U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:18 AM

29,910 posts, read 34,976,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fay111 View Post
Have to agree with you on this one. We were on Cape Cod for Hurricane Bob in 91. My dad was involved with civil defense at the time, and oh the stories he told. It wasn't just the people who didn't evacuate, but the people who thought it would be exciting to go down to the beach and watch the waves and then needed to be rescued. There was one guy who wanted to be up close and personal by walking out on a jetty - naturally he needed to be rescued when he was swept away.

Yes, the media tends to over-hype, but when officials are telling you to evacuate, you really should be listening.
Well said and as I noted above there may be over hype at times but some times discretion on the side of over preparedness is welcomed down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 10:20 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,751,071 times
The thing I don't like about the media................even when a severe hurricane is forecasted, it seems the media love to seek out the " macho type" idiots who will proclaim hurricanes don't scare them and they never will evacuate .

As other posters stated, they should report back on those same idiots after the severe hurricane has passed.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:44 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,613,156 times
Well I am hoping for the best for FL.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:52 AM

651 posts, read 557,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
As other posters stated, they should report back on those same idiots after the severe hurricane has passed.
We do what's called a Hurricane Evacuation Study every few years. It is done by an independent organization designed to determine who will and who won't evacuate, why and how many.

The most recent one done, which was last year, had some interesting stuff in it.

People that have stuck it out before in a hurricane say almost to a 100 percent level that they are gone at the first signs of something bad, not going through it again.

People that have had to evacuate before without the aftermath of a storm hitting say at about a 40 percent rate that they won't evacuate again.

People that have never lived in a hurricane state and are newly arrived or haven't yet experienced a storm say they won't unless it's over a category 3+ or higher.

So, many of those in the last 2 will join those in the first one after the next big storm.

And many of those that don't, won't get another opportunity to rethink that choice..

Old 07-02-2014, 11:08 AM

730 posts, read 1,032,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
That's like saying "other than that Mrs. Lincoln - how did you like the play?".

Hurricane Sandy caused 100+ deaths in the US - and resulted in $100 billion+ in property damage.
Oh gosh, I wasn't intending to minimize the impact of either storm AT ALL... only pointing out that in our part of the northeast we get FEWER hurricanes than the more southern parts of the coast (meaning at least Cat 1), and that MAJOR hurricanes here are even more rare. Hence the only memorable storms here have been Gloria in 1985 and Sandy in 2012. None of the others (with the exception of 1954's Carol on the east end only, and of course the 1938 "Long Island Express") caused any major damage in the NY Metro area.

Sandy itself was an anomaly, because rather than being a 'textbook' hurricane it was a hurricane that combined with elements of a nor'easter. Worst of both worlds (except for the lack of snow/ice!).

Re: tornadoes and earthquakes, I absolutely would fear those much more than hurricanes or nor'easters, because of the relatively short warning period. Big difference between knowing that a storm is heading your way days in advance versus minutes or even an hour.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:08 AM

6,957 posts, read 7,416,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
We do what's called a Hurricane Evacuation Study every few years. It is done by an independent organization designed to determine who will and who won't evacuate, why and how many.

The most recent one done, which was last year, had some interesting stuff in it.

People that have stuck it out before in a hurricane say almost to a 100 percent level that they are gone at the first signs of something bad, not going through it again.

People that have had to evacuate before without the aftermath of a storm hitting say at about a 40 percent rate that they won't evacuate again.

People that have never lived in a hurricane state and are newly arrived or haven't yet experienced a storm say they won't unless it's over a category 3+ or higher.

So, many of those in the last 2 will join those in the first one after the next big storm.

And many of those that don't, won't get another opportunity to rethink that choice..
Just wondering~~

Do some people stay because they feel they can reduce the damage to their personal belongings (furniture, clothes)? What about looters?

I'll be moving to the NC coast (Wilmington) and this whole thing scares me.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:14 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,338,309 times
Umb, you had better study up.........

Hurricanes/Tropical Storms what cities and islands get hit most (rankings)

Old 07-02-2014, 11:19 AM

6,957 posts, read 7,416,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
<gulp> Oh shat I may have to rethink this

Old 07-02-2014, 11:26 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,990,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Well I am hoping for the best for FL.
No problem with this storm (Arthur). It's passing off the coast of us now here in NE Florida. Just a little rain. No wind. Biggest threat now (and it's not a huge threat by any means at this point) is to the eastern tip of NC. Robyn

Old 07-02-2014, 11:29 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,751,071 times
However, past incidents aren't always an indicator of future incidents.

I recall when I first started researching areas for southern retirement.

Areas in Louisiana were touting the fact they never were hit by a major hurricane. However, they added in their statement............." that fact has nothing to do with our location but more to do with luck "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement