U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 06:36 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,992,397 times

Advertisements

I know for us we have been planning our retirement while we were still in our 20's, needless to say we didn't save from back then but we knew we wanted to retire so we took a job that paid less but had great retirement benefits.

I plan to go to my grave skidding in sideways with a well used up body screaming WAHOO WHAT A RIDE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 11:32 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,848,700 times
If you had a busy productive life prior to retirement then you appreciate the slower pace of retirement. After almost a week I am not waiting for something to happen, it does every minute of the day as I just enjoy the day as it happens.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:40 AM

13,092 posts, read 13,681,824 times
I'm wondering how old the person posing this original post is? Or rather, what age...I would guess youngish. In my book working is not the be all and end all of who a person is...but to the people who their work is their whole life they really do seem to crumble upon retirement and sort of advance quickly into death. Whereas the people I've known who have full rich lives and interests outside of work, are able to see retirement as just a part of life, and they get to continue to enjoy all the goodies of life they've been enjoying all along and retirement is play time, just more of it. Which really is grand because life is about play....not work!

Old 12-19-2007, 08:39 PM

30,669 posts, read 49,416,421 times
I worked very hard in a career field that I hated. It intruded into all aspects of my life. There were restrictions on who I could speak with, who I could have contacts with and I have to file out forms in some cases to document who I had spoken with. I was monitored about my spending patterns, I was routinely searched, my hair styles were very closely regulated, and I had no choice at all in clothing. I had to pee in a bottle every month for drug testing. I have gone for six months at a time without seeing day light, year after year. I have been used as a guinea pig for testing; for prolonged cadmium exposure, low oxygen work environments, and I don't know what else. I have been a radiation 'sponge', and as such I have absorbed a bunch of radiation. I did all of this as a normal part of my career-field. Oh goody goody, I had access to nuclear weapons and worked with a nuclear reactor, what a thrill.

The one true benefit [other than not paying income taxes] was the retirement package. I stayed with that career primarily for the retirement.

I was forced into mandatory retirement due to my old age, they call it "High year tenure", when I had completed 20-years in that career.

Nobody is going to convince me that working for a paycheck is better than retirement.

My pension is lovely. I celebrate every pension check

ET1(SS) USN - retired

Old 12-19-2007, 11:37 PM

21 posts, read 64,863 times
Most people can't afford to retire.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:55 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,845,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Retirement is much the same as the first 5 years after birth.... .
I sure hope you're right. I look forward to a few last years of breastfeeding before I have to take a dirt nap.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:31 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,264,221 times
Sounds pretty negative to me. No one knows when death may come. I'd rather it come after years of retirement then while I'm working!

Old 12-20-2007, 07:12 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,873,308 times
Retirement is a time to relax and give back. I like to spread encouragement by complementing those who serve me now. Everybody needs a kind word and those most deserving probably get it least. I got that opinion while working.

We have stopped being producers and started being consumers. If there were no consumers, we would need no producers.

I plan to spend my time keeping fit by turning my yard into a park for others to enjoy looking at, not playing in.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:46 AM

30,669 posts, read 49,416,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4CraveEnergyDotcom View Post
Most people can't afford to retire.
Most folks that I know either are retired and are affording it nicely, or they plan to retire and will be able to aford it when the time comes.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:19 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,950,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Many people think "retirement" is a good thing and it can be for a little while as long as your health holds up BUT it is the last stop before death. Once death occurs, retirement ends. Retirement is much the same as the first 5 years after birth. Time you waste playing and not doing much else.

I would not let these kinds of thoughts dominate my thinking - very negative and unproductive. We all die - many die young - some die well into their 100's....the point of life is not when you die - it is how you live your life - a positive attitude, the knowledge you gather, the love you give and get and a desire to serve others will go a long way towards personal happiness and fulfillment, regardless of your age, health or work status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or