U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 04:04 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,925,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Redid my kitchen four years ago, bought LG appliances, stainless. Hate the stainless, forever wiping them down.

The stove. glass top and convection. Bad move, LG's convection causes the interior paint to scale off, a problem that is being reported on regularly (after I bought, of coarse). The glass top scratches easily.

The fridge is a piece of crap, a door shelve broke off after 6 months (another reported issue) and don't drop anything
off of a interior shelf, it will put a hole where it drops. There is more wrong, but, I won't bore you with all the details...anywhoo, I love the freezer on the bottom and the ice maker works like a charm.

My dishwasher is the quietest one I've ever owned, the only issue I have is that the basket wheels keep snapping off.

I may have just bought the wrong year, although, I doubt it. I gave my old appliances to my brother (1990's) and they are still humming away, no problems.

I plan to buy a new stove and fridge next year, maybe the smudge proof stainless...not sure, all I know is...I will skip LG.
Stainless gets kind of mixed reviews. There are newer finishes that are supposed to resist fingerprints - but I remain skeptical. Just because I'm older and retired doesn't mean I want to spend half my life getting rid of finger prints on appliances . Also - my last 3 kitchens have all been white and black. And - since I'm in replacement mode now - I'm not going to stick a stainless finish appliance into a white appliance kitchen.

Since we built our house - both LG and Samsung have become major players in major appliances. They get very mixed reviews in terms of reliability - service - and the like. OTOH - a lot of the brands I "grew up with" that had great reputations - like Maytag and Kitchenaid - seem to have gone downhill. On the third hand - since the repair people I like tell me they still have problems getting parts for LG and Samsung - I'm inclined to stay with the brands I know (and used to love). Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I do have an ice maker in the freezer.
I thought Robyn was asking about in the door ones.
They make a big mess.
I love the one in the freezer.
I currently have an in door ice maker in a side-by-side - but am interested in ice maker options in a french door configuration unit. What's your refrigerator configuration? Side by side - freezer on the top/bottom? Whatever?

Is your subzero an older one? Seems that subzero - has - like many other brands we used to love - gone downhill in recent years.

FWIW - I had a yuck reading some of the subzero complaints on one of those complaint websites. Either the people are crazy - or the company is ridiculous (or perhaps it's a combination of both). A lot of complaints were directed at the attitude that if you can afford a subzero - you can afford to wait home all day for a repair person. And - in the case of people who aren't retired - miss a day from work. Even though I am retired - I like prompt service with reasonable time frames for showing up.

Also note that on this complaint website - no refrigerator manufacturer got more than 1.5 stars out of 5. OTOH - no one goes to a complaint website unless he/she has something to complain about! Robyn

Old 07-06-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
salespeople tend to sell the easiest thing for themselves or what pays the biggest spiff, so if they dont understand the technology or need that $50 spiff from GE, theyll steer customers to crappy brands. Most of the highend brands offer 3 year warranties.
Even a 3 year warranty doesn't impress me. Not for something like a refrigerator.

My old Kitchenaid dishwasher had a 20 year warranty. The tub rusted out after about 15 years. Still - the replacement was so inexpensive I didn't feel like hassling with the warranty.

Also - even if you have the best warranty in the world - but you can't get a service guy out for a week or two and have to jump through a ton of hoops to get a warranty honored - what is the warranty worth?

IMO - the only major appliance that is totally critical is a refrigerator. Because - if it dies - you can wind up losing a lot of (sometimes expensive) food. We have a smaller el cheapo bare bones refrigerator/freezer in our garage that we bought from Montgomery Ward (which gives you an idea how old it is!). After reading a lot of sob stories about people having lots of food spoil when their refrigerators have failed - I think getting a similar el cheapo unit is perhaps one's best insurance policy (assuming one has a garage or similar where you can put it). Robyn

Old 07-06-2014, 04:31 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,723,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I currently have an in door ice maker in a side-by-side - but am interested in ice maker options in a french door configuration unit. What's your refrigerator configuration? Side by side - freezer on the top/bottom? Whatever?

Is your subzero an older one? Seems that subzero - has - like many other brands we used to love - gone downhill in recent years.

FWIW - I had a yuck reading some of the subzero complaints on one of those complaint websites. Either the people are crazy - or the company is ridiculous (or perhaps it's a combination of both). A lot of complaints were directed at the attitude that if you can afford a subzero - you can afford to wait home all day for a repair person. And - in the case of people who aren't retired - miss a day from work. Even though I am retired - I like prompt service with reasonable time frames for showing up.

Also note that on this complaint website - no refrigerator manufacturer got more than 1.5 stars out of 5. OTOH - no one goes to a complaint website unless he/she has something to complain about! Robyn
You would be hard pressed to find a site anywhere (except Home Depot and Lowes) that has more good than bad reviews for current day appliances. Consumer Reports is dismal, Amazon is not much better. Consumer Reports, Amazon and Costco will give you a better reading I think than places that sell a lot of appliances like Sears, Home Depot or Lowes. I agree, I think a lot of people tend to post their grievances before posting good reviews. I am just the opposite, in that I would hesitate to give a bad review, but if I got something that I am especially happy with, I like to spread the good word.

It's getting more difficult on Amazon to decipher the "real" 5 star reviews from the phony ones. I read an article stating that most people flunked the test in trying to pick out the phony ones. Good thing about buying something on Amazon with a 4 or 5 star review - nobody posts phony bad reviews. (except maybe a competitor - so I take that back) )

Old 07-06-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Robyn - When we renovated our 25 year old kitchen in Houston for our own enjoyment and for resale 5 years before retirement, we got a side-by-side fridge with water and ice in the door. It was very convenient and we never had a problem. We also installed a dishwasher, electric range and microwave - all solid mid-priced Whirlpool models. We would have liked a gas cooktop but like you, it didn't make sense to get that hooked up for just one appliance.

When we started looking at properties in Philadelphia, I noticed that none of the "high end" fridges had water and ice in the door. Who knew you paid more for less convenience? Anyhow, the new condo we bought had a top/down refrigerator-freezer configuration with the ice maker inside the freezer. Right now, it's no issue to bend down and get ice. Who knows what it will be like in 5 or 10 years? The up side is that I'm in the fridge more than the freezer, so it does make more sense to have my food at standing level. That said, if I had a free drop in installing my own appliances, I would have probably had a side-by-side. Though not at issue here, I'm finally cooking with gas for the first time since college. I love it.

PS: I envy your double oven.
Why would you have preferred the side-by-side? Just because it's bigger? I have a side-by-side now (probably similar to what you left in Houston) and am comparing it to "French door" models with similar interior capacity. About 25 cubic feet. Guess if you're dealing with an equal amount of cubic feet - and you want an ice-maker - it has to go somewhere - either the refrigerator or the freezer. Whether you're talking side-by-side - top/bottom - or French door. I would like to go more in terms of cubic feet. But don't think our refrigerator enclosure will be big enough to do that.

I do have the other unit in the garage. I think it's probably about another 15-19 cubic square feet or so. But - in all honesty - if I store stuff out there other than water and beer and the like - I forget about it. Unless it's something like the turkey I buy for Thanksgiving or Halloween candy.

I haven't had gas since school either. Florida isn't big on gas. And - because I've never cooked with gas since I learned how to do anything other than boil water - I don't know if I'm missing anything.

I really love the double ovens - they're the 30" kind. Both eye level (more or less). If you're going to have one eye level oven - might as well have two. I use both more than I thought I would.

Finally - a note of caution. I am a very enthusiastic cook - but had an accident the other night. It was scheduled to and did rain on the 4th of July. So I couldn't grill outside. I cooked in a cast iron skillet instead. And dropped a steak into the pan when turning it. The grease spattered - and I wound up burning myself on my chest and my chin. No fun. I'm in the market now for new tongs that older women without a lot of hand strength can manage successfully without dropping stuff. Robyn

Old 07-06-2014, 06:35 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,277,138 times
Mom is 80 and her appliances have served her well even through a move.

Amana 18 cu ft Freezer circa late 1960's
Amana 20 cu ft Refrigerator circa 1980
Kenmore Dryer circa late 1960's
Kenmore Washer circa 1980
Electrolux Vacuum circa 1960's
Zenith 25" TV circa 1980

In 1978 I changed out her GE Oven and Cooktop with another GE and added a GE Spacemaker Microwave.

So far so good...

My Grandmother's 1950 Crosley Shelvador is still pressed into service at the cabin as is her 1930's Electrolux Vacuum that was an anniversary present in the 1930's

Just as many appliances are replaced for style/preference as for failure.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:02 PM

6,852 posts, read 7,799,244 times
Quote:
Why would you have preferred the side-by-side? Just because it's bigger? I have a side-by-side now (probably similar to what you left in Houston) and am comparing it to "French door" models with similar interior capacity. About 25 cubic feet. Guess if you're dealing with an equal amount of cubic feet - and you want an ice-maker - it has to go somewhere - either the refrigerator or the freezer. Whether you're talking side-by-side - top/bottom - or French door. I would like to go more in terms of cubic feet. But don't think our refrigerator enclosure will be big enough to do that.
Easy answer: I don't like to stoop down to get my ice. I'm not at all aware of the cubic feet in our model. We tend to keep only a few days worth of groceries in the house at a time and don't freeze a lot of food, so the size of our refrigerator has never been a concern for us. We apparently replaced a smallish refrigerator in Houston because the new models were too deep to fit in the old enclosure. We had to pay more for a smaller "counter depth" model. It seemed odd to pay more to get less, but that's the way it was.

Sorry to hear about the burn.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:59 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,870,699 times
Quote:

Robyn
One of the problems that you have to watch out for in the newer side-by-side refrigerators is height not capacity. Our old side-by-side refrigerator gave out 3 years ago and I thought it would be a simple task to replace it, just buy a new one and simply replace the old one.

Not so. We looked and looked and looked. All were 2-3 inches too high and in buying one of them meant ripping out and reworking some very expensive over-head cabinets. We finally found an acceptable sized side-by-side at Lowes - their cheapest Whirlpool model as it turned out. Plus it was on sale. All of their other models were too high. I was reluctant to buy it (especially since the reviews were like 3.5/5 stars) but we had no real choice. So far it has been great though, no problems.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:23 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
My new place has older appliances which is fine for me. The 80-90s era appliances from GE and Whirlpool are far more reliable than the newer models, a sad state of affairs for the appliance industry.

I was particularly happy NOT to have a water/ice dispenser in my refrigerator. My last one had a major failure and caused major flooding in my old place ($7k in damages).

Old 07-07-2014, 03:44 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,782,961 times
Quote:
Even a 3 year warranty doesn't impress me. Not for something like a refrigerator.

My old Kitchenaid dishwasher had a 20 year warranty. The tub rusted out after about 15 years. Still - the replacement was so inexpensive I didn't feel like hassling with the warranty.

Also - even if you have the best warranty in the world - but you can't get a service guy out for a week or two and have to jump through a ton of hoops to get a warranty honored - what is the warranty worth?

IMO - the only major appliance that is totally critical is a refrigerator. Because - if it dies - you can wind up losing a lot of (sometimes expensive) food. We have a smaller el cheapo bare bones refrigerator/freezer in our garage that we bought from Montgomery Ward (which gives you an idea how old it is!). After reading a lot of sob stories about people having lots of food spoil when their refrigerators have failed - I think getting a similar el cheapo unit is perhaps one's best insurance policy (assuming one has a garage or similar where you can put it). Robyn
Have to lol as my DH was a longtime monkey wards store director.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or