Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 09:25 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,989,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i have been using fidelity insight for more than 25 years with good results. keeps me well discplined and also keeps me from myself . i am always thinking about my next move or i can do better timing things. ha ha ha
I'm assuming you have to have your $$ with Fidelity to use this?? I am now with Schwab - perhaps I should rethink this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 02:09 AM

105,972 posts, read 107,921,072 times
yes , they only use fidelity funds.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:54 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,711,309 times
You don't have to have your money there to subscribe, but they only research Fidelity products.

'A year's membership gives you access to all these features for just $149. That's under $14 a month, probably less than you spend on coffee for a week!
But even better, as a new member, we'll give you 3 additional months absolutely free. That's 15 months for just $149 ... or less than $10 per month.'

Fidelity Insight -- About Us -- Welcome

Old 07-05-2014, 06:08 AM

105,972 posts, read 107,921,072 times
at times i saw specials for 99 bucks. i like them , not so much because they have some insight in to the future but because investing couldn't be easier , yet it is dynamic as funds are adjusted over time to fit the big picture better.

i find i am a tinkerer at heart. i would spend far to much time screwing with things , trying to time things or weight things the way i see them.

then i would 2nd guess myself.

this takes all the pressure of making the next move off of us and quite frankly for 25 years i like it that way.

being i am retiring i have toned things down and while i was always in the growth model during my aggressive years i now have 2/3's in the income and capital preservation model and 1/3 in the growth and income model.

overall i am 40% in equities between the 2. the bond funds run from short term ,through high yield right into global and special situation so it is a nice mix of stuff.

the big advantage is they know fidelity funds right up to the minute. it is their job to know. so while you can buy a bunch of fidelity funds on your own you can have so much overlap in holdings that it can be silly.

the portfolios are all put together with the funds current holdings in mind and there is little if any overlap in holdings usually. on my own i do not have access to that stuff, the posted data on sites like morningstar is older info and may no longer be current holdings.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:52 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,251,846 times
For those who may be procrastinating about selling/donating their excess household goods, here's a wakeup call:
Why the Market for Heirloom and Secondhand Furniture Has Disappeared - WSJ

And it's only going to get worse as the younger Baby Boomers move into the downsizing mode.

I was a Blenko Glass collector for many years. I have 100+ pieces, which are now just a pain to dust! And the prices on eBay just keep declining . . .

Old 07-06-2014, 09:03 AM

I feel you, poco. Selling off my Fenton at fire sale prices. I don't care, I loved it and enoyed it for 20+ years, let someone else love it now.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:30 AM

307 posts, read 558,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I practiced the 'lower' income budgeting five years prior to retiring. Had a general idea of what my s/s check would be and lived accordingly. Not only did that prevent the 'lower income shock' when I did retire, it afforded the opportunity to save more each month. Plus, by the time I retired I was completely debt free.

One other thing that worked for me: around the time that the stock market was being very 'bearish' and I started noticing drops in my 401k balance, I transferred a large amount into a high yield CD and a high interest return savings account.

Not being materialistic, not a clothes-addict, and very content if I don't take extravagant vacations every year, it was easy for me to cut back on spending and even to this day I have never felt I was sacrificing anything by being very frugal.

It's all relative since we're all unique....what works, is what works for each of us.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Katie45: You apparently have that wisdom to see through the maze of unnecessary materialism we're confronted with 24/7...and take the right steps to minimize the stress associated with retirement. Good for you! Not really hard to do...one just have to take a stand and do what is right.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:53 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,308,185 times
All the Millies with no money are in search of household items however they can get them. Old items and antiques are no problem, anything will do. This is not encouraging for collectables pricing although it does allow people to get at least some cash out of their sales.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:06 AM

Nah, the millenials are too lazy to learn a skill like buying and selling collectibles for the most part. Nobody is spending, it's a buyer's market, and most people are digging in for the next decade of austerity. This is only the beginning.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:47 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,262,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStraight View Post
Seems that no matter the subject of retirement leads to...it always seems to get hung on the question "will there be enough to retire on?" The lifestyle one follows or pursues upon retiring is not important or matter much...ultimately, the one retiring decides how he/she will spend the rest of his/her life. I know some simple approaches before retiring. And these ideas are not mine at all...I learned them from others...and I am sure some of you know more ways than I do. You won't get rich but it might help ease the ever increasing cost of everything down the road. Sure, save money. Easier said than done. But try anyway, I'm sure it will help you later when you retire....provided the ever increasing cost of living hasn't gobbled up the money you've been saving all along.

At least five years before retiring...start:

1. Downsizing what you own or have in your household. This is probably the most difficult part of the preparation..and likely take the longest to accomplish. We all get emotionally attached to things we own and had for a long time; mementos, old books, magazines, tools, heavy furnitures, things we needed and used at one time...but had put aside and not used or even seen for a number years. Specially heavy items like old furnitures and equipment. As we get older...although we usually do not accept our gradually diminishing strengths, it will happen. Believe me, will. There will come a time when you won't be able to move heavy objects anymore like you used to. I know, I am still lugging around (everytime we move) several boxes of old National Geographic magazines that go back to the early 1900s...up to this month's issue. Each box weighs about 45 pounds. Each time that I move those boxes around...they seem to get heavier. I'm sure, in no time, I won't be able to lift them anymore. Then what? I'd probably have to hire someone to move them for me. Money wasted. Yes, I'll get rid of them...I promise. This week. Later, in our late 70s or 80s...we won't be able to move that heavy couch or table anymore. We usually end up paying a handy person to move them for us. More money wasted. Get rid of them while you are still strong enough to move them out...load them on a truck and get rid of them. Or sell them...to someone who will haul it away for you. Sell it cheap. Because, later, if you don't, and find yourself having to move to a smaller place (because a big house is so much work...and costly), it will be much harder to get rid of them. Or you'll end up putting them in one of those mini-storage units. Add that to the cost. For how long? I once stored furnitures and a couple of appliances and some boxes in a storage unit for almost a year! When I finally sold what was stored in them...the total amount I got didn't even come to half of what it cost me for the year to rent the unit. Still storing some of your kids' stuff? Call them and tell them..."I've been storing your baby stroller or a kitchen table, ten boxes of your kids' toys (which they have outgrown)..or whatever, for the past (**#) years, and I need to downsize. Pick them up before the end of the month or else out they go!" And be firm about it.

2. Stop charging on your credit card! Takes a lot of discipline to do this, I know...but it is do-able. Carry enough cash for what you need to spend. Complaining about the high cost of gasoline nowadays?
Go ahead charge it on your card next time you fill up. Then look at your statement when it comes in. And see how much you had paid for that gas. So don't complain about the high cost of gas. You contribute to that cost when you charge it! I got rid of my 3 credit cards a year before I retired...and kept one. I still have not charged anything on it for over two years now. If the bank cancels it...for inactivity, so be it! Mine is a combination credit/debit card. I use my debit card often so my account stays active. I usually make payments 3 to 4 times the minimum amount due. I haven't followed my own advice as judiciously as I should have...so I am paying the consequence in interests and other hidden charges. But at least, I have not added to the amount owed for a long time now. The point is....keep the balance low enough so it doesn't become a strain on your budget. Pay as much as you can manage to bring the balance down. Take the time to go over your statement...and get shocked at what you learn about credit card charges. Ultimately, you want to have a small balance left on your credit card account by the time you retire. And keep it low..or at zero!

3. When you retire...your income would be somewhere about half of what you made when you were actively employed. That means you'd have to learn to live on half as much as you spend now. Yes, you'll still be paying taxes after you retire, BTW. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. And just because your retirement income is cut in half...doesn't mean the cost of everything you need to pay for will also be cut in half! On the contrary, by the time you retire, the cost of living would have gone up a few more notches..while your pension, down a lot more notches. So now that you're still getting twice as much as you would after you retire..start practicing like you're retired! Try to live like you're only earning retirement money. It will get to that point sooner than you realize...so, get rid of costly bad habits now.
You know what they are. If you don't know and you want me to spell it out...send me a note on this forum and I'll be happy to point out many ways we can cut down on waste while improving your health.

Just on these three approaches alone...will help you manage to live on that meager pension. Not everyone can make enough to stash away large sums of money for the rainy days...so it would be prudent to start planning...and acting long before you retire. I retired once...then went back to work...retired again....and one more time...went back to work...and finally retired again, I think for good, in July of 2011. That proves how tough it is to try to live off half the amount of what you were accustomed to while you were actively employed. And don't rely on whatever senior special deals you think you'll get! What? $1 off on a $10 lunch? $1 off on a movie matinee? Must be a joke. Best to you in your retirement planning. Keep an eye on those special senior exemptions at tax time, though. They're great. See, there is something good about being a senior and retired, after all.

BTW, yes, I am well aware there are exceptions! I know there are folks who retire on 6-figure pension...or have stashed way half a million for retirement. Notice they're not exactly taking it easy. They're out there constantly worrying how to double, triple...and quadruple their pension. If I retired like those guys...I'd be out there cruising the world already. I'm talking about just the regular person who has worked hard all his/her life to save, and save...and save...and hopefully, would have saved enough to carry them through the rest of their lives.
Your advise is fine but some of it is a little off: much of what you need is based on where you live, your lifestyle and how much things will change after retirement. You say you will still pay taxes? Of course you will pay sales taxes and property taxes but your income tax bracket should be lower after retirement. I know ours certainly is and we do have investments.

You are right your income will be cut in about 1/2, depending on retirement which many people no longer are receiving and no, your expenses will not go down by 1/2, but they will much less: Gasoline, clothes, meals out, wear and tear on your car, all will be less when you are not working 40 a week, plus you will, hopefully find yourself cooking more economically as you have more time and you will not be entertaining as much.

And yes, many people return to work or have part time jobs. I think holding a part time job can serve more than one purpose. My husband started a small pet setting business and I continued as a travel agent after retirement. Between us we were able to get busy, keep young and have money to do the things we liked, plus we were not tied down to certain hours. Our chosen hobby/jobs were very flexible. I am now fully retired, he still has his business but only deals with past clients or referrals. I will admit, our returning to the work force did have a lot to do with poor financial planning, but it has also kept us from sitting around watching re-runs of Perry Mason all day!!! We also do a lot of volunteer work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement