Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:24 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Thanks bada bing Lots to think about and I may have to become a gun tottin mama. Makes me mad when people start grabbing things that don't belong to them, especially when owners are already going through so much. I may rethink Wilmington - had no idea they got hit so often. Southport is cute and growing so many more stores and such will be going in there.

Have a safe trip - are you texting & driving - just kidding - I know you are more responsible than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Will you go to St James Plantation? Lots of people there from NJ (I believe you were from there).
I looked into it when searching for landing places. Didn't make sense then as I was in the housing market is about to tank camp. Would have been bad move timing wise then, I know someone who lives there and loves it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 02:06 PM

I just got a reality check reminder about this thread etc. Where we are at the beach is accessible by a bridge at one end and a ferry at the other. No evacuation order at all. However because of wind the bridge is being closed at 6PM of course there is no ferry service. Would you want to be a senior or really a person of any age and not have access to emergency or even routine medical care? Normally medical care is a reasonable drive over the bridge. Yes an ambulance could get to you but then what? Food for thought and investigation before settling.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:29 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I just got a reality check reminder about this thread etc. Where we are at the beach is accessible by a bridge at one end and a ferry at the other. No evacuation order at all. However because of wind the bridge is being closed at 6PM of course there is no ferry service. Would you want to be a senior or really a person of any age and not have access to emergency or even routine medical care? Normally medical care is a reasonable drive over the bridge. Yes an ambulance could get to you but then what? Food for thought and investigation before settling.
That is seriously strange. Closing the only bridge but not ordering an evacuation. Hatteras Island has now been ordered evacuated - but some people disagree with the limited scope of the evacuation order:

Hurricane Arthur: People in the North Carolina Outer Banks should consider evacuating.

I guess that perhaps people in other states/areas can't necessarily trust their local officials to give them intelligent ideas about what they should do. Like in Katrina - I was amazed in terms of the pre-storm evacuation orders and plans in New Orleans/Louisana (or - rather - the lack of them).

FWIW - that bridge closure stuff is pretty common in my area. We have tons of bridges. Some are tall. The tall ones get closed down when the winds are > 50 (can't remember whether it's 50 mph or 50 knots). Guess because there's a risk that in those winds - your car could get blown off the bridge. We got home after a trip once right before a tropical storm hit - and the bridge we usually use to get home from the airport had been shut down. So we had to take the "long way around" (across another bridge). The barrier island where we live now is pretty long (from Mayport NAS to Vilano Beach/St. Augustine - about 35 miles). But has 4 bridges and 1 causeway to the mainland. Don't know which bridges would be classified as "tall" if there's a storm. In any event - if I had a storm like Arthur heading in my direction now - I wouldn't be spending the night on a NC barrier island. I'd go shop the 4th of July sales in Raleigh/Durham . Robyn

Old 07-03-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
That is seriously strange. Closing the only bridge but not ordering an evacuation. Hatteras Island has now been ordered evacuated - but some people disagree with the limited scope of the evacuation order:

Hurricane Arthur: People in the North Carolina Outer Banks should consider evacuating.

I guess that perhaps people in other states/areas can't necessarily trust their local officials to give them intelligent ideas about what they should do. Like in Katrina - I was amazed in terms of the pre-storm evacuation orders and plans in New Orleans/Louisana (or - rather - the lack of them).

FWIW - that bridge closure stuff is pretty common in my area. We have tons of bridges. Some are tall. The tall ones get closed down when the winds are > 50 (can't remember whether it's 50 mph or 50 knots). Guess because there's a risk that in those winds - your car could get blown off the bridge. We got home after a trip once right before a tropical storm hit - and the bridge we usually use to get home from the airport had been shut down. So we had to take the "long way around" (across another bridge). The barrier island where we live now is pretty long (from Mayport NAS to Vilano Beach/St. Augustine - about 35 miles). But has 4 bridges and 1 causeway to the mainland. Don't know which bridges would be classified as "tall" if there's a storm. In any event - if I had a storm like Arthur heading in my direction now - I wouldn't be spending the night on a NC barrier island. I'd go shop the 4th of July sales in Raleigh/Durham . Robyn
It is wind related, the wife and I were talking and they probably allow emergency vehicles if necessary to cross.
We are in Northern Virginia. We had some big storms there. One with 20 inches of rain made national news. We were pleased when we got there shortly after it ended that are condo complex had a great drainage system that worked. Others were not as fortunate.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
...I don't mean to be ugly but this is just the kind of ignorance that makes people not evacuate. While Hurricane Irene was no big deal for you, it ended up causing over 15 billion in damages.
I'm no storm expert (OTOH - I do know more than nothing). But - from what I recall of Hurricane Irene - it was this far away (thumb and forefinger close together) from being another Sandy in the New York metro area.

I honestly can't understand why people who manage to escape the bad effects of any particular storm that threatened them and others but wound up decimating others while they weren't harmed at all complain about the media - the weather forecasters - anyone and everyone. I just thank my lucky stars when I'm in that situation.

Like when Hurricane/Tropical Storm Jeanne hit my county - we lost power for < 24 hours - but many people in our county lost power for 2+ weeks. My late FIL was in a SNF then. And the CEO of the SNF didn't understand why so many employees were so cranky. He didn't know that many of his employees were living without power - hot water etc. I did - and suggested that he make accommodations for these employees (like giving them a place to shower in the morning). Which he did. Made a big improvement in employee morale.

Perhaps these people don't understand that hurricane forecasting - like medicine - is at best an inexact science. Robyn

Old 07-03-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
It is wind related, the wife and I were talking and they probably allow emergency vehicles if necessary to cross.
We are in Northern Virginia. We had some big storms there. One with 20 inches of rain made national news. We were pleased when we got there shortly after it ended that are condo complex had a great drainage system that worked. Others were not as fortunate.
There's the tall part of a bridge - and the causeways leading to it. An emergency vehicle might be allowed to cross if there was a minor wind hazard. But not if there's a major wind hazard and/or the causeways leading to/from the bridge were under water. In any event - I think both of us agree tonight is not a night to be on a NC barrier island. Robyn

Old 07-03-2014, 04:00 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
more worried about this tonight...........

stay safe, everyone <3

Old 07-03-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
There's the tall part of a bridge - and the causeways leading to it. An emergency vehicle might be allowed to cross if there was a minor wind hazard. But not if there's a major wind hazard and/or the causeways leading to/from the bridge were under water. In any event - I think both of us agree tonight is not a night to be on a NC barrier island. Robyn
This is a southern beach area with inlet, cape fear river and the ocean east and south

Old 07-03-2014, 06:20 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
The island of Hatteras has one main road, US 12, and at some points the land is only a quarter mile wide.

We camped there when I was a kid in the 60's. One year a storm came closer than expected, the water came across the road and our truck had water up to the wheel well. There was a Coast Guard ship off shore later on in case they needed to evacuate for the flooding. The water receded before that happened though.

I still would love to live on a barrier island.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:56 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
more worried about this tonight...........

stay safe, everyone <3
We don't need any stinking hurricane in Wyoming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD2ZqKJ1oyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l0_Nj6GNe0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement