U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 12:55 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,306,152 times

Advertisements

'Silly me, I thought cigarette papers were just for making combustible cartridges for blackpowder guns.'

HiW, you always find a way to make me smile.

I get pretty good deals around town. I never thought to go to Amazon for food.

I get a lot of H+B items off of ebay, as well as books, clothes, car parts, tractor parts, Anderson window parts and vitamin supplements. Since I sell there I use the money from selling for my purchases, that means no real cash out of my bank account. No gas used as everything ships to my door.

I leave treats like Gatorade in Summer and candy in winter for my delivery folk. I am the most looked forward to delivery address in town.

I got a new moisturizer that was top rated for 1/4 of what the drugstore charges.

I signed on as a Stens dealer years ago for small engine parts. It's all web based, and every order is eight dollars flat fee shipping. As long as I submit two orders a year my account is current. All it took was a phone call and a credit card number.

I ordered belts for our mower decks and some really good fogging oil for various equipment around the ranch. I just got my new catalog and if they sell Sea Foam I will order half a case. It's ten bucks a can at Tractor Supply.

Each spring I order a dozen carb rebuild kits for his tractors. Ethanol kills them and they have to be rebuilt every spring, at least half of them do.

We needed new throttle springs for our generator, got those at Stens, too.

I've been to Costco and their prices didn't impress me. We don't have one here, only BJ's. Wasn't impressed. I do far better at Price Chopper, Hannaford and Price Right then at WalMart.

We have very limited space for pantry and food, that will change when we move so Costco may be in my future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 10:17 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,850,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
'Silly me, I thought cigarette papers were just for making combustible cartridges for blackpowder guns.'

I get a lot of H+B items off of ebay, as well as books, clothes, car parts, tractor parts, Anderson window parts and vitamin supplements. Since I sell there I use the money from selling for my purchases, that means no real cash out of my bank account. No gas used as everything ships to my door.

I leave treats like Gatorade in Summer and candy in winter for my delivery folk. I am the most looked forward to delivery address in town.

I got a new moisturizer that was top rated for 1/4 of what the drugstore charges.

I signed on as a Stens dealer years ago for small engine parts. It's all web based, and every order is eight dollars flat fee shipping. As long as I submit two orders a year my account is current. All it took was a phone call and a credit card number.

I ordered belts for our mower decks and some really good fogging oil for various equipment around the ranch. I just got my new catalog and if they sell Sea Foam I will order half a case. It's ten bucks a can at Tractor Supply.

Each spring I order a dozen carb rebuild kits for his tractors. Ethanol kills them and they have to be rebuilt every spring, at least half of them do.

I've been to Costco and their prices didn't impress me. We don't have one here, only BJ's. Wasn't impressed. I do far better at Price Chopper, Hannaford and Price Right then at WalMart.

We have very limited space for pantry and food, that will change when we move so Costco may be in my future.

Do you get other people's delivery just so they can get candy? I will drop off Mrs O'Leary's garden hose in a couple of weeks. I prefer Milkyway.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:31 PM

Gduo, I leave treats when I have stuff going out. Today I left her a small bag of sugar free lemon drops

I wait until after Halloween for the serious candy buy. Hannaford has it all at 75 percent off. Unfortunately, Halloween is on a Friday and that is my shopping day, so it will be slim pickings for me a week later.

Last year I did really well, they waay over ordered for the holiday and they had huge bags on the shelves for weeks after.

I mete it out in small ziploc bags, our new carrier is extremely heavy and I don't want to encourage any gains, poor kid, she's absolutely beautiful inside and out. And so young......

Old 10-31-2014, 06:13 AM

9,583 posts, read 10,930,257 times
Here are some neat ways to save money. I am reminded of something else: be sure to cover your porch couch for the winter. When you consider the cost of tape garbage bags are probably cheaper than free grocery bags.

15 Redneck Fixes That Are Kinda Brilliant

Old 10-31-2014, 01:02 PM

HiW, you really are psychic; I keep looking at the porch set and think, MAN I've got to get that stacked up and covered.

I covered the generator last year with an old plastic shower curtain which I hoard, they do come in handy. The darn generator has some algae spots.

OMG those fixes are hilarious.......

Old 12-11-2014, 12:42 PM

ALERT ALERT ALERT

Walmart is offering free shipping on all orders of any size today only. This is great for small items including groceries. While most groceries are in case lots, there are many exceptions. They have V8 original in 64 oz. bottles. The limit is four, but you may be able to place additional orders. There are Mezzetta olives in single jars so you can try varieties that you haven't seen in the store.

Walmart.com: Save money. Live better.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:28 PM

It seems that lately we've been experiencing cold weather in many areas. It's the time of the year for hot and hearty meals. I just ordered this very yummy-looking cassoulet recipe kit and received 15% off. French peasants do know how to eat.

French cassoulet recipe, Cassoulet Kit, Preserved Duck, Sausage and White Beans Casserole, Gourmet Food Online, French Cassoulet Recipe A La Gascon With Duck Sausage & White Beans

Old 01-06-2015, 03:50 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,067,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It seems that lately we've been experiencing cold weather in many areas. It's the time of the year for hot and hearty meals. I just ordered this very yummy-looking cassoulet recipe kit and received 15% off. French peasants do know how to eat.

French cassoulet recipe, Cassoulet Kit, Preserved Duck, Sausage and White Beans Casserole, Gourmet Food Online, French Cassoulet Recipe A La Gascon With Duck Sausage & White Beans
$100+ dollars for the ingredients! .
After making and eating it, p.lease post back and give us a review. I'd love to know how it turned out, both the cooking process and the final product.

I made an Irish Guinness Stew today. Ingredients, not counting the thyme and cayenne, cost $12-$15. We'll get 6-8 meals out of it.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:29 AM

33,046 posts, read 22,067,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

Motorcycle parts?

Old 01-16-2015, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
$100+ dollars for the ingredients! .
After making and eating it, p.lease post back and give us a review. I'd love to know how it turned out, both the cooking process and the final product.

I made an Irish Guinness Stew today. Ingredients, not counting the thyme and cayenne, cost $12-$15. We'll get 6-8 meals out of it.
Cooking was easy and straightforward. The results were very good if not spectacular. I will have it again,

I had planned on freezing half after I cooked it, but I ate it all in two days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement