there and anywhere in between. She use to go to the library every week or so until getting a Kindle a few years ago. Folks who are avid readers before retirement might want to consider how the additional time in retirement will play in their book budget.
I actually don't read on the beach either - because I've had skin cancers and now fear I have another (biopsy should be back this week). It was kind of a summer metaphor. Robyn

Old 06-30-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
...Right now I'm rereading his Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, an outstanding character study, along with re-seeing its film version with Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor, and the even better one with Jessica Lange and Tommy Lee Jones. One has to be a truly great actor to do movies based on plays.
Elizabeth Taylor did more than one of those great plays on the "big screen". Like Who's Afraid Of Virginia Wolfe. An absolute classic.

Guess maybe we should add movies to books here.

Note that one thing that POs me is I spent some time over the winter wiring up our TVs for internet TV. But whether I look at Comcast (for which I pay a large monthly fortune) or Amazon Prime (a relative pittance) - almost none of the really good movies is free with my subscriptions. Robyn

Old 06-30-2014, 07:01 PM

16,334 posts, read 10,327,920 times
Those who like John Sandford (as I do, but more his Virgil Flowers character) might also like Robert Parker's Spenser novels and/or Jesse Stone novels.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:19 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,225,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
My favorite Outlander. It is a series of 9 books now by Diana Gabaldon. I actually listen rather then read (books on tape) but that is my recommendation. If you start the books you will not want to stop.
I gave Outlander to a friend at work (back when I was working). She came in the next day and said "I read about 20 pages, can't get into it, guess I wasn't in the mood."

I asked her to give it another try. I told her to read it "until the part where the stones scream, it's around page 50." This was a Friday.

She met me at the door Monday, looking horrible with red eyes. "It's all your fault I didn't sleep! WHERE'S BOOK 2???"

Old 07-01-2014, 05:06 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm plodding through Elizabeth's Strout's The Burgess Boys. I enjoyed her other books because she paints such intimate portraits of her characters. I guess it helps with me that her books take place in Maine.
We are both fans of Elizabeth Strout. I loved her novel Olive Kittredge and will probably reread it this summer. Generally I'm not a novel reader (it has to be darned good at the start for me to stay with it, and a lot of novels start great and lose their flavor before long). If I like a novel I reread it.

I just got Waiting by the author Ha Jin. It's fine writing (won the PEN/Faulkner Award) and a page-turner. Waiting by Ha Jin

Last edited by RiverBird; 07-01-2014 at 05:19 AM..

Old 07-01-2014, 06:08 AM

688 posts, read 863,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
We are both fans of Elizabeth Strout. I loved her novel Olive Kittredge and will probably reread it this summer. Generally I'm not a novel reader (it has to be darned good at the start for me to stay with it, and a lot of novels start great and lose their flavor before long). If I like a novel I reread it.

I just got Waiting by the author Ha Jin. It's fine writing (won the PEN/Faulkner Award) and a page-turner. Waiting by Ha Jin

i ,too, am a fan of elizabeth strout, and no, i don't often like fiction. i loved "olive kittredge" and liked, very much, "the burgess boys". i think there is a middle novel she wrote although i can't remember the title. it's again set in new england, and about a young minister, with two small children, who is trying to come to terms with his wife's death. it was good but not the quality of the other two.

if i read fiction it is often english mysteries- elizabeth george, p.d. james, deborah crombie, martha grimes. there is a new grimes out, "vertigo 42" which i liked a lot- better than some of her others in the last few years. i also discovered last summer, cynthia herod eagles- bill slider mysteries. i've enjoyed most of these.

catsy girl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or