U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:41 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,255,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Have you been over to the CD Book Forum? Lots and lots of non-senior-type people over there. And lots of recommendations. Some like fluff, some like classics only, and some like books that would make my brain hurt.

I d/l 1 to 2 freebies a day to my Kindle. About 30% have been worth what I paid for them, LOL

I'm currently re-reading Island in the Sea of Time by Stirling. The island of Nantucket is transported back to 1250 BC by a mysterious "Event".
Love Stirling, I read and reread everything he writes. The Peshawar Lancers is my favorite, which he'd write a sequel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 12:45 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,255,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
Originally I promised myself this would be the summer I made it through "On the Road", but since we'll be in Maine pretty soon I saw a book series by Paul Doiron that features a former game warden turned detective set in Maine . . . so I ordered the first 2 books in the series from my local library. The first is called " The Poacher's Son". I'm a fan of Archer Mayor's mysteries set in Vermont so I'm hoping the Doiron books will be as good.
I like Doiron's books very much. Have you read CJ Box, similar but in Wyoming, better I think.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:54 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,997,544 times
The Art of Hearing Heartbeats was recommended to me but I couldn't get into it. If I start yawning within the first chapter I bring the book back or give it away. I read "real" books, not e-books.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:21 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,997,544 times
I heard the broadcast of a presentation by Leveritt and Dubner from the Commonwealth Club of California today. I'm going to get this book and see what it's about:

http://www.amazon.com/Freakonomics-E...t+freakonomics

The duo also authored Think Like a Freak: The Authors of Freakonomics Offer to Retrain Your Brain (always an interesting subject to me).

Dubner has a whacky but somewhat fascinating podcast on "The Upside of Quitting," which may be of interest to those mulling over early retirement or retiring soon. Good late-night listening (click on the arrow to hear the audio):

Freakonomics The Upside of Quitting

Old 07-09-2014, 06:50 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,759,876 times
I read mostly non-fiction - fiction sometimes, but only occasionally. I am always part-way through some book or other, sometimes more than one at once.

Currently I am reading The Great War and Modern Memory by Paul Fussell (1977). It is about how World War I shaped modern thought and literature. It is not a military history, but contains a lot of information about the nature of the horrible fighting involved in the trench warfare of that conflict.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:57 AM

6,866 posts, read 7,817,078 times
Just finished an amazing book, The Book Thief, recommended to me by resident at the nursing home where I volunteer. It's a book with a lot of heart about a 12-year-old girl in Nazi Germany during World War II and the relationships she forms. It was one of those books that I hated to see end because it was such a good read. Now reading a book called The Son by Phillip Meyer. It's a family saga spanning several generations in Texas. Also, can highly recommend The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt - it won the Pulitzer this year. It's just an amazing story of fascinating characters experiencing twists and turns you never expected. A great read at 700+ pages.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:25 AM

338 posts, read 625,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Just finished an amazing book, The Book Thief, recommended to me by resident at the nursing home where I volunteer. It's a book with a lot of heart about a 12-year-old girl in Nazi Germany during World War II and the relationships she forms. It was one of those books that I hated to see end because it was such a good read. Now reading a book called The Son by Phillip Meyer. It's a family saga spanning several generations in Texas. Also, can highly recommend The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt - it won the Pulitzer this year. It's just an amazing story of fascinating characters experiencing twists and turns you never expected. A great read at 700+ pages.
We must have similar tastes in books - The Book Thief and The Goldfinch are on my list to read. If you like Phillip Meyer, read his first book "American Rust." Loved it.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:31 AM

3,746 posts, read 4,223,779 times
Although I wouldn't presume to classify this as beach reading, I am ready to dig into Thomas Piketty's "Capital in the Twenty-First Century". I figure if I really want to read it (and I do) it's better to read it during the sunny days of summer than the dark and gloomy days of winter.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:53 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,245,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Also, can highly recommend The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt - it won the Pulitzer this year. It's just an amazing story of fascinating characters experiencing twists and turns you never expected. A great read at 700+ pages.
Ha. And I can't understand all the hoopla over this book.
Extremely wordy. Repetitive description. Needed a slasher as an editor.

Thank goodness we all like different books

Old 07-10-2014, 10:27 AM

6,866 posts, read 7,817,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Ha. And I can't understand all the hoopla over this book.
Extremely wordy. Repetitive description. Needed a slasher as an editor.

Thank goodness we all like different books
Agree it could have used an editor. Still a fascinating read IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or