Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:30 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,731,112 times

Advertisements

LOL Umb, seriously, the hard winters are more difficult that a 'cane. They never last more than 24 hours. Heck, my folks didn't evac for Andrew.......

Robyn, no generator????????

Our plans stay the same year round. Food, water, gas, generator, tools, tarps, easy grab personal file, 500 dollars in singles, two four wheel drive vehicles, a backhoe. Plenty of wood to secure windows if needed. We aren't planning on evacuating, though; I don't have a horse trailer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 11:48 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,055,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Hurricane Floyd was a dud in NE Florida - but what if it had gone 2 degrees here - or 3 degrees there?

FWIW - I think you're an example of ignorant people in Florida. You'll stay put unless and until you're on the roof of your house screaming for the government to help you. Don't expect me and others to put the lives of government employees at risk to bail you out if you get into that predicament <shrug>. Hope you're a good swimmer. Robyn
Robyn, I think you are correct when you speak of people being hurricane ignorant in Florida.

I grew up on the coast of South Carolina and have been evacuated more times than I can remember. Hurricane Hugo did horrible damage to my beach house (it actually had another home on top of it), and my family's vacation home in Murrells Inlet.

That said, Floyd did and extreme amount of damage all the way up the east coast to the tune of almost 5 billion dollars and 57 deaths.

I will stay for no hurricane and people that decide to try and ride one out are stupid.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:50 PM

5,307 posts, read 5,986,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
LOL Umb, seriously, the hard winters are more difficult that a 'cane. They never last more than 24 hours. Heck, my folks didn't evac for Andrew.......

Robyn, no generator????????

Our plans stay the same year round. Food, water, gas, generator, tools, tarps, easy grab personal file, 500 dollars in singles, two four wheel drive vehicles, a backhoe. Plenty of wood to secure windows if needed. We aren't planning on evacuating, though; I don't have a horse trailer.
I'm guessing your parent' home was not directly nailed by Andrew. That's the only reason I can think of that would explain your naiveté. My son's wife and in-laws were not so fortunate. I can't remember all of the grisly details but I do remember they eventually sought refuge in their Range Rover that was parked in the garage. (The Rover made it through, not the garage). Of course, they didn't start out there - actually experiencing the house implode caused them to take desperate measures.

They fled Miami soon thereafter and built a new home near Jacksonville. Eventually they moved to the Upper Valley in NH. Hard winters? You betcha. But I will guarantee you they would laugh their a**** off at this comment: "[s]eriously, the hard winters are more difficult that a 'cane."

Old 07-02-2014, 01:36 PM

3,259 posts, read 4,980,797 times
I spent the night that Andrew came to town in my bedroom closet -- it was the only room in the house that had no windows. I still remember the sound of debris being blown against the exterior walls of the house -- loud crashing thumps, over and over again. It was only luck that stopped any of that debris from coming through the windows, because we had no hurricane protection on the windows. We lived about 15 miles from the ocean, so evacuating was never a question.

The six weeks after Andrew were even worse than the storm itself. No electricity means no A/C, and it was so hot. It also means no traffic lights, and with the stop signs and street signs blown away, people were hurt or even killed in car crashes and emergency services had a hard time trying to find them. There were looters, and people threatening to shoot each other over a bag of ice.

Now I live in central FL, in a suburb of Orlando, over an hour's drive to the ocean, but I still take precautions in hurricane season. I keep my storm supplies stocked up, so hopefully after the next hurricane (and there always is a "next hurricane") I won't have to leave the house until power and some semblance of order is restored. The back of my house has very large windows that face a lake, and next week I'm having accordion shutters installed on those windows. I don't want to have to sit through another hurricane hoping that nothing shatters the windows -- I'm figuring I was warned by Andrew.

Oh, and anyone who lives in a mobile home ANYWHERE in Florida needs to evacuate before the storm hits. Not just near the coast.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:44 PM

31,680 posts, read 40,976,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
<gulp> Oh shat I may have to rethink this
Don't fret it. You are moving for a reason and weather risk is part of that profile. Just pick carefully where you live. If you can have a back up location to go to all the better. We won't be there for this one.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:01 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,055,515 times
We always evacuate since Hurricane Hugo.

People don't realize it is just as deadly ten, fifteen miles inland as it is on the coast.

After two weeks of no electricity is hot, muggy South Carolina after Hurricane Hugo, I'll gladly stay evacuated.

You realize what true luxuries are like clean clothes, airconditioning, and being able to walk in a room and flip a switch and the lights come on.

Oh and the biggie, ICE.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,939,523 times
New England is about to get pummeled any minute, possibly hale. The wind is already up. The dogs are wimps, hiding under the bed. I guess I'd better not get a platform bed! I forgot about them.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:09 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,731,112 times
negirl, we just got hammered, no hail but the lightning was right over us. I got soaked trying to get those darned horses in. Of course, it's calm and quiet now.........

Old 07-02-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Not really. I've been close to several coastal hurricanes and you can lose your life and/or property. It's serious business, as those on LI, etc. can easily attest. Northern winters only require common sense and preparation way in advance.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
negirl, we just got hammered, no hail but the lightning was right over us. I got soaked trying to get those darned horses in. Of course, it's calm and quiet now.........
I don't do lightning. I'm getting under the bed with the dogs and my laptop. One dog is shaking the bed so hard it feels like an earthquake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement