U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 02:55 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Ugh, I've had trading accounts for a few years so DH could play the penny stocks. When Dad passed she sent me all of her statements, which I diligently read all of the prospectuses on.

She's no dummy and not feeble. I don't think she's going to liquidate and then reinvest, at least I hope not. I told her to set aside a grand, an amount she was willing to lose, and start researching mutuals.

We shall see.............

Many thanks to you, mathjak, and all of the wise investors out there. I am your student.
I found over the years that the best wisdom is collective. We should all say TY and Welcome as questions often help us learn as much as answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 03:10 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,304,137 times
A big yep to that. Advisors and publications can be helpful, but unless you're down, dirty and doing it it's pretty much speculation.

Anyone subscribe to any e-newsletters? I get a few from Wealth Management, I think that's the name, which is a daily for actual financial advisors. It's a big tell on how they woo customers, climb the ladder at the firm, etc.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:32 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,144,092 times
Early 50something here. We are getting rid of stuff (especially old mags) 15 - 20 years out. Regarding furniture, that will not be a problem, since we largely still have our light weight self assembled college / new grad stuff from the 1980s - how retro. It was a really big deal for us getting a real bed, a proper couch and a love seat. That's all she wrote.

That's one of the great things about being Xers, most of us never reached a certain point of largesse. So we don't have as far to fall later.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
A big yep to that. Advisors and publications can be helpful, but unless you're down, dirty and doing it it's pretty much speculation.

Anyone subscribe to any e-newsletters? I get a few from Wealth Management, I think that's the name, which is a daily for actual financial advisors. It's a big tell on how they woo customers, climb the ladder at the firm, etc.
A number here subscribe to a Fidelity Monitor/insight which has great model portfolios. MathJak will be happy to chime in. I subscribe to that along with Money, a Consumers financial monthly.mdidvsubscribe to Kiplingers. There are some great forums out there.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:45 AM

71,593 posts, read 71,751,865 times
i have been using fidelity insight for more than 25 years with good results. keeps me well discplined and also keeps me from myself . i am always thinking about my next move or i can do better timing things. ha ha ha

Old 07-03-2014, 07:38 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,848,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
A number here subscribe to a Fidelity Monitor/insight which has great model portfolios. MathJak will be happy to chime in. I subscribe to that along with Money, a Consumers financial monthly.mdidvsubscribe to Kiplingers. There are some great forums out there.
Yes but none of them have the combination we have here. This forum for all it's worth has an awesome mixture of experience coupled with plain speech. Some of the others like boggle are good if you can filter and translate the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i have been using fidelity insight for more than 25 years with good results. keeps me well discplined and also keeps me from myself . i am always thinking about my next move or i can do better timing things. ha ha ha

Now that is funny MJ being disciplined.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Yes but none of them have the combination we have here. This forum for all it's worth has an awesome mixture of experience coupled with plain speech. Some of the others like boggle are good if you can filter and translate the information.

Now that is funny MJ being disciplined.
He is verrrrry disciplined and exemplary as such . He just has a lot of money in different pools . You will be there to what ever degree sooner than you think

Old 07-03-2014, 11:57 AM

400 posts, read 647,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
OMG have you ever got that right! I have writings some of which has been published (who cares?) and tons of longhand never put on the computer. Keep ("some day the New Yorker will want this" LOL LOL) or toss? Toss. Artwork I'll never frame. ("some day after I'm gone one of my kids will do a retrospective exhibit, LOL LOL). Toss. But it's so hard, this is my little "identity." But I can say that the more I toss, the better I feel . . . Your post makes me want to purge even more. But boy is it a lot of concentrated work to purge and reorganize a lifetime of stuff.
So true. Purging is draining, even though, in my unsentimental brother's words, it is all just stuff. I started purging a few years before I retired (at the end of January of this year) and moved, and I continue to purge now. Recently I got rid of two decades of Sun magazines; this week it's 27 years of a literary magazine and some hooked rugs my mom made; next, a collection of about 200 of my dad's art books. Endless. *sigh* And I haven't even started on the computer files yet!

The original poster had some good ideas. Practicing to live on a smaller budget is one, even if it turns out you won't end up on a smaller budget in retirement. It's good practice to budget, period. You learn what you want and what you need in life, and how to plan for those things.

Five years or so before I retired, because of some great posts I read here in this forum, I started keeping a spreadsheet of my expenses and learning about my own spending and saving patterns. This in my mind has been the most valuable skill I picked up pre-retirement.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:18 PM

71,593 posts, read 71,751,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
He is verrrrry disciplined and exemplary as such . He just has a lot of money in different pools . You will be there to what ever degree sooner than you think
before i followed the newsletter i was always 2nd guessing myself or thinking i knew better. tried timing things over the years ,got some right got some wrong. all in all the newsletter calls the shots and i follow. no more thinking about my next move.

my portfolio gets 30 seconds attention a week. thats it.....

Old 07-04-2014, 11:55 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,304,137 times
Wow, mj, I'm convinced. I don't want to be worrying about it 24/7........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or