U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 01:08 AM

11,434 posts, read 16,534,546 times

Advertisements

When I sat at my local Starbucks a couple of days ago, I noticed an elderly woman picking bottles and cans from a trash can in front. I've always had tender heart for aluminum dumpster divers because I collected aluminum cans from the trash when I was a teenager to make extra money. I don't recall seeing too many elderly people doing it-ever. I gathered my cans at home, put them in a bag and put them in the trunk of my car to give to her if I saw her again. Today, I saw her and gave her the cans. You would have thought that I gave her a $million. I've given these cans to homeless looking folks before, but this one was really special, soI gave her a little extra something. She gave me a big hug and said that I "smelled good". It made my day. If any of you have cans/bottles to give and see such a person in your neighborhood, I would urge you to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 03:58 AM

16,453 posts, read 10,433,557 times
good idea-or cash them in and donate the money.

No refunds on bottles/cans in PA. I wish.....

Old 07-06-2014, 05:42 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,072,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
When I sat at my local Starbucks a couple of days ago, I noticed an elderly woman picking bottles and cans from a trash can in front. I've always had tender heart for aluminum dumpster divers because I collected aluminum cans from the trash when I was a teenager to make extra money. I don't recall seeing too many elderly people doing it-ever. I gathered my cans at home, put them in a bag and put them in the trunk of my car to give to her if I saw her again. Today, I saw her and gave her the cans. You would have thought that I gave her a $million. I've given these cans to homeless looking folks before, but this one was really special, soI gave her a little extra something. She gave me a big hug and said that I "smelled good". It made my day. If any of you have cans/bottles to give and see such a person in your neighborhood, I would urge you to do it.
Really nice thing to do. We don't have any returnable cans and bottles but I'll pass that idea along.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:29 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,601,096 times
We always see older folk dumpster diving for returnables.
Some retirees may look homeless but actually just dress that way.
I would donate, too.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:06 PM

34,774 posts, read 33,846,521 times
Have you ever seen the HBO documentary "Redemption?" Here's a synopsis:

HBO: Documentaries | Redemption | Home

And here's a short clip:

Fall Documentary Series: Redemption (HBO Documentary Films) - YouTube

Old 07-06-2014, 10:39 PM

3,447 posts, read 4,012,203 times
LauraC, the man in the above still looks so sad, I cannot read about or watch the documentary, I would be bawling and it is after 11:30 and I really do need to go to sleep. Can you just write a little summary of it, please?

Old 07-07-2014, 11:38 AM

4,560 posts, read 5,506,235 times
In my area they typically go through our garbage bins looking for who knows what. So, we always shred our papers and don't put the trash out unitl about an hour before the truck comes through. I have seen them loanding up on billing statements which, of course, have account information. Some of them will rattle though our bins, on private property, well before sunrise as they don't care that some people have actual jobs and need to sleep. If you confront them all they do is ignor you as they feel it is their right to come into our complex to help themselves. The police will respond to remove them but why should have the hassle not to mention the waste of American tax dollars.

Feeling the need to help is wonderful but they know how to take advantage of the situation. One of my neighbors claimed she tried to talk to one of them and got the sob story about being in the country without an income. Really?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement