U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 05:05 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,960,476 times

Advertisements

What do you like? It's probably very eclectic.

In the last 2 weeks - I've read Ruth Reichl's first novel:

Delicious!: A Novel: Ruth Reichl: 9781400069620: Amazon.com: Books

And The Giver:

The Giver: Lois Lowry: 9780440237686: Amazon.com: Books

The former was a new delightful piece of "beach fluff". And the latter a somewhat older disturbing piece of adolescent dystopian fiction (I'm a fan of dystopian fiction and read this particular book when I found it had been banned in many schools - although I can't for the life of me figure out why).

I don't think that younger people read the way many of us older people do these days. Although I hope I'm wrong about that. Reading is our entry point into so much of the world. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 05:14 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,194,849 times
If you are a Beatles fan and a music buff check out Yeah, Yeah, Yeah The Beatles in America. It's a look at why the Beatles made the big American impact and music in general. It also goes into the social aspects of America in the early sixties and the changes to come. It's only about 100 pages.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:25 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,251,822 times
Quote:
I don't think that younger people read the way many of us older people do these days. Although I hope I'm wrong about that.
Have you been over to the CD Book Forum? Lots and lots of non-senior-type people over there. And lots of recommendations. Some like fluff, some like classics only, and some like books that would make my brain hurt.

I d/l 1 to 2 freebies a day to my Kindle. About 30% have been worth what I paid for them, LOL

I'm currently re-reading Island in the Sea of Time by Stirling. The island of Nantucket is transported back to 1250 BC by a mysterious "Event".

Old 06-29-2014, 05:26 PM

19,917 posts, read 18,928,736 times
The Giver was banned????? As a former school librarian, that piques my interest. It always used to win awards and recommendations but I did not like that book. You don't give pieces of yourself away--yuck. I would never ban it but I never thought it deserved the mountains of praise it received.

I'm plodding through Elizabeth's Strout's The Burgess Boys. I enjoyed her other books because she paints such intimate portraits of her characters. I guess it helps with me that her books take place in Maine.

Well, this book fails to develop the characters that well and it's only in Maine half the time. She's trying to make a social statement in this book and I think at the end, she will have made it. So far though, it's pretty dullsville.

For any women who like stories set in a different time and place and a little bit of a mystery intertwined with generational traditions and traits, try Kate Morton. I wish she'd hurry up and write another book!! She's a young Australian writer and her stories --how can I describe them? They grab you and hold you. The people are real and maybe the stories are a tiny bit far fetched at times, maybe not. Her style is flashbacks--which I normally hate, Oh no--but she makes it riveting. I still miss one of the characters in the first book of hers that I ever read--I can't believe the book ended and he is not real.

This sounds like it will be an interesting thread.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:52 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,960,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The Giver was banned????? As a former school librarian, that piques my interest. It always used to win awards and recommendations but I did not like that book. You don't give pieces of yourself away--yuck. I would never ban it but I never thought it deserved the mountains of praise it received.

I'm plodding through Elizabeth's Strout's The Burgess Boys. I enjoyed her other books because she paints such intimate portraits of her characters. I guess it helps with me that her books take place in Maine.

Well, this book fails to develop the characters that well and it's only in Maine half the time. She's trying to make a social statement in this book and I think at the end, she will have made it. So far though, it's pretty dullsville.

For any women who like stories set in a different time and place and a little bit of a mystery intertwined with generational traditions and traits, try Kate Morton. I wish she'd hurry up and write another book!! She's a young Australian writer and her stories --how can I describe them? They grab you and hold you. The people are real and maybe the stories are a tiny bit far fetched at times, maybe not. Her style is flashbacks--which I normally hate, Oh no--but she makes it riveting. I still miss one of the characters in the first book of hers that I ever read--I can't believe the book ended and he is not real.

This sounds like it will be an interesting thread.
I read about The Giver in a WSJ article that said it's coming out as a movie (later this summer) - and that it was a dystopian piece of young adult fiction that had been banned in various places:

Banned Books Awareness: The Giver by Lois Lowry | Banned Books Awareness

A natural for me . Robyn

Old 06-29-2014, 06:46 PM

16,390 posts, read 10,371,940 times
I've started the Last Dragon series by Chris D'Lacey.

Meant for younger readers (12-14?) but I rather enjoy them.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:49 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,860,228 times
My favorite Outlander. It is a series of 9 books now by Diana Gabaldon. I actually listen rather then read (books on tape) but that is my recommendation. If you start the books you will not want to stop.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:32 PM

720 posts, read 1,487,404 times
Enjoying John Sanford, just read Fields of Prey and now on Rules of Prey. Last week I read:Alas,Babylon and One Second After, very thought provoking. And Dorothy Parker:What Fresh Hell.On a real reading binge

Old 06-30-2014, 07:20 AM

29,837 posts, read 34,924,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
What do you like? It's probably very eclectic.

In the last 2 weeks - I've read Ruth Reichl's first novel:

Delicious!: A Novel: Ruth Reichl: 9781400069620: Amazon.com: Books

And The Giver:

The Giver: Lois Lowry: 9780440237686: Amazon.com: Books

The former was a new delightful piece of "beach fluff". And the latter a somewhat older disturbing piece of adolescent dystopian fiction (I'm a fan of dystopian fiction and read this particular book when I found it had been banned in many schools - although I can't for the life of me figure out why).

I don't think that younger people read the way many of us older people do these days. Although I hope I'm wrong about that. Reading is our entry point into so much of the world. Robyn
My wife reads like crazy. She has nine books on her Kindle to be read and already has several hundred on there read. She orders and Keeps about 8-10 in reserve. She doesn't read on the beach because of glare but loves to read on the porch here there and anywhere in between. She use to go to the library every week or so until getting a Kindle a few years ago. Folks who are avid readers before retirement might want to consider how the additional time in retirement will play in their book budget.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:49 AM

19,917 posts, read 18,928,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I read about The Giver in a WSJ article that said it's coming out as a movie (later this summer) - and that it was a dystopian piece of young adult fiction that had been banned in various places:

Banned Books Awareness: The Giver by Lois Lowry | Banned Books Awareness

A natural for me . Robyn
OH!! The Giver. I was thinking of the little kids' book, The Giving Tree. The Giver is supposed to be really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or