U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 03:18 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,787,940 times

Advertisements

There are new 4 door French door refrigerators with 3 cooling zones, so on the 2 lower doors you can switch between cooling or freezing. Neat to be sble to switch back and forth depending on what you bought for groceries.

Last edited by Joliefille; 07-08-2014 at 03:30 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 07:03 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,960,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My average daily kW consumption is right around 12 kWh

Can't say that I have anything on the energy efficient side accept some LED lights.

When I run the payback numbers it always comes out decades...

Still considering adding solar electric since the sun shines here a lot.

Never lived in a home with A/C and I understand A/C and pools/spa rack up kWh quickly.
Our HVAC and hot water heater probably account for 75%+ of our power use. So the energy efficiency of something like a refrigerator isn't going to move the dial on our electric bill more than a millimeter. Robyn

Old 07-08-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
It's a 26 cu ft. Samsung. Bought it in Oct. of last year. Haven't had any problems, except once the ice did get stuck and I had to open inside compartment and move some cubes around. It's a pretty refrig, and has some nice features in the freezer part below which glides out effortlessly. I was originally going for a Westinghouse because of good reputation, but next to the Samsung and LG's, they looked and offered a lot less. Had to put the good jewelry on with the expensive dress, with my remodeled kitchen. I like having both ice cubes and crushed ice available. Crushed ice is nice for making my limeades, smoothies and even margaritas...
Thanks for the information.

Quote:
Speaking of funny reviews. I am assuming everyone knows about the funniest Amazon reviews. Some of them are side splitting funny. Better than a book.
This is my favorite - a case of regrettable syntax :

I can easily blow this horn, as well as my 8 year old boy.

Amazon.com : Profile for Steven J. Kimball

Robyn

Old 07-09-2014, 10:47 AM

730 posts, read 1,029,777 times
Side-by-side fridge for me. I would get a painful lower back spasm if I had to bend over to access a bottom-freezer. I normally don't use the lowest (veggie compartment) bins in the refrigerator side anyway, because I buy small quantities and use them quickly; I prep them and put the slices, etc, into containers that go onto the mid and upper shelves.

I would think that having to maneuver next to or in front of a bottom freezer would be awkward for someone in a wheelchair or scooter? It would be the same movement as having to put things in or out of a lower oven, wouldn't it?

There is one company (Gaggenau) that makes a side-hinged wall oven but they are $$$$$$$. I don't think any other company makes anything but the typical bottom-hinged door for any kind of oven. I've often wondered why they fell out of favor. Back in the 1970s I had a double-oven range that had a side hinge on the upper (meaning above the rangetop; where they usually stick a microwave nowadays) oven. I hardly ever used the lower oven because the upper one was so much easier to access!

I used to prefer top loading washers because I could effectively soak things if I needed to, and then spin them nicely dry. But now that I can't do the reach/bend movement, a front loader on a pedestal has become optimal.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:16 PM

9,777 posts, read 7,063,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
salespeople tend to sell the easiest thing for themselves or what pays the biggest spiff, so if they dont understand the technology or need that $50 spiff from GE, theyll steer customers to crappy brands. Most of the highend brands offer 3 year warranties.
Generally that's true. But I guess we got lucky when our refrigerator died in our old house that we planned to sell a few months after that happened. The salesman at the big box store we went to understood when we told him we planned to sell the house soon anyway, that we didn't want to spend megabucks on a new fridge with the buzzers and whistles, and nix to stainless as the other appliances were black. So he directed us to a very nice and relatively inexpensive GE "french door" fridge with an icemaker ( no water) in the door, that happened to be on sale, for a very good price.

There are some sales folks out there with their customers pocketbooks and needs in mind. Few and far between, perhaps, but this guy was definitely a gem. We sent a letter of commendation to the corporate HQ, and his boss.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:50 PM

13,905 posts, read 25,364,805 times
I have been sort of shopping for appliances. I hope to hold off till between Thanksgiving and Christmas because a friend who manages this department for one of the big box stores told me this is always the best time to buy. No one looks at appliances during the Holidays and it's the end of the year. They want to unload inventory for the new stuff.

This same person told me how to figure out what fridge to buy. Stick a piece of paper and a pen on your fridge with 2 columns. Fridge and Freezer. Do a simple stroke tally for 2 weeks every time you open one or the other. Add them up and compare the totals. For me, the bottom freezer makes sense. I open the fridge about 4 times more than I open the freezer so the freezer should be the least convenient. Plus I love the idea of having the veggie drawers easily accessible. And someone pointed out the bottom freezer would be easy for a wheelchair. Also, cold air sinks and the bottom freezer is always more energy efficient.

Ice and water dispensers/makers. I'm with the folks who will pay extra NOT to have them. Every single one I have ever bought has had problems and the filters you have to change are not easily accessible. Plus I want the room in my freezer. Those icemakers take up 1/4 of the space. My ice solution is Tovolo Ice Balls. I have 8 of them instead of using ice cube trays. They are big balls of ice that last a long time and are easy to use. Plus they are kind of cool looking! If I need a large quantity of ice for a party or something, I buy a bag. Still much better than the constant repairs and filter changes.

Dishwashers. There can be only one, Bosch! Does the best job, lasts forever, and it's quiet. I have never had another one that worked half as well as my Bosch. I have an LG right now and I want to get rid of it! It would be great to have a DW that wasn't on the floor but I've never seen one. I would always vote for front loading washers and dryers on pedestals so you don't have to bend. I think front loaders clean better. But they will get stinky if you keep the door closed all the time. I always leave the washer door open so the water can evaporate. My front loader will do quilts, blankets and comforters. It's big enough to wash almost anything.

I am still looking for a gas range with removable drip pans that can go in the dishwasher. Has anyone seen these? I tried the glass top electric but it always looked dirty/brown on top. Even after scrubbing with a toothbrush. I prefer to cook with gas.

That's my 2 cents worth. Maybe I have been thinking about this way too much but I'm hoping these will be the last appliances I have to buy!

Old 07-09-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
...Ice and water dispensers/makers. I'm with the folks who will pay extra NOT to have them. Every single one I have ever bought has had problems and the filters you have to change are not easily accessible. Plus I want the room in my freezer. Those icemakers take up 1/4 of the space. My ice solution is Tovolo Ice Balls. I have 8 of them instead of using ice cube trays. They are big balls of ice that last a long time and are easy to use. Plus they are kind of cool looking! If I need a large quantity of ice for a party or something, I buy a bag. Still much better than the constant repairs and filter changes...
Some of the newer side by sides have the icemakers built into the freezer doors - not the interior compartment. Don't have a clue how well they work - but they free up a lot of space.

Quote:
Dishwashers. There can be only one, Bosch! Does the best job, lasts forever, and it's quiet. I have never had another one that worked half as well as my Bosch. I have an LG right now and I want to get rid of it! It would be great to have a DW that wasn't on the floor but I've never seen one. I would always vote for front loading washers and dryers on pedestals so you don't have to bend. I think front loaders clean better. But they will get stinky if you keep the door closed all the time. I always leave the washer door open so the water can evaporate. My front loader will do quilts, blankets and comforters. It's big enough to wash almost anything.
Last time I looked - Bosch dishwashers still didn't have drying elements. Might work in reasonably dry places - but not in Florida. If I wanted to hand dry all my dishes - I wouldn't have a dishwasher .

For similar reasons - things like front loading washers aren't your best bet in Florida. The humidity in my house now is about 50% - with the AC set at 76. I happen to like this level of humidity - but many front loading washers don't.

Quote:
I am still looking for a gas range with removable drip pans that can go in the dishwasher. Has anyone seen these? I tried the glass top electric but it always looked dirty/brown on top. Even after scrubbing with a toothbrush. I prefer to cook with gas...
No matter what you like to cook with - I think the glass tops clean well - but not with a toothbrush.

I use a glass scraper like this to remove cooked on stuff:

STANLEY | Razor Scraper with Blades | Home Depot Canada

And then clean/polish with this:

Weiman® Cook Top Cleaner | Clean Glass Stove | Clean Ceramic Stove

About once a week (unless I make a huge mess in the middle of the week). After almost 20 years - my cook top looks just about good as new. Wouldn't go back to drip pans for anything. Robyn

Old 07-09-2014, 04:18 PM

Default Regarding Water Softeners

For those of you who have them.

We never had one before we built this house. Our water pressure had gone downhill recently - and our water company said it might be a problem with our water softener. A simple test (bypassing the softener) revealed that the water softener was the culprit. And we discovered you have to change the filter and the resin pellets in the softener about every 6-8 years (we did it 10 years ago and kind of forgot about it). Got the plumber out. He replaced our gone to mush resin and our filter - and now everything's humming along again. Cost to do this here was about $250 (with a $20 coupon). YMMV where you live. FWIW - I wouldn't care to live in a hard water area like where I live now without a water softener. Robyn

Old 07-10-2014, 11:29 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,007,999 times
I would like some recommendations on a clothes washer that does NOT require HE (high-efficiency) detergents (I'm allergic to most if not all commercial detergents and need to use a simple naturally-derived one).

I'd specifically like to hear from others about stacking units (washer on bottom, dryer on top). The drawbacks seem to be:

1. Small interior drum = smaller loads (cannot do quilts, bedspreads, etc)

2. Difficulty (for me as a senior) reaching into the washer with the bottom edge of the drier in the way

So, anyone have an easy-access decent-size-drum stacking washer that does not require HE detergent?
And would you recommend it?

Old 07-10-2014, 02:57 PM

We had a stacking unit in our first condo. When we moved into a new larger condo with full size units in a small but separate laundry room (in 1985) - it was one of the happiest housekeeping days of my life (seriously). I could never go back to those small dinky units. Quilts and bedspreads? Heck. What about a week's worth of towels or a terry bathrobe?

We replaced our 20 year Maytag about 3-4 years ago (tub rusted out - and replacing it didn't make any sense at all). We bought the 4 year old model of this to replace it:

3.6 cu. ft. Top Load Washer with Extra-Large Capacity (MVWC200BW White) |

No bells and whistles. No HE anything. No fancy electronics. No stainless steel tub (they tend to look awful here because of our water). It washes fine. And has been trouble free going on 4+ years now. About my only observation is the delicate cycle isn't quite as delicate as the delicate cycle on my old machine. But - so far - the machine hasn't destroyed any of our clothes (and I don't wash anything by hand - not even bras).

FWIW - all I ask of a washing machine is that it's dependable - doesn't smell/get mold - and washes our clothes ok (gets them clean without destroying them). This machine does all those things IMO. I use a Publix liquid detergent called "Free and Clear". I have no idea what's in it - but it doesn't smell like anything. I was a loyal Cheer user until it changed to a container that always dribbled when you put the cap back on. Funny the things that can influence consumer decisions. Robyn

P.S. We don't have bedspreads. Our quilts are oversized kings - and won't fit in this machine. We take them to our dry cleaner to be laundered commercially (which is what the tags recommend). We have fitted box spring covers - and they fit easily into this machine.

Last edited by Robyn55; 07-10-2014 at 03:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or