U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 10:11 AM

2,436 posts, read 1,675,248 times

Advertisements

I don't buy non-gmo since there are no standardized tests. I support the idea behind it, but that barn door was closed long after the damage was done.
understanding the non-gmo label

I keep whole grain flours in the freezer to keep the oils from going rancid and to keep critters from hatching.

It's great to have the time to do those things once again, fresh is always better than processed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 10:31 AM

4,556 posts, read 5,476,905 times
Here in the Bay Area there is plenty of citrus just for the picking. On our bike rides we have located a favorite lemon tree to pick from and have a patio lime tree. If you toss your squeezed lemon halves into boiling water the lemon oil released will add a nice mellow flavor to your lemon aide. Also, roasting lemons mellows the flavor a bit which is also great with chicken. When I remember, I sprout beans as there is nothing fresher and better for you. Toss the sprouts in your homemade dressing and enjoy, or just add to salads.

My neighbor makes cinnamon buns from the grain she grinds with her mill...nothing better! If I had the room in our condo I would get one.

I also use one of the new pressure cookers which are much safer than the old style. Toss in onion, a bunch chopped veggies, tomatoes, ginger, and coconut milk and seven minutes later you have an Indidan style dinner. You can also buy a bag of dried chick peas and cook in the pressure cooker for much less than canned and their taste is much better.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:41 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,242,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Are you growing lemons inside? Are they miniature or full size? I'd love to grow full size lemons, but I've never thought it was practical. I love lemons and use them every day. During the summer I squeeze enough to get one cup of cold juice, then add 1/2 liter of cold water and additional ice. That's how I drink it; I don't want sugar or any other sweetener. There's nothing more refreshing.
I buy TrueLemon online - a box of 500 packets at a time. Have never paid the full price either - I wait for a sale, LOL
I make my own Pepsi Lemon, since Pepsi stopped making it. One packet per can. Use it for cooking too.

Shelf life of two years if unopened
No artificial sweeteners, colors, flavors, preservatives, sodium or gluten
Ingredients: Crystallized Lemon [citric acid, lemon oil, lemon juice, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)].
1 packet = 1 wedge
2 packets = 1 tablespoon of juice

Old 07-07-2014, 02:54 PM

21,542 posts, read 44,060,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I used geriatric as a noun. It can simply refer to an old person. I'm three score and ten; I believe that qualifies me.
Really??
Quote:
noun
noun: geriatric; plural noun: geriatrics

1. an old person, especially one receiving special care.
    "a rest home for geriatrics"
https://www.google.com/search?q=geri...x-a&channel=sb
A change of self-definition may be in order.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Really??
A change of self-definition may be in order.
I agree. There's not only the dictionary definition, which calls into question the use of "geriatric" for this thread, but there's the common understanding of the meaning of the word, as in the adjective "geriatric" (pertaining to really old people) ward in a hospital or care facility.

OTOH, I wonder what age you would have to be to be in a "geriatric" ward in a hospital. Nurses here?

At any rate, I almost didn't open the thread because that word does not apply to anyone I know. My really elderly relatives and friends, who would be just called old or elderly, have died. I doubt any boomer sees himself/herself as geriatric, even those with health problems.

Now about the use of the noun form of this word. There is no such thing as "a geriatric." There is a use of the noun "geriatrics"‚ which literally means: the branch of medicine or social science dealing with the health and care of old people.

(Wyoming, just jabbing you back for your ongoing needling about "literal" shoestring. You may live on a "figurative" shoestring; many others would say "literal"—not as in the shoestring, but as in the budget ).

Old 07-07-2014, 04:06 PM

477 posts, read 399,604 times
As for Grocery Outlet, it doesn't strike me as being particularly cheap - at least not going by the current sale ad. Sure, I see the "2 - 6 oz beef fillets wrapped in bacon" listed at $4 - no telling what cut that actually is. But even ignoring that issue, the rest of the stuff seems to be a little to a lot MORE expensive than similar items I bought in town this past week at Raley's, Costco, or Sam's.

For instance - butter is $2.99 at GO this week. I paid $2.50 at Raley's, same price as at Sam's.

Shredded cheese is listed at $7/2 lbs - I routinely buy it on sale for $2.50/lb. I have NO idea where anyone is buying that at the $7.50 per pound it would have to cost to get their "savings" of $8 off 2 lbs.

In general, it looks like meats may be discounted (I have no idea of quality), but most everything else is the same to way more costly.

I miss Aldi's!

Old 07-07-2014, 05:18 PM

18,130 posts, read 23,010,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
As for Grocery Outlet, it doesn't strike me as being particularly cheap - at least not going by the current sale ad. Sure, I see the "2 - 6 oz beef fillets wrapped in bacon" listed at $4 - no telling what cut that actually is. But even ignoring that issue, the rest of the stuff seems to be a little to a lot MORE expensive than similar items I bought in town this past week at Raley's, Costco, or Sam's.

For instance - butter is $2.99 at GO this week. I paid $2.50 at Raley's, same price as at Sam's.

Shredded cheese is listed at $7/2 lbs - I routinely buy it on sale for $2.50/lb. I have NO idea where anyone is buying that at the $7.50 per pound it would have to cost to get their "savings" of $8 off 2 lbs.

In general, it looks like meats may be discounted (I have no idea of quality), but most everything else is the same to way more costly.

I miss Aldi's!
I suppose it depends where you are. The cheese price you mentioned is the going price at GO, but the next cheapest place I've found in town is Wal-Mart, which is more. Costco might be a little less, but then I have to buy too much & I don't have the freezer space for an extra 2 pounds.

Ironically, the cheapest place to buy canning jars (including finding them at thrift stores here) is Food Maxx. But much of their other stuff is more expensive than other places.

I guess one of the benefits of being retired, is we have time to go to different stores to find the best deals. I go to that store for eggs, that store for canning lids, that store for cheese, LOL!

Old 07-07-2014, 05:50 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I suppose it depends where you are. The cheese price you mentioned is the going price at GO, but the next cheapest place I've found in town is Wal-Mart, which is more. Costco might be a little less, but then I have to buy too much & I don't have the freezer space for an extra 2 pounds.

Ironically, the cheapest place to buy canning jars (including finding them at thrift stores here) is Food Maxx. But much of their other stuff is more expensive than other places.

I guess one of the benefits of being retired, is we have time to go to different stores to find the best deals. I go to that store for eggs, that store for canning lids, that store for cheese, LOL!
Reading this, I think of the cost of gas going around to all these stores. It's easy to put on 50+ miles a week this way. I try to shop at two stores max. The savings elsewhere doesn't add up with the gas factor.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:17 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,077,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

Have you tried your local Winco? I know there's one in Redding but don't know where it is in relation to where you live. I've had better luck there than at GO or Walmart for most things. Plus they have the bulk bins so you don't have to buy a boatload of something you'll only use once in awhile.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:39 PM

9,587 posts, read 10,939,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I agree. There's not only the dictionary definition, which calls into question the use of "geriatric" for this thread, but there's the common understanding of the meaning of the word, as in the adjective "geriatric" (pertaining to really old people) ward in a hospital or care facility.

OTOH, I wonder what age you would have to be to be in a "geriatric" ward in a hospital. Nurses here?

At any rate, I almost didn't open the thread because that word does not apply to anyone I know. My really elderly relatives and friends, who would be just called old or elderly, have died. I doubt any boomer sees himself/herself as geriatric, even those with health problems.

Now about the use of the noun form of this word. There is no such thing as "a geriatric." There is a use of the noun "geriatrics"‚ which literally means: the branch of medicine or social science dealing with the health and care of old people.

(Wyoming, just jabbing you back for your ongoing needling about "literal" shoestring. You may live on a "figurative" shoestring; many others would say "literal"—not as in the shoestring, but as in the budget ).
That's fine; I'm correct as always.

Anyone who wishes more information may check a larger dictionary. The two in my library that I primarily use are the Merriam-Webster Second International (that's the 1933 edition) and OED II.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement