U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 08:27 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,581,865 times

Advertisements

I do have an ice maker in the freezer.
I thought Robyn was asking about in the door ones.
They make a big mess.
I love the one in the freezer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 10:52 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,785,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Redid my kitchen four years ago, bought LG appliances, stainless. Hate the stainless, forever wiping them down.

The stove. glass top and convection. Bad move, LG's convection causes the interior paint to scale off, a problem that is being reported on regularly (after I bought, of coarse). The glass top scratches easily.

The fridge is a piece of crap, a door shelve broke off after 6 months (another reported issue) and don't drop anything
off of a interior shelf, it will put a hole where it drops. There is more wrong, but, I won't bore you with all the details...anywhoo, I love the freezer on the bottom and the ice maker works like a charm.

My dishwasher is the quietest one I've ever owned, the only issue I have is that the basket wheels keep snapping off.

I may have just bought the wrong year, although, I doubt it. I gave my old appliances to my brother (1990's) and they are still humming away, no problems.

I plan to buy a new stove and fridge next year, maybe the smudge proof stainless...not sure, all I know is...I will skip LG.
I heard of people using coconut oil to polish the stainless steel. Supposedly removes all fingerprints..

Old 07-06-2014, 10:59 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,785,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Some of the "bells and whistles" look nice. But the sales people we've dealt with say that all the electronics in appliances these days cause the appliances to fail earlier and more often. And replacing electronics isn't cheap. Which is why we're buying extended warranties on major appliances these days (standard warranties seem to be only a year for most brands!). Robyn
salespeople tend to sell the easiest thing for themselves or what pays the biggest spiff, so if they dont understand the technology or need that $50 spiff from GE, theyll steer customers to crappy brands. Most of the highend brands offer 3 year warranties.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:24 AM

6,860 posts, read 7,809,283 times
Robyn - When we renovated our 25 year old kitchen in Houston for our own enjoyment and for resale 5 years before retirement, we got a side-by-side fridge with water and ice in the door. It was very convenient and we never had a problem. We also installed a dishwasher, electric range and microwave - all solid mid-priced Whirlpool models. We would have liked a gas cooktop but like you, it didn't make sense to get that hooked up for just one appliance.

When we started looking at properties in Philadelphia, I noticed that none of the "high end" fridges had water and ice in the door. Who knew you paid more for less convenience? Anyhow, the new condo we bought had a top/down refrigerator-freezer configuration with the ice maker inside the freezer. Right now, it's no issue to bend down and get ice. Who knows what it will be like in 5 or 10 years? The up side is that I'm in the fridge more than the freezer, so it does make more sense to have my food at standing level. That said, if I had a free drop in installing my own appliances, I would have probably had a side-by-side. Though not at issue here, I'm finally cooking with gas for the first time since college. I love it.

PS: I envy your double oven.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:39 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,534,315 times
I like my bottom freezer. I'm in the fridge more and don't have to bend to get to the fruit/veggie bins.

No matter what the configuration you have to bend. I didn't realize that refrigerator layouts are an issue with aging.
If you can't bend for the fridge/freezer then there's lots of other things you can't bend for either so why is the fridge an issue ?

Old 07-06-2014, 01:18 PM

8,618 posts, read 9,689,321 times
[quote=NCN;35525855]I downsized my appliances. I bought the stove with the fewest gadgets and a small refrigerator with the freezer at the bottom in case I ever need to get to it from a wheel chair. The top cool part has adjustable shelves so they can be adjusted to reach right in too. It is a good idea to update while you can still get around good. I have never had the desire for water or ice in the door since a friend had to replace her kitchen wall because a water leak from the ice maker ruined it.

I wanted a front loaded washer but so glad it wouldn't fit into the space of our washing closet behind louver doors beside our dining room table. I have heard so many bad things about those lately.

We had higher commodes built into our bathrooms and a place to sit in the shower that is solid and not just a chair.

Our beds came from England and have adjustable head and feet controls. It also has a massage feature that puts me to sleep many nights. I push three buttons, head, foot, and wave, and it gives me a 1/2 hour massage waving back and forth across my entire back side of my body. I can choose to lay on either side or my stomach but the back feels the best. Many nights I don't remember it going off because I am in la la land.[/quote]

I want one of those! I would love that and being put to sleep like that wouldn't hurt my feelings!

My mom has a freezer on the bottom fridge. It came with the house when she bought it. I have her big side by side in my house and I love it. The ice maker quit working a few years ago but the dispenser still works fine so I just dump a 10# bag of ice in it every two weeks. Works good for me!

I also have a large walk in shower with a solid built in tiled bench. It's good sized too. I LOVE my shower. My mom had it built for her but she's still in her house and has to step up to get into her tub. I told her she can come shower at my house any time.

Last edited by AZDesertBrat; 07-06-2014 at 01:33 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 02:31 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,726,067 times
I have both types. In Florida, I have a Samsung refrig. with bottom freezer and ice maker. I do not find the bottom ice maker inconvenient, but do not like how hard it is for me to pull out bottom draws. They are heavy when full in this particular refrigerator.

Now in Nevada, I did purchase a new LARGE French door refrigerator with the ice maker in the door. I had a difficult time making the decision as I did my research and learned that the majority of repairs come from these in door ice makers in them. However, being in a warm climate in Nevada, ice and cold water is used a lot, and I really like the convenience of walking over to the refrig. and sticking my glass in the door opening and filling it with ice, and then cold filtered water. So, what I did was buy the 5 year extended warranty on it which I think was an extra $250. But considering the cost of the refrig., which was around $2,500 and how much replacing a circuit board in one of them could cost, if they go, I thought it was a smart move in this case. I generally do not buy extended warranties, but if you know there is a likely problem, the insurance might be worth considering.

The bottom draws incidentally in the newer French door refrigerator, glide out effortlessly. Perhaps improvement in design in recent years, or perhaps increase in cost over Fl. refrigerator.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:43 PM

21,541 posts, read 44,039,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I like my bottom freezer. I'm in the fridge more and don't have to bend to get to the fruit/veggie bins.

If you can't bend for the fridge/freezer then there's lots of other things you can't bend for either so why is the fridge an issue ?
Because you're in it three-six times a day. I may be in my freezer once a day - but the fridge is multiple times a day.

The fridge is an issue for the exact reason you like your bottom freezer. I'm almost 6' tall. Have always had a bottom freezer which I never fully appreciated until I had to replace one over 20 years ago. Nook in kitchen no longer accommodated bottom freezer's b/c of govt regs on insulation - space for refrig was 1" too short. So, I was stuck buying an Amana top freezer/fridge. Works great - haven't even replaced an interior light - and is still going strong - no complaints whatsoever. Never even had a repairman here in 22 years.

BUT - there is NOT A DAY I don't wish I had a bottom freezer. These days I have to pull up a chair when unloading groceries to put veggies and fruit in the bins, not to mention cleaning. Plus, if things get pushed to back of fridge - once AGAIN - I have bend practically to the floor to find stuff. If I were 5'1", it wouldn't be so much of an issue. At 6' - it's a PITA. Chair or small stool adjacent to fridge is now a fixture.

I HATE top freezers. But, to replace it, I'd need to get a carpenter in and remove lathe/plaster cupboard above the fridge, which then creates other issues on storage, mess, inconvenience.

Still have an old electric stove w/two electric outlets both of which I use ALL THE TIME. If I had to replace that stove, I'd need an electrician to install more outlets b/c govt. regs no longer allow stove outlets.

My terrific 50 y/o portable Kitchenaid dishwasher (a wedding gift) died about five years ago. It was fantastic. No room in kitchen for built-in. Replaced w/Whirlpool portable - which cleans nowhere near as well as my old Kitchenaid - plus takes much longer.

Still running over 50/yo Mueller-Climatrol furnace and AC. Both work like champs. I can keep this 1900 sq. ft. house 68 degrees without a problem when it's 100 degrees outside.

In my opinion, when it comes to major household appliances/systems, nothing new is better.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:02 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,726,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Because you're in it three-six times a day. I may be in my freezer once a day - but the fridge is multiple times a day.

The fridge is an issue for the exact reason you like your bottom freezer. I'm almost 6' tall. Have always had a bottom freezer which I never fully appreciated until I had to replace one over 20 years ago. Nook in kitchen no longer accommodated bottom freezer's b/c of govt regs on insulation - space for refrig was 1" too short. So, I was stuck buying an Amana top freezer/fridge. Works great - haven't even replaced an interior light - and is still going strong - no complaints whatsoever. Never even had a repairman here in 22 years.

BUT - there is NOT A DAY I don't wish I had a bottom freezer. These days I have to pull up a chair when unloading groceries to put veggies and fruit in the bins, not to mention cleaning. Plus, if things get pushed to back of fridge - once AGAIN - I have bend practically to the floor to find stuff. If I were 5'1", it wouldn't be so much of an issue. At 6' - it's a PITA. Chair or small stool adjacent to fridge is now a fixture.

I HATE top freezers. But, to replace it, I'd need to get a carpenter in and remove lathe/plaster cupboard above the fridge, which then creates other issues on storage, mess, inconvenience.

Still have an old electric stove w/two electric outlets both of which I use ALL THE TIME. If I had to replace that stove, I'd need an electrician to install more outlets b/c govt. regs no longer allow stove outlets.

My terrific old 50 y/o portable Kitchenaid dishwasher (a wedding gift) died about five years ago. It was fantastic. No room in kitchen for built-in. Replaced w/Whirlpool portable - which cleans nowhere near as well as my old Kitchenaid - plus takes much longer.

Still running over 50/yo Mueller-Climatrol furnace and AC. Both work like champs. I can keep this 1900 sq. ft. house 68 degrees without a problem when it's 100 degrees outside.

In my opinion, when it comes to major household appliances/systems, nothing new is better.
I agree wholeheartedly here. Newer appliances have a very short life span, and many, many more expensive reported repair issues. According to consumer reports I believe, the average life of a current day refrigerator, washer/dryer, is only between 7 and 8 years. Dishwashers do even less if memory serves me correctly.

No more 20-30 year old appliances or furnaces. Considering the high cost of these appliances today to replace, it can really tax the budget when you are having to replace that expensive $2,500 refrigerator or $1,500 gas stove etc.every 7 years.

I did struggle with the practicality of purchasing all my new appliances this past year (needed to buy everything, including new washer dryer) In the end, I caved and purchased based on "eye candy" to go with my smart looking new kitchen cabinets and new granite counters. But I kept feeling like the devil made me do it, cause I know they were not the most practical choices. I did put my foot down on the washer/dryer though and just bought a middle grade Whirlpool regular top loading washing machine and matching dryer. So, I wasn't 100% money foolish.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:54 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,938,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Check your credit card.
All of mine have a 'double warranty' feature (up to one year)
Suspect ours do as well. But we're buying 5 year extended warranties for all but the cheapest major appliances (and then we're buying 3 years). We've had one "in extended warranty" service call for our dishwasher - and that pretty much paid for the warranty. Also - when dealing with warranty service - I pretty much know the local repair firms that various stores use. Also - which ones I like - and which I don't like. Since there's so much price matching these days - I go with the store that that uses repair outfits I like. FWIW - my favorite appliance repair outfit here doesn't do *any* warranty work anyone. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or