Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 02:57 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times

Advertisements

With our first named tropical storm of the season today - Arthur - our plans should be in order. I've lived in coastal Florida for 40+ years. And have conflicting thoughts as I age. First - I think I am growing increasingly reluctant (at least mentally) to evacuate (it's a PITA). OTOH - I know I have much less ability to deal with things like extended power outages and the like that can accompany even minor storms.

Anyway - here's our plan.

We stay for tropical storms. We leave for hurricanes. Period. End of story. Note that we live on a barrier island. A "category 2 evacuation area" - although I don't have a clue why we're not in a cat 1 area). Our house has gone through 3 decent tropical storms since we built it. And the worst we had was a 24 hour power outage. But all bets are off in a hurricane (which would be a much stronger storm).

In terms of staying for a tropical storm - we have enough supplies to last at least a week. Including a zippy coffee maker and a gas grill with an extra tank. In all honesty though - if we lose power for more than a couple of days (biggest potential problem) - we'd be out of here because I can't survive when it's 90+ outside without A/C.

In terms of leaving - have to admit I've been lazy about keeping all the records I'd want to take in one place. Guess I should work on that. I'm good at making hotel reservations that can be canceled at 4 pm date of arrival (better safe than sorry in terms of having a place to evacuate to). Keep extra cash around. And a full tank of gas if a storm is on the horizon. Also will empty out the safe deposit box if we're fixing to leave. Our house is pretty much storm ready 24/7/365. Except for locking down our hurricane garage doors. Which takes about 20 minutes.

I guess an added complication on our part would be dealing with my father - who lives here. He never wants to evacuate for hurricanes. If he doesn't want to come with us - so be it - his choice. When my late FIL was alive and living here - he needed 24/7 medical care - and I always had that potential issue in the back of my mind.

Note that we've had 3 mandatory evacuations up here in NE Florida - and I can't recall how many when we lived in Miami. The only one that sticks in my memory after all these years was the one for Andrew. The only thing worse than evacuating and having nothing happen is evacuating and coming back to find your place is a wreck . Robyn

P.S. People on the east coast have to think about these things even if they don't live at the beach. Some of the worst storm damage I ever saw was in Philadelphia during Hurricane Agnes (lots of flooding - even in our downtown apartment building garage). So - even if you don't have to worry about things like evacuations - it may be prudent to move your car or similar to higher ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 04:07 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
IMO, the circus-like media hysteria whenever there is a hurricane brewing in the same hemisphere contributes to much of the uncertainty and confusion. Likewise, the repeatedly unnecessary 'mandatory evacuations' challenge the reliable credibility of any of them!

We lived on an East Coast barrier island for 30-years (10-years directly on the ocean) and probably faced a half-dozen evacuation alarms between 1999 and the 2004 hurricanes (It may surprise folks to know, that no hurricanes have hit Florida for the last 10-years!). We actually left and drove inland on two evacuations, but, all six proved to be so unnecessary, that it's difficult to take any of them seriously. I know, "one never knows when a big one will hit", but, the reality is that the record of 'weather experts' predicting WHERE a hurricane will make landfall is about as abysmal as the reliability of the annual Colo. State Univ. 'major storms forecast.'

The mobile home park residents on the Florida Coast should probably evacuate whenever a hurricane evacuation notice is issued ... if, for no other reason, than to get out of the way of all the panicky newscasters who insist on standing in the rain (in front of mobile homes) during most severe rainstorms. The rest of us should have a plan for the 'worst case situation,' but, not allow ourselves to get caught-up in the media's 24/7 'hair on fire' hype.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:31 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
IMO, the circus-like media hysteria whenever there is a hurricane brewing in the same hemisphere contributes to much of the uncertainty and confusion. Likewise, the repeatedly unnecessary 'mandatory evacuations' challenge the reliable credibility of any of them!

We lived on an East Coast barrier island for 30-years (10-years directly on the ocean) and probably faced a half-dozen evacuation alarms between 1999 and the 2004 hurricanes (It may surprise folks to know, that no hurricanes have hit Florida for the last 10-years!). We actually left and drove inland on two evacuations, but, all six proved to be so unnecessary, that it's difficult to take any of them seriously. I know, "one never knows when a big one will hit", but, the reality is that the record of 'weather experts' predicting WHERE a hurricane will make landfall is about as abysmal as the reliability of the annual Colo. State Univ. 'major storms forecast.'

The mobile home park residents on the Florida Coast should probably evacuate whenever a hurricane evacuation notice is issued ... if, for no other reason, than to get out of the way of all the panicky newscasters who insist on standing in the rain (in front of mobile homes) during most severe rainstorms. The rest of us should have a plan for the 'worst case situation,' but, not allow ourselves to get caught-up in the media's 24/7 'hair on fire' hype.
I don't know what the heck you're talking about. A 5 second Google for major hurricanes turned up Wilma in 2005.

And the past is no guarantee of the future.

Hurricane Floyd was a dud in NE Florida - but what if it had gone 2 degrees here - or 3 degrees there?

FWIW - I think you're an example of ignorant people in Florida. You'll stay put unless and until you're on the roof of your house screaming for the government to help you. Don't expect me and others to put the lives of government employees at risk to bail you out if you get into that predicament <shrug>. Hope you're a good swimmer. Robyn

Old 07-01-2014, 04:33 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Which is more of an inconvenience?

Having to return to your undamaged home after you evacuate and the storm has passed.

Or

Having to stand on the roof of your flooded home waiting for a Nat'l Guard truck to take you to a shelter.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:36 PM

730 posts, read 1,302,618 times
I remember the hype the media spun up for Hurricane Irene and it was a complete fizzle here on LI, in spite of all the "dire predictions" for the tri-state area. The towns actually issued evacuation orders for homes in Cat 1 storm surge zones on LI. During the "height" (lol) of the storm I was sitting on the sofa watching CNN's Andersen Cooper trying to pretend that the weather was worse than it actually was; it was almost embarassing to watch.

I believe that was the same storm in which some other weatherperson was standing on a boardwalk (not sure if on Long Beach, LI, or in coastal NJ.. I forget) emoting about the "terrible wind" and "lashing rain" as the cameras rolled... giving a great view of somebody riding a bicycle just behind her, with nooo trouble at all.

Gloria in 1985 was bad for us here. Superstorm Sandy was worse, mainly because Gloria was a fast-moving storm but Sandy was more leisurely and thus was able to do more damage. Gloria hit at low tide; Sandy encompassed two high tides, if I recall correctly.

But other than those two, there really have been no significant hurricanes this far up the coast that I can recall, and I've lived here for 60+ years. I think there may have been one pretty bad hurricane in the 1950s (?) but that's about it. We've had worse problems from the nor'easters; they bring down trees and power lines.

ETA: Just did a quick Google: The one I remembered was Hurricane Carol in 1954. There were wind gusts up to 120 mph but only sustained 120 mph winds on the far eastern end. The storm was relatively small in size and so most of LI, other than the eastern end/Montauk Point had relatively little damage.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:52 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Two years ago we were under orders to be ready to evacuate--twice during the winter.

Since it was our first winter here, I had no idea whether the ocean would "come over" and water would get into the house, whether our street would be under water, whether we would be trapped without electricity and food so I packed everything up and put it by the door. Family photographs were packed in plastic and put into metal containers and put up high in the closet.

First there was Super Storm Sandy, which, luckily for us, turned inland toward the south of us and we only lost power for a day. That was all.

But there were two "storms of the century" later on in the winter. Horrible freezing rain and snow and ice and record high seas. We were told to be prepared for the storm surge at high tide. It was scary but we never did get the call for mandatory evacuation, just reverse 911 calls to be ready to evacuate.

Being on a little hillside road that goes downward from the ocean, the waters did go pouring down our street--but they kept on going. A lake formed at the bottom of the street but our street was safe. Toward the ocean side, it was deep, icy frozen slush where the sea water had come over the beach and flooded the seaside road so there was no driving or walking in that.

We were somewhat trapped but not in danger. We could have made it out by walking down a side street and getting to a big restaurant that stayed open and has its own generator. They told people to come there any time. That area was not under water but at high tide some of the condo dwellers right nearby on the beach had to be taken away in rowboats!

So I will only do what I have always done in a New England winter: keep some non perishable food on hand and flashlights and other necessities. I know this house doesn't flood and I know I could walk to a safe place. The houses that are right on the beach need to be boarded up but this one doesn't need anything done to it. If it survived the "storm of the century" and one month later, a second "storm of the century" (how is that possible) then it can survive just about anything. I do believe that I am well prepared and I definitely would evacuate if it were mandatory.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
The media love to churn storms into catastrophic events regardless if there is a valid reason or not.
They want people glued to their channel. IMHO that gets people burnt out and not caring. A case of the boy that cried wolf too many times.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:12 PM

730 posts, read 1,302,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The media love to churn storms into catastrophic events regardless if there is a valid reason or not.
They want people glued to their channel. IMHO that gets people burnt out and not caring. A case of the boy that cried wolf too many times.
Absolutely. And I think after the embarassing (for them) debacle of Hurricane Irene, the media here in the tri-state was VERY aware of that when Sandy came on the scene.

Anybody remember the "Balloon Boy" hoax back in 2009? Boy did the media jump on that one and bring us with it -- at least until the kid made that "slip" while being interviewed live by Wolf Blitzer, LOL

Old 07-01-2014, 05:58 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Preparation for us is the same whether it's hurricane or snow blizzard. It's all about being prepared with all the emergency supplies, water, food, meds, documents, etc. Ready to evacuate if need be.

The Red Cross always suggests having a family meetup plan, whether the family members live together or not. Deciding how to contact each other (phone tree, etc).

It's easy to get separated from cell phones, handbags, and wallets during an emergency. Before the emergency approaches if there's time, have your license, medicare etc cards, credit card, some cash, extra keys, and a vial of meds in one of those around-your-neck travel pouches.

There's nothing I dread more than a tornado; there's usually little or no warning. Hurricanes and blizzards you can be ready for.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:04 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Hurricane Irene was mostly a non-event for NYC and LI but did major damage upstate. She was the 7th costliest on record. Here's a link to damage by region; NYS had 10 deaths, but if it doesn't happen in the metro area, it isn't news. There's a bridge here that was washed out by Irene and won't be finished with repairs until 2015, the flooding was incredible. It was much worse north of here.

We live on a hilly street, no flooding, but water in the basement if the ground can't absorb torrential rains, so two sump pumps with one on battery backup. Our pantry is always well stocked. We have a generator and every flashlight known to man. We learned early on, you are on your own for a while in a disaster.

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-01-2014 at 08:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement